Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Am I being paranoid? Probably, but I'm curious. How many believe that business are only after your personal information for some reason and then fail to protect it adequately?

I think it's at a pandemic level and fight back all the time. Quite possibly costing me something in the end. 

If you're talking the big tech companies (like Facebook, Google, etc.) then you're correct. They're after your personal information so they can either sell it or target you for ads. Creepy stuff.

• Like 1

I've been against this for quite some time. The recent event was trying to warranty a $20 coffee maker.

They wanted name,  address, zip code, email before they asked for any information about the product.

Then they had to have a physical address and return of parts at my cost. Wife told them it wasn't worth it at that point. This all before they would ask their questions to determine it was a warranty request. 

I would have stopped long before simply because the person on the other end wasn't listening and asking questions already answered or stated multiple times. 

All of this could have been gathered AFTER determining the item was warranted. Including answering the demeaning questions like; you have it plugged in, you tried another plug to make sure its working, you did put water in it, what kind of water, you did turn it on....

I know there's those people out there, but really? They assume your an idiot and you have to prove your not for a product that's out of production and will be replaced by an "upgraded" product. 

Sorry for the rant. I'm done. 

When shopping at the tool store, I got to mess with the guys behind the counter! 😂

He rang my stuff up, and before telling me, the total says, "phone number." 

Me: NO! 

Him: Completely baffled. "What?" 

Me: I'm married. 

Him: No it's for the store. 

Me: Not interested in that either. 

Him: No, I mean the store needs your number for this transaction. 

Me: Why? 

Him: In case you want to return something. 

Me: Then what is the receipt for? 

Him: Umm...

Me: Ring it up without my number. 

Him: Can I do that? 

Me: You better if you want this sale. 

Wouldn't you know it, you don't have to give them anything. It's kind of scary that the cashier did not know that. More so that no one ever said no. 😳

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

Oh, too funny, Alley!

I might have a small sarcastic side. 😁

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Sadly the only people I've ever seen question their requests is a person over 45. Rarely 35 and up, never under that.

Gee why does my identity keep getting stolen?

My personal practice, make them explain why they need it and unless it's a reasonable request, deny dodge and deflect. Makes my wife upset sometimes. 

Edited by zx1ninja
Addition
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, zx1ninja said:

My personal practice, make them explain why they need it and unless it's a reasonable request, deny dodge and deflect. Makes my wife upset sometimes. 

My dad is one of the people that think the cashier needs to be chewed out for it, before storming out of the store. That drives me nuts. It's not the cashier's fault; he or she is only doing their job. 

30 minutes ago, Alley said:

I might have a small sarcastic side. 😁

I'm told that I'm just mean about it. 

The last time we bought a major appliance the sales person said it had a lifetime warranty. They were dumbfounded when I asked, who's life?

Long story short, lifetime warranty is seven (7) years legally when I looked it up. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alley said:

My dad is one of the people that think the cashier needs to be chewed out for it, before storming out of the store.

I'm not that bad, I've actually told them "I know it's not you, but ..."

4 minutes ago, zx1ninja said:

last time we bought a major appliance the sales person said it had a lifetime warranty. They were dumbfounded when I asked, who's life?

😂 I have asked that and had the mixed reactions. Some laugh and some get confused. 

5 minutes ago, zx1ninja said:

lifetime warranty is seven (7) years legally when I looked it up. 

A dog's life? 😄

Now, after reading this further, there is something I'm wondering about.

Last weekend, I got myself a haircut.  The barber asked me to write down my name, address, phone number, and e-mail address.  I have no idea why he asked me to do that.

26 minutes ago, William D'Andrea said:

Last weekend, I got myself a haircut.  The barber asked me to write down my name, address, phone number, and e-mail address.  I have no idea why he asked me to do that.

That's the perfect example of data mining that I'm talking about.

Why does he need it? - There is no legitimate reason he would need that information that I can come up with.

The Dr offices always ask for my SS. I refuse, they get upset. Come to find out they just get it back fed to them from the insurance company. the very same one that announced a data breach three years ago.

What is he going to do with it? - the possibilities are endless. Some legitimate, some not.

15 hours ago, zx1ninja said:

I've been against this for quite some time. The recent event was trying to warranty a $20 coffee maker.

They wanted name,  address, zip code, email before they asked for any information about the product.

Then they had to have a physical address and return of parts at my cost. Wife told them it wasn't worth it at that point. This all before they would ask their questions to determine it was a warranty request. 

I would have stopped long before simply because the person on the other end wasn't listening and asking questions already answered or stated multiple times. 

All of this could have been gathered AFTER determining the item was warranted. Including answering the demeaning questions like; you have it plugged in, you tried another plug to make sure its working, you did put water in it, what kind of water, you did turn it on....

I know there's those people out there, but really? They assume your an idiot and you have to prove your not for a product that's out of production and will be replaced by an "upgraded" product. 

Sorry for the rant. I'm done. 

Did you plug in your heating unit? Did you turn down the thermostat? Did your dog use it as a fire hydrant?

Guess what I used to do for a living? :$

But at least that was back in the olden-days before every piece of information had to be plugged into the computer. I asked to avoid having the maintenance men go out to fix a heater that wasn't broken. (It didn't go on because it is set at 55, but it's 70 outside.) 

