Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

So we've pretty much established that I struggle with writing. I sometimes get spurts of brilliant and inspired compositions, but they aren't that frequent. ūüėē

I've thought numerous habits and things would help me. A few of them have contributed somewhat, but mostly they tell me I'm stupid & incapable of writing anything worthwhile.

And while working a job - a real one - doesn't interest me all that much nowadays, it may be my only option.

While I still enjoy reading a bit, my fondness for it has diminished tons. I still have several books that I haven't done more than glance at. I tell myself to read books by author-friends on Facebook (because they gave me their book), but I've only read 2 or 3 of them and it's been a while. I still have books in genres and series that I once loved to read.

Ever heard of the Love-Inspired Suspense series? I really love them. They are written in pretty much the genre I consider my own. And yet I have a few that I've not read yet. They've been sitting on my shelf in my room for ... a while now.

I can't seem to revive my fondness for reading. Or for writing. ūüėʬ†I don't know what to do anymore.

1 hour ago, KR LaLonde said:

they tell me I'm stupid & incapable of writing anything worthwhile.

That is just not the truth.  I've read some of your writing, and I very much enjoyed it.  You have good plots, and you write well.  It is worthwhile!

I sometimes get spurts of brilliant and inspired compositions, but they aren't that frequent.

I definitely understand what you're saying here.  But over the couple years I've been writing, I've learned one thing.  You can't wait for the inspiration.  I'm rarely, if ever, inspired.  You've just got to sit down and write.  The first part will be hard, but it gets easier as you go along.  Just like anything, the key is consistency.  Write some every day.  It doesn't matter if it's a hundred words or a thousand as long as you've written.  And it will start to come easier as time goes by. 

Ever heard of the Love-Inspired Suspense series?

Yes!  I've read several of them.  Maybe you should try reading for an hour or so a day.  Once you get into a story, you might start to enjoy it more. 

3 minutes ago, HK1 said:

Once you get into a story, you might start to enjoy it more. 

I suppose it's possible I'll find my reading mojo again. I sometimes fear it's gone for good. :(

If you knew how much time I have every day to devote to writing, you'd understand even more how frustrated I am.

1 minute ago, KR LaLonde said:

I sometimes fear it's gone for good.

I doubt that.  Sometimes, we all go through times when we don't enjoy things as much as we once did.  Maybe try reading a book out of your genre.  Reading something new might help.  If you like romantic suspense, try fantasy or historical.

2 minutes ago, KR LaLonde said:

If you knew how much time I have every day to devote to writing, you'd understand even more how frustrated I am.

But I also understand getting distracted by other things :)  Just set aside a couple hours when you will write.  That will give you more of a schedule.

• Like 1

Just now, HK1 said:

If you like romantic suspense, try fantasy or historical.

I guess that might be worth trying. I'm not sure what I'd read, though. I'll probably end up perusing a French book.

1 minute ago, HK1 said:

That will give you more of a schedule.

I suppose you're right. I tend to write with more concentration when we're in the car for an extended period of time. But that's not very frequent.

I'm not sure what I'd read, though.

You should try Prophet by R.J. Larson.  It's a fantasy book, but from what I remember, it's set in a time similar to the Old Testament times. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KR LaLonde said:

Me?

You're asking me that question?!

:D  That is always a hard question!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kendra, I know it's difficult for you but try not to be so hard on yourself. If you berate yourself, you make yourself feel worse. Instead, congratulate yourself for how far you've come and what you are able to do. Those who have read your work think you're doing very well. So, take a break now and then when you get frustrated and do something else. Do you have a hobby, something else you love to do?

• Like 2

1st, I apologize for my late response. I didn't know this had been responded to.

Secondly, my biggest hobby before my TBI was reading. Then I graduated to writing, but not long after the TBI. Writing is pretty much all I can do, really, though I've done a little craft-type work to break things up a little. I'm just not very artistic. Honestly, writing is the 1st, 2nd and 3rd top things I like doing (and that I do well).

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, HK1 said:

Do you have a favorite author?

I don't even have a favorite multi-author series. I used to read the LIS books all the time. I have at least 40 in my room - most of which I've read. But, no thanks to my abrupt end to wanting to read (about a year ago), I haven't read some of them. Or several books that were gifted to me by the authors.

I feel so ashamed. :(

Edited by KR LaLonde

Honestly, writing is the 1st, 2nd and 3rd top things I like doing (and that I do well).

Aha! Gotcha! You said it yourself! That which you can do well! See? Keep telling yourself that and don't let that other Kendra tell you otherwise! ;):D

Hold on. I only meant that I do it better than I do anything else. Not that it's actually good writing. Of course, yes, I have been told by more than one person that my writing is good. Except several people told me the same about my book covers (cover art) and that's no longer worth doing.

My point is that you believe in yourself but you don't enforce it enough. Don't let the negativity overrule the positive. ūüĖ§

• Like 1

I know you're right. In my head.

I just don't think if I don't finish something then I'm no good.

How about one of those read through the Bible in a year programs?  That's reading!

Just try to be kinder to yourself. If you had a best friend in this position, what would you say to him/her? The negative or the positive? Treat yourself as that best friend. ;)

It's worth trying (at the very least). My dad has this "weird" goal every year of reading the Bible through in French, English and (or was it just those two?).

• Like 1

Just now, lynnmosher said:

Treat yourself as that best friend.

That's good.

Of course, there's also the fact that Jesus lives in me and when I treat myself badly I'm treating Him badly, too. (my dad has been rubbing off on me for years)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KR LaLonde said:

My dad has this "weird" goal every year of reading the Bible through in French, English and (or was it just those two?).

That's great!  English is hard enough for me :D

Yeah. I'm not sure why I end up stopping whenever I try to get into reading it. I'd have done it a few times (at least) by now.

22 minutes ago, KR LaLonde said:

Of course, there's also the fact that Jesus lives in me and when I treat myself badly I'm treating Him badly, too

Amen, Kendra! ūüĎĆ

• Like 1