Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Bob Leone

what platform for Blog

Where do you think is the best website to start a blog to start your a fan base for your book?

Or does it matter? Or can you use a website to accomplish the same thing? Don't know which direction to go.

1 minute ago, Rebecca said:

My opinion? Wordpress, hands down.

Why is Wordpress better? 

A website can be also be used as a blog. Mine is. And yes, I agree with Rebecca. Wordpress! Wordpress is the standard. So many themes, plugins, etc., are developed for WP.

However...if you don't want to steep yourself into all that goes into maintaining a site (a lot more than you realize) or if you don't want to spend the time, effort, or finances on a personalized, self-hosted site, then I'd look into the free side of Wordpress. I don't know how much you have to do in upkeep with it, but if you ever decide to switch over to the paid side and have a self-hosted site, it's soooo much easier than trying to transfer from somewhere else.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

Wordpress is the standard. So many themes, plugins, etc., are developed for WP.

What Lynn said. Also, it's the most user-friendly option for someone who needs flexibility, but isn't a programmer. You should still expect a steep learning curve if you're planning to build the site yourself. I recommend the hosted version on Wordpress.com if you're new to all this.

I'm a professional web developer (day job), so I know whereof I speak. ;)

• Like 1

I have my own website that I have been using since 2002 ,  www.aimhigherbooks.com

It has gone through many changes since then. At one time I had 20,000 followers but that was when I had my Human Beans comic stories going and posting them monthly. Since I stopped drawing Human Beans my traffic has gone down considerably.

So I guess that I am starting all over again to design a new index page and figure out how to make it more like an active  blog. When I had the Human Beans stories going I used My Space (I know that's dating me) to build a following and word of mouth. I guess I'll have to start using the new social platforms now. 

2 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

I'm a professional web developer (day job), so I know whereof I speak. ;)

Very cool. I designed my own website using HTML language only. There are so many new ways to do it now-a-days, so I guess this old dog needs to learn new tricks?

The best? Asking me what's the best is like asking me if coffee is better than beer. I've had both, didn't like either, so don't pay attention to them.

I am equally as knowledgeable about blogs, (except I've blogged for fun in the past.)

How about if I tell you what I know, and you realize you're reading this from someone with the skill levels of a first-grader, (in the 1960s, because it just dawned on me, that first-graders in the 21st century can probably do blogs. :$)

I don't do Blogger/BlogSpot/Whatever-Google-is-calling-it-now, anymore, because they keep changing it in ways that mess up previous versions of content. And because the dashboard is as easy to use as riding a unicycle on a high wire. (Remember this is the understanding of a 20th century first grader, so if you've got skills I don't have, you'll probably disagree.)

I have chosen Word Press. Harder to start than Google's platform(s), but at least they don't change it on you all the time. Just make sure it has multiple pages on it when you start, because depending on which template you choose, that's not an option later on. (And I know I want an author's page, a story page, book page, and character's page, but I haven't really settled on how to do it all yet.)

Biggest thing I've learned is to own, (which really means "rent," but they keep calling it "own"), your own URL. Make it something you can live with for the rest of your career/life. And when it comes time to have an author's page, connect it to whichever platform you choose. I do have a Word Press blog that I haven't bothered with in years, however I "own" teddybearstores.org, because one day my teddy bear stories will be published, and someone looking for teddy bear stories will find it. (Don't bother finding it. It is my blog, but it hasn't been used since I started writing this novel. Oh, and it's still connected to Google's platform.) Since I'll be doing teddy bear stories for my life, it works for me. It wouldn't, if I planned on crossing genres.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Spaulding said:

've had both, didn't like either

Don't like coffee???????????????

and you call yourself a writer!!!!😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Bob Leone said:

Where do you think is the best website to start a blog to start your a fan base for your book?

Or does it matter? Or can you use a website to accomplish the same thing? Don't know which direction to go.

I recommend wordpress.

You just have to choose what host you want to use. I use Bluehost

• Like 2

I think that I am getting the idea. Wordpress is like GoDaddy, squarespace, or and of the other thousands of website or blog builders. So they are just used to build your Website or Blog, they don't promote your site, that is still up to you. Am I correct? 

Not exactly. GoDaddy is a host that you pay to house your site. The construction crew (tool) for creating your e-home is Wordpress as well as Squarespace.  ;)

• Like 1

I think I am going to revamp my website.  And make it interactive. Since I have had it for so long and is paid for. Thanks for all the inputs, I am always learning something new. 

here's something new to learn - The pattern of music goes in 5ths for sharps, and 4th's for flats.

The 5th is called the dominant mode, and the 4th is the subdominant.

There!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Wordpress is the most popular one for some reason, but there are many others that can be used to create a great-looking website: Joomla, Squarespace, Wix, Weebly etc. If you also want to add a forum to your site, you can do that by using the CMSs offered by Woltlab or Invision Community (which are scripts that can create both websites and forums). Of course, many of those scripts cost a lot of money. While Wordpress does have some forum add-ons, I would not recommend them because they are quite basic in comparison to Woltlab and Invision Community.

Personally, I've found Wordpress' learning curve to be a lot steeper than Invision Community's (the script that this forum is running on; yes, I have used it in the past for a forum I used to administrate). I got the hang of the Invision Community admin panel in about a week. With my Wordpress blog, it's been 4 months and I still struggle to understand a large part of how it works.

If you want something completely free, just use Tumblr. Your blog will have an URL like this: myblogname.tumblr.com, where "myblogname" is the name you choose for your blog (for example your name or your pen name). If you can spare a few dollars, go to namecheap.com and purchase a domain name, then direct it to your tumblr blog, so that instead of myblogname.tumblr.com it will be myblogname.com (or .net or .org). You can find detailed instructions on how to link your namecheap domain to your tumblr blog here: https://www.namecheap.com/support/knowledgebase/article.aspx/9247/2208/how-do-i-use-my-domain-with-my-tumblr-account

Edited by Lucian Hodoboc
  • Like 1