Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bill H

Old, but New

Hello fellow writers! I have long written music and felt called last year to write a novel (at the age of 58). I have completed my first manuscript, with editing help from journalistic family members, and am searching for avenues to publish (Christian fiction). 

I was born and raised in a God-fearing home and was saved at the age of seven. I walked away for a period of time in high school/young adult years, but came back with a renewed fervor at the age of 27. 

I have been writing and performing Praise and Worship music for several years and will now try and touch people with stories of God’s love and faithfulness through storytelling.

I have been married to my best friend for 32 years, and am the proud father of three. Two boys (30 and 28) and a princess (25). I have recently gained a new daughter (in-law) last month. I also have three puppies (80-90 lbs each) and two cats. I live in Southeast Florida so I enjoy the beach and the sun year-round. 

I look forward to becoming an integral part of this community. 

Blessings,

Bill H

Welcome to our writing family, Bill. Glad you joined us. Please consult with us before you do anything about publishing. There are lots of scammers out there just waiting to charge you an arm and a leg with not much in return. You'll find plenty of help, support, and encouragement around here, so roam around and make yourself at home. Blessings on your writing! :D

Welcome, welcome, Bill! It's great to meet you. God bless you and your writing. :D:D

You have a strange concept of "old," Kid. (I'm 63, so I can still call you a kid. xD) A stranger concept of "puppies." (How big are those dogs going to be? :oops:)

Also, said with experience, you might want some more help with the ms before trying for publishing. Journalist isn't the same as fiction writer. 

But welcome to ChristianWriters.

Hi Bill. 2 things interest me here: 1) your prolific output 2) the site response below which reads: 'Please consult with us before you do anything about publishing...' The comment is followed by a general warning that the site suffers from a ubiquitous plague of fraudulent, or at least misleading, publishing advice. To the mod alerting you, to you, and all members reading, I'm curious about this concept presented in a personal comment to a new member. Christian publishing is its own animal. Assuming naivete strikes me as condescending in the form presented. 1) If I were a mod, how could/should I presume you are not already informed 2) if this issue plagues new members here, should it not listed at the top of the site, officially?  3) since it is not, but is rather a personal comment, it strikes me as a ploy. That is ok, provided it is presented as such, e.g., with such admission stated up front. If it is in fact a problem here at Christian Writer's, it seems a disclaimer re same should appear prominently. Or an ad, if that is what it is. All thoughts welcome, to assist in my instruction as well, regarding all thoughts on website management relevant to marketing methods / urgent precautions for new members. Thanks much. 

4 hours ago, Jennifer Kent said:

Hi Bill. 2 things interest me here: 1) your prolific output 2) the site response below which reads: 'Please consult with us before you do anything about publishing...' The comment is followed by a general warning that the site suffers from a ubiquitous plague of fraudulent, or at least misleading, publishing advice. To the mod alerting you, to you, and all members reading, I'm curious about this concept presented in a personal comment to a new member. Christian publishing is its own animal. Assuming naivete strikes me as condescending in the form presented. 1) If I were a mod, how could/should I presume you are not already informed 2) if this issue plagues new members here, should it not listed at the top of the site, officially?  3) since it is not, but is rather a personal comment, it strikes me as a ploy. That is ok, provided it is presented as such, e.g., with such admission stated up front. If it is in fact a problem here at Christian Writer's, it seems a disclaimer re same should appear prominently. Or an ad, if that is what it is. All thoughts welcome, to assist in my instruction as well, regarding all thoughts on website management relevant to marketing methods / urgent precautions for new members. Thanks much. 

I think you misread it. Lynn told what was "out there" compared to what is "here." She's also a mod as compared to "the site."

And try Matt 18:15 next time.

5 hours ago, Jennifer Kent said:

If it is in fact a problem here at Christian Writer's, it seems a disclaimer re same should appear prominently. Or an ad, if that is what it is.

Jennifer, I'm sorry. Spaulding was right. I was trying to warn Bill of the scammers in the business of publishing/self-publishing. There are no scammers here. Hopefully. The members here are here to learn and to share their knowledge. We have no entity for publishing. We're just a group of silly but dedicated writers trying to learn and improve our craft while giving God the glory. Hope that clears things up. :D

Bill,

You have a lot going on in your family.  So happy for you.

Your commitment to writing and song at this point in life is encouraging.  

The timing could not have been better. 

Figuratively speaking, we take different paths in life, not realizing our passion.  I have just come to terms that I am a writer.  That realization is deep for me.  I am at the same point in life as you.  So thanks for sharing.

Welcome...we are glad you are here!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.