Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Alley

Mail list backup question

I recently read that GDPR (not that I know what that is) guidelines have specific privacy protection regulations when dealing with email lists. Something about saving them in a CSV file. (Again no idea!) Can someone break this down for me, and explain how I can legally, and safely back up a mailing list? As you can tell, I am not a tech person, so let's pretend I know only slightly more than grandma. ?

I think GDPR is a reference to the new laws in Europe. Basically you have to provide the option for them to opt out. (I think). As for the CSV file, that's a common file used for export of email address. comma delimiting if memory serves (but it is getting old and the read write rate has slowed quite a bit.) Make it more complaint with different programs.

GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) is what Z said. And you must have it in place on your website, a statement of a cookie policy and any info gathering of visitors. Any person filling out a subscription option on your site gives their permission to be a subscriber. In your GDPR privacy/cookie policy statement, you must explain how you plan to use the personal data that you collect.

Also...

"Under the GDPR, an individual has the right to ask for Personal Data you hold on them. You must be able to provide this to them within a set timeframe (currently 30 days) and in the case of a Data Portability request in a machine-readable format. For a Subject Access Request, you may need to provide both data fields (e.g. Telephone number) as well as attachments. This document covers both scenarios."

However, I've never heard of anyone asking for this information. But here are some scenarios that might:

image.thumb.png.b7993ab8e646bf20fa29077415c52a99.png

2 hours ago, lynnmosher said:

is what Z said

Woo Hoo, remembered right! The old data files still have some use.

Yes, you can but you must be sure it is worded properly, that it lists all that your site, as in plugins, subscribing, etc., does with the info it gathers. If you use any analytics or whatever.

Right, SW. Just making sure Alley understands there are numerous points that need to be included. ;)

In fact, @Alley do your due diligence and research this and what is required for you to post on your site. :)

21 hours ago, lynnmosher said:

In fact, @Alley do your due diligence and research this and what is required for you to post on your site. :)

Yes, this is highly important. Thank you for the reminder!! As for doing it... ????