Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Writer4Jesus

Mother's Day Blues

Hi, everyone!  Happy Mother's Day to all you mom's out there!

I wish I could be in a more cheerful mood, but unfortunately I'm not.:(  I've been trying to press on with my writing, but sometimes I don't even feel like doing that.  I was sooo depressed yesterday, that I went for a walk and didn't really feel like coming back.  It's just my teenage (13) grandson and "not all there" husband and me.  I feel so under-appreciated.  Even today, talking with other ladies, at church, that were talking to each other about the restaurant they were going to eat at (they were mostly grandma's) and a friend that came by, as she was on her way to taking her daughter and son out to eat. 

What do I get to do?  Come home, wash dishes, cook supper and finish hanging and folding up clothes (Yay)!  I should be used to it by now, since my life is like this every year.  Mainly because we never have the money or a car to do anything with.  It was the same way, recently, when we "celebrated" our 34th wedding anniversary.  We stayed home and I cooked as usual.:(

Sorry for the venting, everyone, but I just feel so insignificant!  What would they do without me?

Ok, I'm done venting, now.

• Like 2

Linda, I understand your feelings. I've been there somewhat and still there on certain things. But you know what I've learned? These bad feelings fuel more bad feelings that fuel more...ad nauseum! UNLESS...unless there's an attitude of gratitude.

Over the years, I've learned that finding things to be grateful for have overshadowed the negative things. Things I praise the Lord for, grateful for the doesn'ts: that hubby isn't an alcoholic or an addict to something, that he doesn't run around, that he doesn't stay out late, that he isn't abusive, that he isn't self-centered, that he isn't prideful...well, you get the idea.

It is hard sometimes and, occasionally, praise and thanksgiving are done through gritted teeth but they (the praise and thanksgiving, not the teeth!) do change the heart and the attitude. Hangeth thou in there, dear Linda. Thou art loved beyond compare. Praying for you. ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Linda Delgado said:

What would they do without me?

That's something I need to remind myself of often. Every single day. After all, I could be in a comatose state in a hospital where no one cares about me in a personal way. Or even in a rehab center barely learning how to walk again. But thanks to my loving parents, I'm back to at least 90% of what I used to be. My mom wouldn't let me refuse to do anything the doctors recommended. As a result, I got this much better.

I want to encourage you, though, in that being underappreciated is an opportunity. I sometimes wish I could send my parents away on a vacation. They would "get away from me" for a while, and relax on top of that. They're both so busy with church duties and life - add taking care of me to that and you've got what I call a mess.

I wish I could suggest something like "go take a vacation of your own!" but you said money is tight, so that kind of narrows down the possibilities. Perhaps your grandson could go spend the night at a friend's house?

*shrugs* Just a thought. I'll be praying for you.

• Like 1

Sometimes it makes you feel better to vent, someone to listen to you.  I am praying for you.

• Like 1

A bit late, but three things come to mind:

1. Ask for what you want, and want what you ask for.

2. Men don't get female-subtle often, so don't ask them to.

3. What happened to Sabbath rest?

Longer explanations:

1. Doing something special doesn't require money or a car. When we were kids, we had neither, however, Mom got something special for Mother's Day. Usually in the form of breakfast in bed. Always a homemade card. (Even as a teenager, I made her cards. The cards just got more refined. I'd say my writing and drawing skills improved, but I'm sure Mom loved my first cards as much as my last cards. Maybe a little more, since my sarcasm grew the most in my teen years. :$) And we did something for her that day. Sometimes laundry. Sometimes dishes. Sometimes just taking her out in the yard to show her what cool thing we were doing out there. But we did something for or with her that made the day a little more special. And without money or a car.

2. My husband really does love me, but he's not good at remembering dates. Especially to the level I remember dates. (I remember the day I told him I loved him, two days later when he said he loved me, our first official first date, what day we met, along with anniversary and birthdays. It's a weird thing I have.) So, I give him a two week heads-up on when my birthday is coming, or when our anniversary is coming. After 38 years, he sometimes already remembers, but why chance it with subtle hints, when I can just tell him. And, if need be, tell him what I want on that day. (I give him choices, so I'll be surprised. And sometimes he does surprise me by giving me something different, but it is along the lines of what I was thinking.) Don't do subtle. Just say it.

3. The Sabbath rest was made for Man. Man was not made for the Sabbath. That weekly rest recharges us. If that weren't true, then God wouldn't have given it to us. And he wouldn't have given resting the earth, if the soil didn't need it too. Don't take it, and we get all kinds of weary. You sound like you aren't taking it. I get sometimes we can't. (Usually regarding taking care of someone who is unwell.) But it doesn't sound like that's the reason you're not doing it. Pick a day to rest. Preferably take the same day to rest as a family, but if not, then someone else makes dinner and worries about the laundry on your day off. And if you take it together, sandwiches or leftovers reheated for dinner.

But Sabbath rest means more than that. Our rest is in the Lord. That's where we seek our rest. In him. And in him, takes us outside ourselves, so we aren't thinking inward constantly. That too is a much needed resting spot.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Linda Delgado said:

I feel so under-appreciated.

Linda: I have had this feeling in the past. God sees all you do and knows you are hurting.  I will pray for you as you look to Him for comfort.

Posted (edited)

Thank you everyone for all your prayers and thoughtful words!  I really appreciate it.  I went to the Women's Ministry Bible Study tonight and I feel much better!  I did ask to be place on the church's prayer chain, as well and received many uplifting words from them, too!  Thanks again!:D

Edited by Linda Delgado
  • Like 2

You wrote, "I was sooo depressed yesterday, that I went for a walk and didn't really feel like coming back".

Thirty-four years, wow.  That is a great accomplishment for two people that are not related.

Truth be told, it does get that way sometimes and often.  It is what we do when that emotion and feeling arise within taking over-which is not easy.

You came to a safe place.  What you have done is reached out.  Now, you have numerous believers praying for you and with you. 

God be with you.  God is with you.  Jesus said He will never leave you nor forsake you (Hebrews 13:5/6).

Love Always in Christ

Thank you everyone for your kind words and continued support.?

Just dealing with alot of stress.  My husband goes for a CT Scan tomorrow morning.  This very well planned out by the Dr. and I.  We had to make him believe it was a much needed "follow-up", as otherwise he would not have agreed to it.

I've been wondering all along that it's possible that he's been have "mini-strokes".  Just had no way to prove it.  Hopefully we'll get some answers tomorrow morning (although I know that we will have to wait a few days before we find out anything).