Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Zee

Favorite scenes...

Does anybody have a favorite scene in literature (and by literature I mean stuff you read) a scene that inspires you when you write, or one you just love?

Some of mine are the scene in The Brothers Karamazov where Alexei kisses his brother after he shares the poem about the Grand Inquisitor...

The human children being re-united with their mouse friend Reepicheep at the end of C.S. Lewis's The Last Battle...

The amateur detective Lord Peter Wimsey being comforted by his wife at the end of Busman's Honeymoon.

The scene at the top of the stairs with Prince Mishkin, in the Idiot.  That was inspiring.  Josh MacDowell's redemptive story, that, too, was more than inspiring.  It was sublime.

Scarlet O'Hara clutch in a handful of Georgia clay at the end of Gone with the Wind.

Sam, Merry, and Pippin watching the last ship sail west...

Huck Finn's soliliquy before he "lights out for the territories..."

Nick's soliliquy at the end of The Great Gatsby. 

Weird how many of these are one character alone.

One of them for me is the final scene Daniel Mason's "The Piano Tuner". It inspires me to write in such a way that my readers will finish saying "Yup, that was how it had to end". Even if it was a sad ending.

So on that note, what about scenes you have written yourselves? Any time you write something and think, "Nailed it. That's exactly what I wanted to say." Go ahead and share!

Once. And the scene didn't make the final draft, which hasn't seen the light of day (and I'll see to it that never does).

In this scene, a young woman gets told that her husband was killed in battle. I had wipe my eyes to see clearly to write that one. I think it was the way her grief was delayed by the initial shock, which was broken when she tried to tell their five year old son that his Papa wasn't ever coming home again.

Well, even if nobody else ever reads it, it's still satisfying to create something you're really happy with.

My favorites are the ending scenes of both “A Voice in the Wind” and “Echo of Darnkess” in the”Mark of the Lion” series. Especially the ending of the second book when Marcus lifts Rapha’s veil and realizes who she is.

I also love the scene in “The Blue Castle”  when Valancy realizes what’s behind Barney’s anger after she leaves him. :)

I have a scene in Leoshine where her new master steps over her cultural norms, in public.  She is disgusted and terrified of the consequences.

Later she asks a slave who grew up with the master why he does this.  

"He plays with you," replies the older slave.  "He takes you where you fear to go and plays with you there, proving that he will not hurt you, nor allow anyone else to hurt you."  

This explained a facet of God to me.  

Towards the end of the Voyage of the Dawn Treader when they come upon still waters in the middle of the ocean with a lamb standing out there. Lucy looks closely and asks, "Aslan?" and Aslan says "I am."

It gave me goosebumps and made me tear up. Beautiful, poignant, spiritual.

I am sure there are others, but that was the one that came to my mind.