Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Faithrev/

A good Reader Or Writer?

At church, I find some are good at praying and not so good at reading and meditating the Scriptures, and vice-versa. This is, perhaps, typical amongst Christians generally and pastors have a work to do from both ends of the spectrum.

However, I read how a writer says, he is not good at reading. This is obviously true for many but how do we, in such a situation, cope with being well-informed on the information we dish out in our writing endeavors?

• Like 1

I agree. So, if we have a writing skill without much of a reading skill, how do we develop the reading?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Faithrev/ said:

So, if we have a writing skill without much of a reading skill, how do we develop the reading

As a person with dyslexia who struggled to read as a child, I recommend two things. First, find the kind of story you love. Second, practice, practice, practice! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It is like that old joke says:

A pedestrian on 57th Street sees a musician getting out of a cab and asks, “How do you get to Carnegie Hall?” Without pause, the artist replies wearily, “Practice.”

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bob Leone said:

Practice

Is he practicing walking so that he can get into the building? ?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bob Leone said:

@Alley Okay, for you we will assume that

I feel like the favorite blonde already. ?

Ok, back to the topic! 

• Like 1

A good one for a laugh. Thanks, Bob, and oh yes, Alley, I like what you said: finding what you love and then it's all practice. With a dyslexia experience, I respect your recommendation.

I can only guess, I have decoded correctly what Z has said, for me to say: No mate, no degree required to practice, but sometimes a good reason to look for one if not ready to practice, until ready to practice ?

• Like 3

What a great but simple idea, Nicola. Any likely issues or things to mind starting out? This might help someone. I haven't and have no idea.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Faithrev/ said:

Any likely issues or things to mind starting out?

I'd say equipment is the greatest issue.  Can one afford the mp3 device?  There are many audiobooks on CD already, and on sale at second hand bookstores, but ye olde CD player is following the way of the Dodo.  

There are places like Learning Ally and Libivox who supply books free, so one does not need a monthly subscription to Audible to listen!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 4/28/2019 at 11:24 AM, Nicola said:

There are places like Learning Ally and Libivox who supply books free, so one does not need a monthly subscription to Audible to listen!

Also, many libraries subscribe to an online audio book service, so all you need to listen to audio books for free is a library card and a smart phone or mp3 player. I can't really afford an Audible subscription, but I've found a lot of books to love through my library's audio book service, and although they have fewer books available than Audible, this has actually encouraged me to expand my reading range beyond my usual genres and authors.

So ask your local superhero (librarian) what your library has available if you want to listen to more audiobooks.

Edited by yowordworm
  • Like 3

A truly magic thing, this library card of which you speak. I found the article in Biblical Archaeology that inspired Heritage. I have artistic renderings of astronomic phenomena to grace my workspace. I'm building a computer. I can hold on to a hardcover book for up to ninety days.

Downside? I'm probably on a watchlist because I know how to make a dirty nuke and a fertilizer bomb. (Backstory research.)

Posted (edited)

Umm, thanks Carolinamtne, you just want us safe.

Come on, EClayRowe, u mean we are only safe until u turn rich? ?

Not to worry, w'll kidding. No one who wants to do that will reveal their intention like u did.

Getting us back on track, hey, yowordworm, you sure have my thumbs-up for a great help on the subject at hand. Many thanks!

Edited by Faithrev/
separate joined words.

Reader or writer?

Ah! Both!!

But to tell you the truth, I starting making books when I was 4 years old, but didn't learn to read until I was like 7.

Just read as much as you can. I know its something I have to work on. It helps to make it a priority- and hey, read books you enjoy and are interested in!

You fuel your car with gas, you gotta fuel your writing with reading. :D

• Like 2

I think I am the guy being referred to in the OP.  If not, no big deal.  I'm not a reader in the sense I like reading. I'm a utilitarian guy, and I read what I need to, when I need to.  What I absorb percolates like coffee on a stove, and I've absorbed quite a bit over the years.

I'm not a normal guy.  I originally wrote this long-winded piece citing chapter-and-verse on things in my life where people said, "if you don't do X, then you'll never be good at Y."  I can a dozen times where I've proven that train of thought wrong, but that's not the point (and it's petty on my part).

Writing a book is not unlike writing software.  There is the mechanics, and then there is the vision.  You can look at how other authors do things - the mechanics bit - but you don't have to read a book forward to back.  Vision, however, is something that comes from the heart, and it is fortified with knowledge and experience that often goes far beyond the minutiae of sentence structure and so on.  That's something reading isn't going to help.  It comes from somewhere else.  Vision has breath, and limbs, and a heart that beats in its chest.  

I've had lots of time to formulate vision.  I'd rather spend my time getting the words out onto the page, then reading someone else who has already done that very thing.  Maybe it's because I'm old and impatient, or maybe its something else entirely.

Or, as Christ put it - the Church is a body.  An eye is not an ear, an ear is not a foot, and if the body were all eyes, we'd never get anywhere, and never say anything.  (OK...so I'm paraphrasing.)  

Everyone if different from everyone else, and so you're going to have different approaches to the same problem.  Unlike the road to Heaven, other destinations have alternate paths that can be taken.  Some well trodden, some scenic, and some hard and long.  Thank God for that, because life would be boring without variety.

As for me?  I'm kinda done "reading."  It's time for me to actually say something.  I learn what I need to along the way.

• Like 1

Good on ya, Jeff. You made the point and I give you the grade. You did the reading at some stage in your journey and now you doing more of the writing.

On your responding in such detail, probably by first reading through all the post and responses, shows you still doing the reading though ?

On being the guy in the OP, I would say, maybe. It turns out you are; well, I'm glad, I got you then. 

Such a blessing, you are in. What you just shared, I guess, has fired up more conversation, that is, potentially. We see how that goes, but hey, welcome aboard, Jeff!