Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Bob Leone

Good idea or not

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to put the first chapter of my book on my website.

Is that effective? Any experience with doing this?

• Like 1

I have no experience with this, but from what I've learned here it should be a way of hooking them. Then all you need to do is reel them in. Perhaps a link (appropriate of course) for more information at the end. I'm pretty sure there's a thread or two on the site about this very question, possibly under advertising, or readership, or something along those lines. Lynn may know.

• Like 2

Weellll...from all I've read, it's really not a good idea. Kristen Lamb answered this question:

"My answer was, 'Depends on what you’re posting. Most everything yes, in limited quantity. Chapters of a novel? No. No. Definitely…um, no.'”

It's difficult to get feedback if that's what you're looking for. But two big things: 1) it sets you up to being pirated, and 2) some traditional publishers (if you're going to go this route) will not accept your work. So, IMHO (in my humble opinion), though someone else may disagree with me, the answer is no. I would not do it.

• Like 2

I'm no expert, but I think I'd err on the side of caution, especially with how shady people on the internet can be in today's age. Maybe put a summary of your story on your website, so long as there's obvious copyright warnings and maybe a watermark in the background? 

• Like 3

Yes, that's a much better idea  to put a plot summary of your story on the internet.  That way you are safe from thieves, traditional publishers will accept your work and you still get to hook the reader.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bob Leone said:

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to put the first chapter of my book on my website.

Is that effective? Any experience with doing this?

My experience comes from the reader/book-buyer side, and I'm thinking it depends on your audience in the oddest way.

When I was young, we were book-buying fiends. We have seven bookcases and all were jammed packed with books. It had to slow down once the books spilled into piles in just about every room in the house. So now I only buy books that I know I'll read more than once. (And often that's when I buy them -- at second reading. I use the library for much of my reading pleasure.) To do that, I'll read whatever Amazon lets me read, when I find a book that interest me. But I also judge it by whether I'd read it twice, or even if I can simply put it down at the end of that reading with no need to pick it up again. I buy a lot less books now because of that. 

So who is your audience? If it's younger people/book-buying fiends, I wouldn't. You'll get a lot less people truly buying the book if you do it that way. (I've bought a lot of meh/it's okay reads in my life.) But if it is anything but escapism reading/a fun read, then go for it. Because if you can prove your expertise in the subject by the end of the first chapter, I suspect you'll get more readers that way.

• Like 1

Thank you for all of your inputs.

I appreciate it.

I think maybe I'll do a summary and/or fun character introductions.

• Like 1

Having some fun character intros sounds like a good way to pique a bit more reader interest, but I'd be careful with those, too; you don't people stealing or ripping off the stars of your story. Granted, no characters are truly original anymore, but still, better safe than sorry.

• Like 1

I think no matter what you put out there, there are always unscrupulous people that want to rip you off. 

Even when you get a book published and copyrighted, some will find a way around it.  Look at all the lawsuits that have come up. 

@CM24 thank you for your advice. I will try and be careful and also put a copyright warning on anything I post. And if someone makes millions on one of my characters or idea, then I will have a defense.