Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Alley

Telling a Story Without Writing

Posted (edited)

Crazy ideas to practice your storytelling without writing anything. In other words, let's tell a story for the pure enjoyment! 

My favorite way, and something I've done since I was little, is to put on a national geographic show, turn off the volume and monologue the story. Maybe you try it as the narrator. I personally like to talk for the animals. You can try this with other things too. Maybe an AFV clip or an episode of failarmy on YouTube. Whatever you pick the point is to have fun. It works wonders with bored kids and grandkids! 😏

Edited by Alley
  • Like 1

Hilarious idea!

When my boys were little, while I was brushing their teeth every night, I used to narrate what was going on in the germ kingdom. The germs were preparing for a mega feast and hole-drilling party, only to be met with disaster and devastation as the toothbrush, toothpaste and floss crashed the festivities and ruined everything.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EBraten said:

only to be met with disaster and devastation as the toothbrush, toothpaste and floss crashed the festivities and ruined everything

Man, why didn't I think of that one! 😄 I love that idea! 

• Like 1

Here this is the one my kids forced me to do this morning. Forced at fuzzy bunny slipper point! (At least that's my story! 😁)

• Haha 1

LOL These are too fun! I'm the quiet one. As I've said before, I'm basically a no-word person. :rolleyes: Hubs is the storyteller. When the kids were little, especially the boys, he would make up stories at bedtime about Oogog and his adventures. They loved it. My storytelling only knows how to come out of my fingertips! :D

• Like 1

Ha! Interesting idea, Alley.

My sisters and I invented a game called "What If" which was basically a fill-in-the-blank story. I would narrate all the characters except my little sister's, and she was the "protagonist", I suppose, of the story. It started off with "What if you were stranded on an island and had nothing to eat but ___?" Then you had to find a way to get off the island in order to avoid that particular food. Eventually, we moved to land and it got more sophisticated. She would have to find her way out of an unfavorable situation while avoiding many twists and turns. We created a world, friends, and even made a "What If" book (obviously it was a big deal😏) But the ones she liked best were about treasure hunts and would have to solve the clues while avoiding opposite forces and people working against her. We both love storytelling and never really played any other games beside that one.😊 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Love it! I remember, about ten, buying some Goosebumps cards. They were like story cubes but with graveyards, vampires and other 'scary' stuff. I loved making up 'scary' stories with them! And of course, I always had to one-up my friends by having the most cards to connect into a story! 😁

1 minute ago, Sophie said:

Huh. You had some pretty creative ideas! 😄

I would rather be telling stories than watching tv any day of the week! It doesn't matter if it is silly stuff like this or written out into a full book.  It is what I love doing, my escape, and my relaxation! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Alley said:

I would rather be telling stories than watching tv any day of the week! It doesn't matter if it is silly stuff like this or written out into a full book.  It is what I love doing, my escape, and my relaxation! 

Lol! Same.😊

22 minutes ago, Sophie said:

Lol! Same.😊

Great minds think alike! 😁

• Like 1

I would love to know what the background of that video was, what was going on in the lion's mind, why he decided to sneak up on her. Why did he bite her instead of just putting a paw on her? Whatever, he won't do that again.

A story from a misspent youth:

Under the influence of substances legal and illegal, we did parodies of wildlife shows.

A sure winner was my tagline from Marlin Perkins, host of "Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom."

"I went back to the Land Rover while Jim wrestled the grizzly bear to the ground.

"You can secure your family's future by heeding this message from our sponsor."