Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Faithrev/

Where Are The Tithe-Scriptures In The New Testament?

Posted (edited)

Excerpts From: 
Common Questions-&-Answers On Giving-&-Receiving:
Encouragement for those Giving and/or struggling to Give.
[By Paul E. Momoh]

Where Are The Tithe-Scriptures In The New Testament?

When you read the O/T, don’t just read the ‘letter’, look out for the spirit, God’s intention or motive/purpose behind the ‘letter’. Trace and find the spirit of the old testament all over the new testament. The spirit, simply put, is love.

Text Scripture 9: 2 Cor 3:6 (KJV, GNT)
“Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life”. “It is he who made us capable of serving the new covenant, which consists not of a written law but of the Spirit. The written law brings death, but the Spirit gives life”.

The New Testament Is The Spirit Of The Old Testament. We Apply (Not Discard) The Spirit Of The Old To The New.

The Spirit of The Old/Law Means, The Intention Of The Law Which Is Fulfilled Through Faith & Love In The New Testament.

In natural/human law, we find that some crimes are not yet expressly covered by the existing law. How do Judges handle such cases? It is the norm that the Judge will then look out for: (i) the intention/spirit of the law; what the framers of the law intended but not expressly written down (ii) And/or look out for a precedence; where similar cases were handled prior and apply such outcomes to the case on hand.

Since Jesus already said, he did not come to destroy the old testament, then it makes spiritual sense that God does not have to repeat the ‘letters’/verses of tithing already contained in the old testament in the new testament. Even though they exist, and wherever those show up, it is always for a purpose: to bring out the spirit/intention of God behind the letter of tithing. For example:

Text Scripture 10: Matthew 23:23 (as earlier cited): The intention/spirit that Jesus brought out here was not the doing of tithing (the letter) per se: they were already tithing. Rather, it was the doing of it in faith-and-love (which is the spirit/intention of the letter/law which they were missing).

Text Scripture 11: Heb 7: 6 (NIV)
“This man, however, did not trace his descent from Levi, yet he collected a tenth from Abraham and blessed him who had the promises”.

The intention/spirit of tithing (the tenth) brought out here is that, Christ (the new priesthood) is not of the order of the law of Moses (Levitical priesthood). Rather, of the order of Melchizedek; (without father or mother), made like unto Christ. Thus, given the great and precious promises we have in Christ, our background and similitude are not after the Law (Moses) but after that of Abraham who had the Promise.

Thus, the ‘letter’ of tithing made tithes payable to the Levites. The ‘spirit’ of tithing makes tithes payable to Him that liveth who sits in the heavens, to whom Abraham’s tithe was paid. Hence, our tithes go to Christ for His Body’s work, otherwise called the work of the ministry (Eph 4:12-13) as the store-house. Not to the pastors/ministers; although love offering can be given or wages paid out to them from the Ministry income (just as is payable to the other ministry-staff; all of which form part of staff expenses).

Text Scripture 12: 1 Cor 16:1-2:

‘as I have given order...even so do ye’: 1 Cor 16 verse 1. An order is a command; the spirit of tithing.

Vs 2: “Upon the first day of the week, let every one of you lay by him in store as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come”. Here, the “collection for the Saints” (the Body of Believers: storehouse) is expressed within the context of all the five irrefutable characteristics/principles/spirit of tithing, which always begins with an order or commandment (expounded further hereafter).

Time to pause, for now. So much meat in here. Now let's chat. How are you going with this food for thought? 

Edited by Faithrev/
remove emoji that just popped in by itself

Guest Igor Evgen

Thank you, Brother. I agree.

It is written,

Think not that I am come to destroy the Law, or the Prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For Verily I say unto you, Till Heaven and Earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the Law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least Commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the Kingdom of Heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the Kingdom of Heaven.

(Matthew 5:17-19)

Get ready for the opposition. Why? Because Giving is a stumbling stone for most Christians.

GOD bless,

Igor

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.