Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Johne

Tricks For Doing Author Readings

If you ever get a chance to do a reading, bookmark this article. I've done a couple of readings. The comic flash fiction went over very well. The 5k novella literally drove people out of the room. Know your audience and be honest about your limitations.

https://lithub.com/viet-thanh-nguyen-how-not-to-bore-your-audience-at-a-reading/

Last, bring energy to the room. Your energy level will be the room’s energy level, which comedians understand. I psych myself up, go out there and greet the audience confidently, and talk as if I am speaking to the back row as much as the front row. Project your energy all over that room, no matter what the size of it is and the size of the audience. It’s harder to do when the room is barren or half-full, but the show must go on. I find the passion that drove me to write my books, to care about my subjects, and I remind myself that I have to exhibit that passion to the room no matter how many or how few people are present.

• Like 1

I used to train in NLP and there was one technique I would use before speaking to a room. Go in early and stand at the front of the room - then take a few deep breathes and imagine your awareness extending to every corner of the room - floor to ceiling. If you want, tell yourself: "I own this room."

I havealways found it very powerful and it helps me to include the whole room when I am speaking like what Johne said.

• Like 1

Dress up, whatever that means to you. A vintage outfit, a motorcycle jacket, a cowboy hat. T.C. Boyle looks like a punk rock statesman.

This is what I miss in audiobook narration.  I'll have to find some live audiences for my costumes.  

Dressing up as characters in your book is a good selling point.  That gives your fans a head start for Cosplay. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Nicola said:

Dressing up as characters in your book is a good selling point. 

Yikes!  You've got more nerve than I do, Nicola!

6 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

You've got more nerve than I do, Nicola!

You've already "exposed" yourself when you write your book. So find a detective outfit or a robot costume and go for it!

24 minutes ago, EClayRowe said:

they ask him to dress up as a robot....

Hey! I didn't suggest the costumes. But once suggested, ...