Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Faithrev/

Alone With God In A Shop

Raised in a church-going family, I soon found out that I had been growing not only in some basic knowledge of God but also in a desire to serve God. Mum would always get her little twins, Peter & Paul (my brother and I), to Church every Sunday. The “two little birds sitting on the wall, one named Peter, one named Paul” was a song we heard often as people exchanged greetings with mum and her kids at church. A Godly habit of Church-going was formed in us. Little did we know that, little by little, the Lord was drawing our little hearts towards Him.

A Hunger For God: As years rolled by, the Lord was placing a hunger in me which, at that time, was becoming greater than the level of ‘spiritual feeding’ that I was accessing at the local parish. Hence, I found myself consuming the Gideon's New Testament Bible from cover to cover, and from time to time while on my own after school hours at about age 11-12. This became another Godly habit, and yet, I was not even Saved. My local Church did not teach Salvation nor made an altar call. To their credit, however, the Church taught that, there is a God out there who draws closer to those who would draw closer to Him. However, something dramatic was about to happen in the course of this Godly habit - my habit of reading the Gideon's Bible regularly was about to mean an encounter with the Living Christ.

The Encounter: In November of 1975, I was alone in my Mother's shop and the last thing I remembered was the fact that I was reading through the Gideon's Bible. Somewhere and at some point of this reading, I suddenly became aware of my sins, and how that I was a Sinner. I became conscious of the truth that my sins made Christ to suffer and to die for me. This came through as a revelation from the verses I was reading at this point in time. This revelation became totally nerve-wrecking and filled me with great anguish for my sins. I had never before this day understood it that way. Indeed, the awareness of this truth became so strong on me that the next thing I remembered doing was falling flat on the floor, on my face, crying and pleading with God to forgive all my sins.

I was there praying out my heart on the floor of that little shop (for how long...I had no idea) until I felt that heavy weight was lifted off me. I found myself on my feet again, but this time rejoicing and praising God for removing away my sins. I knew that weight was gone! There, at that shop situated in the front of our family's House at No. 44/20, Yusufu Street, a new me rose from the dead. I arose to my feet, singing, rejoicing, thanking and praising God.

Any time I share this story, I can't help but sing my own version of that old song: "At the shop (at the shop), where I first saw the Light, And the burden of my soul rolled away; It was there by faith, I received my sight, And now I am happy all the day”!

Join in the conversation. What's in this that resonates with you? How about sharing your own story to God's glory? Your story may bring clarity to someone's experience. It may stir up joy in another or even lead to an encounter of Christ by the same Spirit. 

Edited by faithrev
To invite others to share their own experience too.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Only the Holy Ghost has such power to convict. One can only wonder in astonishment at the power and glory of the Living God!

My first memory was not visual, but emotional.  It was the overwhelming memory of fear, everyday, twenty-four hours a day-fear.  The physical torture was brutal, but so was the emotional and mental abuse.  (The sexual would come later).  Add that to the fact that I was the oldest and also felt a keen responsibility to try to protect my younger siblings, but far too often failed.

Added to the fear was the fact there was no one I could turn to.  My grandparents were threatened that if they ever interfered or told anyone we would be whisk away from them never to see them again.  At the same time a part of me thought everyone went through what we did.  Thinking back, how could people not have seen the bruises.  So there really was no one to help.

I don't remember when I did not feel His presence in my life.  He was not human and it was (not) my emotions, but as each of my very young years passed I grew a little more aware of him.  As far as I knew he had always been with me.  I honestly feel he was with me before I ever entered my mother's womb.  I believe he knew I needed to feel him, to know him either because I was chosen from the beginning or because of what I would endure throughout my childhood and well into my adulthood.  I thought everyone experienced him and it still surprises me how most people do not claim to have been born with some sort of knowledge of him.

By the time I was six I was living in my grandparents' house at the edge of a very small country town.  Each weekday morning  I walked the dirt road to school alone.  The wild grasses were much  higher than my head and the danger of rattlers and water moccasins crossing my path at any time was real and had been experienced on trips to the store.  Behind me was almost always a night of beatings under the table because I couldn't learn my spelling words or for some other reason.  In front of me were threats with the teacher's yard stick because I couldn't concentrate on my lessons.  But walking that quarter mile or so of red earth was freedom for me.  I remember looking above the yellow grasses at the ginormous azure blue sky and not just feeling, but knowing, his presence.  He was bigger than everything, including the sky.  He was real and overpowering and he felt--physical.  I did not know his name, but something in my soul knew who he was.  He took my breath away--and he loved me and cherished me and I loved him and cherished him, too.

There have been other moments where I broke down as an adult when i learned, again his love for me when I thought I was unlovable.  But nothing will tell me who he is and what we mean to each other more  than those mornings on the way to school.

Such a power story and testimony of God's presence in your life! It's awesome that you have those fond memories of your walks to school. He's still using those memories in your life as confirmation of His continual presence, and that He'll never leave you or forsake you. Thanks for sharing your story, Becky!

You are welcome.  He is the love of my life and he continually shows me that he loves me through his presence and blessings everyday-both small and great.  I honestly don't think I would have had such a deep relationship with him if my life had been more like 'Leave it to Beaver' and full of abundant, human love.  I believe from reading the Bible and my time with him, the reason God designed us was because there was a void in him that he wanted to fill.  He and Yeshua wanted a family--so much so that they created the perfect planet in just the right place in this universe for our needs.  Then Yeshua sacrificed everything for us.  How much more love can one show to another to prove how valuable and needed we are to them?

Hi Becky, yes, the Lord did; sacrificed all for us all. I wish I got here quicker than now to enjoy the read and contribute ...was away from my regular desk on a research study, weeks out to finish. 

Thanks Becky for sharing, amazing story; and to David too for responding with grace!

You are welcome Faithrev/. 

Today is Rosh Hashana the Jewish New Year.  I wish for you and yours Shanah Tovah (a good year). May His protection and presence cover you now and forever.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.