Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Accord64

2019: A Year of Nerd Mourning

Not a good year to be a nerd. ;)

1. Marvel will close out a story told across 22 movies (with End Game).

2. Game of Thrones will end. I'm one of probably eleven people in the world who never watched it, but apparently is was a big deal.

3. Star Wars will officially wrap up its saga after 42 years.

So, for us nerds, what's the next big thing?  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Accord64 said:

. Game of Thrones will end. I'm one of probably eleven people in the world who never watched it, but apparently is was a big deal.

I'm one of the eleven.  That makes two of us on the same site :D

3 hours ago, Accord64 said:

I'm one of probably eleven people in the world who never watched it

Make that 12 and 3 on here! :confused::rolleyes:o_O:oops::D

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Accord64 said:

I'm one of probably eleven people in the world who never watched it,

I watched about three episodes and quit. So may I join the club?

3 hours ago, Claire Tucker said:

So may I join the club?

Sure! Good to know that this club is bigger than I thought. :D

Not that I dislike that genera, but I never got HBO. And I never thought it was worth getting HBO just to watch one show.

It's very similar to the new Star Trek series (Discovery) only being available through CBS All Access. While I'm a Trek fan, there's no way I'm paying for a service just to get at one show. Besides, I've heard ST Discovery is not very good anyway.

17 hours ago, Accord64 said:

Not a good year to be a nerd. ;)

1. Marvel will close out a story told across 22 movies (with End Game).

2. Game of Thrones will end. I'm one of probably eleven people in the world who never watched it, but apparently is was a big deal.

3. Star Wars will officially wrap up its saga after 42 years.

So, for us nerds, what's the next big thing?  

When I was a kid, there was this new show that no one could ever outdo. Star Trek.

When I was a YA, there was this unbelievably great movie that came out. So good, most people watched it dozens to hundreds of times. Star Wars, (before it was titled "A New Hope.")

When I was 45 another great movie came out -- Lord of the Rings. Also Harry Potter.

When I was 53, there was this unbelievably good movie that came out -- Avatar.

(Oh, Marvel is pretty good, but we waited for streaming, so never got it in order, and never got half of it. Worth watching, but never got me excited in anticipation for the next one. And, the two Star Wars trilogies were great, but once Disney owned the franchise, it got bad. GoT? Sounded like a never-ending, pointless RPG, minus a main character, so didn't bother.)

I recently finished another best-book-ever series, but that one takes a different kind of nerd to enjoy it. I'm also a teddy-bear-stories nerd, and it was RPGLit with a teddy bear as protagonist.

It's been a long time since I worried there won't be a next-best-thing.

There could be some good stuff coming up. Here are some upcoming shows/ movies that might be of interest.

Amazon Lord Of The Rings series

X-Men Dark Phoenix and also a Gambit coming soon too. 

Spider Man Fare From home movie in July

I believe they are still making the Obi Wan spin off movie in 2020

upcoming

Right now Shazam! looks fun! I like Marvel more than DC myself, but maybe DC will surprise us with there Justice League movies.

On 4/24/2019 at 3:35 PM, Accord64 said:

I'm one of probably eleven people in the world who never watched it,

Don't have a tv, so I'm in that crowd! Never was interested, actually.

22 hours ago, Spaulding said:

When I was a kid, there was this new show that no one could ever outdo. Star Trek.

Oh, I remember that show!

e3c.thumb.jpg.7a0f6550b46282628398f1b2727310cb.jpg

And this is how you drive sci-fi nerds crazyxD

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

Don't forget that most countries have stopped issuing postage stamps, so another nerd hobby is done.

Wait. What? How does mail get through without postage stamps? :oops:

On 4/24/2019 at 8:35 PM, Accord64 said:

Game of Thrones will end. I'm one of probably eleven people in the world who never watched it, but apparently is was a big deal.

Make that 12 people. I've never watched it either.

20 minutes ago, EBraten said:

Make that 12 people. I've never watched it either.

You're 13. I number 12. ;):D

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Spaulding said:

Wait. What? How does mail get through without postage stamps? :oops:

the same way the hot water knows which pipes to go through! Keebler Elves!

• Haha 1

I started A Song of Ice and Fire (the book series) but gave it up when it started to look like the Wheel of Time, a fantasy book series that was finally brought to an end after the author died.

My daughter decided I needed to have it on video. I tried to watch it but it was way too graphic. I guess I can tolerate things in a book that I can't deal with on the screen.

The reboot cycle is shorter than ever before. Disney isn't done milking its acquisitions.

The big event on the horizon for me is the new Dune movie.

What are my nerd credentials? President of the A/V Club, member of the chess and photography clubs, tortoiseshell plastic glasses (broken every soccer season, but dad wouldn't buy new until December).

On 4/24/2019 at 4:28 PM, HK1 said:

I'm one of the eleven.  That makes two of us on the same site :D

I never watched Star Wars, Marvel, Spiderman, any of that stuff. So I'm in the eleven too!

1 hour ago, Sarah Daffy said:

I never watched Star Wars, Marvel, Spiderman

:oops::oops::oops: Oh, my! 

You've missed some landmark work, well, maybe not Spiderman so much.

Star Wars (now known as "Episode Four: A New Hope") changed my world and ignited my creativity when I first saw it as a kid in June of 1977. 

Marvel finally made superheros COOL. Okay, Chris Nolan already did that with his Batman movies (The Dark Knight was awesome), and Tim Burton should be given some credit, too, but Marvel perfected it.

Okay, so Game of Thrones aired their final episode yesterday and my Facebook newsfeed is filled with people going through GoT withdrawals. As I'm one of - are we up to 14? - people who have never watched an episode, what did I do to commemorate the GoT finale?

I (finally!) went to see Avengers End Game - the culmination of over a decade of great Marvel films. I thought it delivered pretty well, despite some plot holes and considering the huge cast.

Next up is the final Star Wars movie later this year. I've been a fan since 1977, but I think the last movie really messed things up. It'll be interesting to see if JJ Abrams can pull the story line out of the dumpster and deliver as well as Avengers End Game.  

Yeah, to those of you who haven’t watched GOT, never try, it’s awful. And I’m actually glad the Star Wars franchise will end after this, they’ve ruined it.

Posted (edited)

I guess I'm not a nerd, eh? I haven't watched Game Of Thrones (except for some scenes that were available online) or Star Wars (maybe I saw one of two movies when I was a kid, but I don't remember much from it and I was never a fan of the series). As for the Marvel Avengers universe, I've only seen a few of the first movies (the first Avengers and the Captain America one), and then I lost interest in them. I did watch some of the X-Men movies though. X-Men seems a bit more interesting than the Avengers. Don't worry. I'm sure that there will be plenty of new superhero movies in the future.

Edited by Lucian Hodoboc

On 4/25/2019 at 4:56 PM, Nicholas Reicher said:

Don't have a tv, so I'm in that crowd! Never was interested, actually.

Wait, you don't have a TV?  Wait a minute, you watch stuff on your computer then?

Oh, and how could I forget this? The long-running, nerd-vana TV sitcom The Big Bang Theory ended after 12 seasons.

I didn't watch this very much, but it's usually quite funny when I do.