Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Johne

Three of the Most Effective Ways To Fail As A Writer

The 3 Don’ts
https://writingcooperative.com/3-of-the-most-effective-ways-to-fail-as-a-writer-11eb7ea6a048

• Be insecure about the quality of your writing
  • Don’t absorb high-quality content
  • Don’t make writing a high-priority

Everybody wants to tell you about their success story. You can scour the Internet and find countless strategies on how to become a successful Writer. There are countless people out there that will do everything in their power to convince you that they know what’s best for you. They will tell you that if you do these certain things then you too will have a successful writing career.

Yet, rarely will you hear people tell you what not to do. I’m no expert by any means but I can honestly say that I have learned several invaluable lessons during my writing journey. Some of the most important things I have learned are not necessarily what to do but what not to do.

Everyone’s journey will look different. We all go through our ups and downs. We all will learn different things along the way.

But I can say with absolute confidence you will have a much easier time being successful at writing if you avoid the 3 things I have listed below.

Travel safely my friends and be wary of these 3 things.

#1 — Be Insecure About The Quality Of Your Writing

If you don’t believe in your work, then who will? I have been in Sales for over 13 years and one of the most important things I have learned is that if you don’t have confidence in yourself, others won’t believe in you either.

Confidence is contagious.

Confidence can help you build yourself back up when others try to tear you down.

And believe me, there will always be people out there that will go out of their way to belittle you and tear down your writing.

I don’t know why, but some people love to criticize others who follow their dreams and yet these same people are too scared to go after what they want of life. It’s easy for people to point fingers at someone from the safety of their computer keyboard.

You must have confidence in your abilities so that you can weather the constant ups and downs that writing will bring into your life. There will be good days and there will be miserable days, there will be a lot of average days in between as well.

A confident person takes constructive criticism and comes back stronger than ever before. This person’s writing will continue to evolve and improve.

Someone who lacks confidence will face constructive criticism and get broken. This person will be like so many other people who have quit on their writing journey. These people not only stopped traveling on their writing journey, but they disappeared into the abyss, never to be seen or heard from again.

It’s a shame.

Right this very second, we all could be enjoying their stories and yet here we are with nothing to read that was written by them.

We all lose in this situation.

#2 — Don’t Absorb High-Quality Content

How can you expect to write high-quality material if you aren’t putting high-quality material into your brain? If you aren’t reading, listening, and experiencing top-notch things, then sooner or later, you will run out of ideas to write about.

I don’t care how creative or imaginative you are.

A human being’s brain is like a gas tank for a vehicle, you have to give it fuel or else it won’t be able to go anywhere.

Knowledge is that fuel.

Without any sort of knowledge going into your brain, I can guarantee you that your writing will become stale.

At least, that was the case for me.

I started becoming a voracious reader around the time I was 19 years old. During that time in my life when I was devouring book after book, it was amazing how wild my imagination became. I started learning about all sorts of topics that interested me because I was reading about them.

I was feeding my brain.

After about a year or two though, I started to read less and less. I don’t what happened exactly but I lost my love for reading.

It wasn’t until about 2 years ago that I started to become a voracious reader again.

That 10-year gap of not reading much definitely took its toll on me mentally.

I can tell you first hand that all those years I spent not reading and absorbing high-quality information affected my creativity in an extremely negative way.

Now that I have been reading much more frequently, my writing has improved dramatically and my ideas are flowing again. I have also started listening to several different podcasts this past year and all of the things I have been learning from these podcasts have been fusing into my articles as well.

Knowledge is power, my friends.

Feed your brain high-quality information.

#3 — Don’t Make Writing A High-Priority

Everybody is busy these days. We have families, friends, jobs, hobbies, errands to run, etc.

Where does writing fit in with all of those things? One of the easiest ways to fail as a Writer is to not make writing a high-priority in your life. If you allow yourself to constantly and consistently be “too busy” to focus on your writing, then it will be a tough uphill battle for you.

Developing your writing skills and evolving as a Writer is extremely difficult. It’s challenging and it requires you to dedicate time to honing your craft.

Personally, I devote 1 1/2–2 hours each day to work on my writing. This time includes brainstorming ideas, writing a rough draft, researching/proofreading, and writing my final draft. Dedicating this amount of time each day to my writing ensures that I am always strengthening my creative/writing muscle.

Writing becomes a little easier each day if you are actually writing something each day.

I know not everything I write will be a beautiful masterpiece, but I am committed to the act of writing. I am focused on my goals and I want to inspire as many people as I can with my written words.

I don’t allow myself to be “too busy” to write. If I need a break for a day or two, then I take it.

But then I am right back to reading, self-reflecting, and writing.

Don’t allow yourself to be “too busy” to write. Stop making excuses and fully commit to your writing career. It doesn’t matter what stage you are at in your writing career, commitment is crucial no matter the stage.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Alley said:

Wow, you have a depressing title head!

Made you look! ;)

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Johne said:

#1 — Be Insecure About The Quality Of Your Writing

If you don’t believe in your work, then who will? I have been in Sales for over 13 years and one of the most important things I have learned is that if you don’t have confidence in yourself, others won’t believe in you either.

Confidence is contagious.

And over-confidence can lead to another reason for failure. I'm surprised the article didn't go there. With the explosion of self-published work over the past decade, self-deluded writers have become a big problem. They're the ones who post their WIP for critique, and quickly tear apart anyone offering constructive criticism - because they were really fishing for accolades. They leave scathing comments after receiving one, or two-star reviews. They routinely tear apart other authors in their genre, often leaving petty one-star reviews for their books (just because they had the nerve to write a better story). They also come to writer forums to lament about how readers these days are stupid for not liking their books.      

Edited by Accord64
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Accord64 said:

self-deluded writers have become a big problem. They're the ones who post their WIP for critique, and quickly tear apart anyone offering constructive criticism - because they were really fishing for accolades

Guilty!

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

Guilty!

You are hereby sentenced to Twilight, and all the fan-fiction therein.

71OXf9DFr-L._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.158090251d45a5a58dd1dfabe6a76a05.jpg

15 minutes ago, Accord64 said:

You are hereby sentenced to Twilight, and all the fan-fiction therein

😱 That's an especially cruel judgment! I demand a retrial! 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Accord64 said:

You are hereby sentenced to Twilight, and all the fan-fiction therein.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

luke sjywalker.jpg

Edited by Nicholas Reicher
Removed gavel
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2113122528_giphy(3).gif.3e8ce659f92b27ad8894885f328d776c.gif

• Haha 1