Today they have to ask all those questions because they are stuck on a computer that won't let them go forward until that question is answered. How's this for a compromise? The person thinks there is a 10% chance you are an idiot. (No, honey. We don't change your light bulbs for you. And, no, it isn't our fault your light bulb blew. Stop washing it with a wet facecloth after it's been on for an hour.) The rest of the time, they're just stuck saying all that stuff to avoid getting fired. They simply can't say that for the same reason I didn't tell "honey" that. That doesn't always stop me from hanging up on stupidest-customer-service-call-ever, but it does give me compassion for the poor person stuck with that job.

15 hours ago, Alley said:

When shopping at the tool store, I got to mess with the guys behind the counter! 😂

He rang my stuff up, and before telling me, the total says, "phone number." 

Me: NO! 

Him: Completely baffled. "What?" 

Me: I'm married. 

Him: No it's for the store. 

Me: Not interested in that either. 

Him: No, I mean the store needs your number for this transaction. 

Me: Why? 

Him: In case you want to return something. 

Me: Then what is the receipt for? 

Him: Umm...

Me: Ring it up without my number. 

Him: Can I do that? 

Me: You better if you want this sale. 

Wouldn't you know it, you don't have to give them anything. It's kind of scary that the cashier did not know that. More so that no one ever said no. 😳

My substitute number when I don't want to give away mine -- 215, (local area code for Philly), 438-7325. 

Same phone number I gave a boss once after he insisted I give him a way to call me on my vacation. (And I was going to a fishing cabin with no phone for a week.) aka 215-GET-REAL.

But I was nice to him. I spelled it out. ;)

14 hours ago, zx1ninja said:

I'm told that I'm just mean about it. 

The last time we bought a major appliance the sales person said it had a lifetime warranty. They were dumbfounded when I asked, who's life?

Long story short, lifetime warranty is seven (7) years legally when I looked it up. 

Laz-E-Boy told me their lifetime warranty was my lifetime. 12 years later, they "honored" it, only it cost me $175 for the service call, a trip to an upholstery store to recreate a cushion seat, and upholster it for another $175, another $175 to come back the second time, only to be told he can't use that, (and it was the same guy who told me to do it that way), so when I complained, I got $175 back. New chair. Guess if it's a Laz-E-Boy. ¬¬

14 hours ago, William D'Andrea said:

Expect sales marketing pitches from the barbershop in your email and snail-mail. If you get an increase in phone scams, and email scams, that's possibly the cause too. (Selling customer lists is profitable.)

I suspect you've done it before, so that's not the only place scams can come from.

Anyone who knows me, knows me as Lynn. Lynn is my nickname. My legal name is reserved for important business, (bills, doctors, banks, and IRS, although the IRS hasn't called me for decades. lol) Therefore, when I get business letters or phone calls asking for Lynn, I know it's a scam.

2 hours ago, Spaulding said:

Did you plug in your heating unit? Did you turn down the thermostat? Did your dog use it as a fire hydrant?

Guess what I used to do for a living? :$

But at least that was back in the olden-days before every piece of information had to be plugged into the computer. I asked to avoid having the maintenance men go out to fix a heater that wasn't broken. (It didn't go on because it is set at 55, but it's 70 outside.) 

Today they have to ask all those questions because they are stuck on a computer that won't let them go forward until that question is answered. How's this for a compromise? The person thinks there is a 10% chance you are an idiot. (No, honey. We don't change your light bulbs for you. And, no, it isn't our fault your light bulb blew. Stop washing it with a wet facecloth after it's been on for an hour.) The rest of the time, they're just stuck saying all that stuff to avoid getting fired. They simply can't say that for the same reason I didn't tell "honey" that. That doesn't always stop me from hanging up on stupidest-customer-service-call-ever, but it does give me compassion for the poor person stuck with that job.

You're right @Spaulding, I understand they are doing a job and I'm sorry you dealt with people like myself that get frustrated with what the company is having them do. 

It's like the "don't use the toaster in the tub" warning label, someone somewhere has done it. 

I also understand it's (again) the company telling him, follow the script, and I do try to keep that in mind. Although admittedly I'm not very successful. 

And on the quirkiest of chances I've done it to you, I am sorry, it's not you personally, it's what the company forced you to do. 

What lit me, and I wasn't the person on the phone, was this person ignored what she was saying. He could have said, okay, but I need to get some information before we start, or something to that effect. Instead he ignored her multiple times. 

And we don't get into the sales person that was on my porch an hour after I posted that lying to me. That's the worst. 

• Like 1

I was on the phone to help someone or to sell something. Helping someone usually meant something went wrong and they're not in a happy mood. I get that too, so I did try to get them in a better mood in the best possible way -- a good outcome. After all, angry customer usually means loss of business. No customers, no business. No business, no paycheck. The only time I took it personally is when "honey" locked a service man on her balcony before she went out for dinner. Nice service man and that was uncalled for. (I'm a bit of a Mama Bear. You don't mess with people around me.) So, if you ever yelled at me, I'm sure it was pure frustration. And there were times the frustration was caused by me. (I never thought of that cause when I should have.)

As for sales? I was great at sales, but I did it back in the days when one no was enough because "no is no," so I didn't waste your time. I wanted the person who wanted the product now.

BTW, if you want a stalker-free search engine, try DuckDuckGo. They don't track.