Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Nicholas Reicher

Organization for writers

My producer required me to sign up for Asana two years ago, so we could plot out our project.

Recently, I was watching Jason Mayfield's YouTube series on setting up a video ministry, and he talked about Trello. I went back to Asana and found I could do the same thing with Asana.

There's two different project types in Asana - three column or list. The Three Column method is "plan", "in progress", "completed". You simply create cards for every step (such as editing phases for your novel - I have about 23 of them), and once you move to that phase, you move it to the "in progress" column. When it's done, you drag it to the "completed" column.

The video shows how it's done in both Trello and Asana.

However, there's another way to plan out, and that's the list. You can set sub-tasks of your major task. The drawback, you can't mark it in progress, but you can show it's completed.

If you set due dates, it will send you daily emails reminding you.

There's a lot of ways to configure this. I've noticed the LEAST organized and systematic people on the earth are writers. So, here's a way to plot out your book writing process, and get a systematic editing process. By setting deadlines, procrastination is wiped out.

Try it! What do you think?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

Oh, and you can add more columns to Asana.

You tell me this right after I get trello. 😄

• Haha 1

On 4/18/2019 at 1:58 AM, Nicholas Reicher said:

I've noticed the LEAST organized and systematic people on the earth are writers.

Lol!!! Quite true for me :D 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2019 at 7:58 PM, Nicholas Reicher said:

I've noticed the LEAST organized and systematic people on the earth are writers.

Okay, so that is probably true about me.🙄 I'm sure I can't even find half the notes I have written down over time. Once I got this brilliant idea for my novel, and I grabbed the nearest thing to write it down on. Only, it was dark in the room. Big uh-oh.😲 The next day, I was getting ready to write it down in my computer, only to discover I had written my brilliant idea over some previous notes from a while back. It was so hard to decipher what I'd written the previous night that I ended up missing half of the great idea! *Sigh.* Oh, well. So I guess everyone makes mistakes. 😉😄

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sarah Daffy said:

Okay, so that is probably true about me.🙄 I'm sure I can't even find half the notes I have written down over time. Once I got this brilliant idea for my novel, and I grabbed the nearest thing to write it down on. Only, it was dark in the room. Big uh-oh.😲 The next day, I was getting ready to write it down in my computer, only to discover I had written my brilliant idea over some previous notes from a while back. It was so hard to decipher what I'd written the previous night that I ended up missing half of the great idea! *Sigh.* Oh, well. So I guess everyone makes mistakes. 😉😄

You're blameless in this. With the cancellation of the Yellow Pages in most localities, we no longer have readily available objects to take notes in when in dark rooms.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sarah Daffy said:

I had written my brilliant idea over some previous notes from a while back. It was so hard to decipher what I'd written the previous night that I ended up missing half of the great idea!

Ah! Me too!😫

Or at 3 a.m.  think up something that sounds really brilliant at the time, then to find the next morning it's lost half its significance. "Huh? What was that all about?"  

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sophie said:

Or at 3 a.m.  think up something that sounds really brilliant at the time, then to find the next morning it's lost half its significance. "Huh? What was that all about?" 

Tell me about it.

Edited by Sarah Daffy

Believe me, I have more than half a dozen random notes in my computer and even more in papers, books, planners, that I'm not even sure what they are for. I always carry a notebook with me wherever I go for those little instances when a glorious, brilliant idea or book title comes to you and you have nothing whatsoever to write it down on. I have more than a full paragraph of character names, and even more scattered all over the place. Talk about confusing when you're trying to name a character. 🙄 And I have more than 150 book titles that over half of them don't even have story lines, just sudden inspiration whenever I least expect it.

Just goes to prove the statement that you said earlier, Nicholas. Writers ARE some of the most least-organized and systemic people on the planet. And I, for one, know it.

• Like 2

Compile all of your notes into Evernote... projects can be planned in Trello or Asana. Between this, the community here and writing all your writers' platform tweets and posts, you now will be so organized that you'll have zero time to write fiction!

• Like 2

On 4/17/2019 at 7:58 PM, Nicholas Reicher said:

My producer required me to sign up for Asana two years ago, so we could plot out our project.

Wait—you have a producer???? 🤨😲 Are you like a director or an agent or an actor or something??? o_Oo_O¬¬:rolleyes:😮

Just now, Nicholas Reicher said:

Screenwriters write. Producers take it from there.

Oh.

Then I have only one thing to say.

Waaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!

How many screenplays have you written? Have they ever been used for films?

I've written like a four and a half page script. Not sure if it counts.  o_O

On 4/30/2019 at 5:45 PM, Nicholas Reicher said:

My first script got all the way up to the funding stage, then the producer bottomed out.

I've written six or seven complete scripts.

That is too bad. ☹️ Have you ever been on a movie set?

Just now, Nicholas Reicher said:

nope. I've been filmed doing martial arts for a demo reel. That's the closest I've been.

That's cool!

The only way to do a demo reel is to be an established martial artist. There's no real way to fake it without extensive 18 hour training days for two months. You'd be so sore you'd be unable to perform the stuff on video.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

The only way to do a demo reel is to be an established martial artist. There's no real way to fake it without extensive 18 hour training days for two months. You'd be so sore you'd be unable to perform the stuff on video.

Wow!

😉