Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
suspensewriter

How Do You Write?

1 hour ago, Alley said:

? Sorry! ?

For having some fun? No apology needed. :)

But don't try that with your new ape overlords. They'll see it as a sign of weakness. But I hear they respond better to bananas.  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Accord64 said:

But I hear they respond better to bananas.  

Really need to buy that banana farm ?

• Like 1

Aww, you guys are sweet! Or should I say manly and kind? ? 

1 minute ago, suspensewriter said:

You know, there has to be something to that banana farms- like placating the new ape overlords.

Exactly! And if we win the war, well who doesn't like bananas? It's like Jello. You always have room for a little more. 

• Like 2

Wow, this thread has moved on a lot since I last looked at it!

I saw that the Dragon Anywhere app has a seven-day free trial, so I downloaded it to my phone and have done a short dictation. It's actually not terrible at capturing my words, although it mangled some to such an extent that I would need to edit immediately in order to be sure that I don't forget what I meant to say.

When everyone in my house settles down this evening, I'll try to dictate an actual chapter from my WIP and see how it goes.

The price is quite steep! But if it performs as well as everyone says, it might be a worthwhile investment.

• Like 2

I write with both Scrivener and Word. Still with Word for critique group purposes, and so I have to update both docs often. Scrivener is really helpful to me as a story bible and rearranging scenes in edits. I have tried long-hand writing, but I tear out so many notebook pages in trying to get a scene right that I stick to Scrivener and Word. 

• Like 1

I'm struggling with Scrivener, but I'm taking a tutorial that I hope will get me through it.  I just found out that Dragon 15 works with Scrivener, when Scrivener crashed.  But I think I've cleared that up with System Mechanic, which said I had 31.000 errors.  I fixed them all (I pushed the Repair button)- so wish me luck!

• Like 2

@suspensewriter, I've just given Dragon Anywhere a test drive. It was my first time ever writing with dictation. When typing, I usually write about 900 words in 40 minutes. But with Dragon, I got 1,200 words down in 20 minutes. However, I then had to use about 15 minutes to clean up the words Dragon got wrong. So, I used about the same amount of time in total, but came out 300 words ahead.

I'm really impressed because I expect that I'll get faster with practice.

Edited by EBraten
  • Like 2

I have a question about Scrivener:

does it produce a text that can be downloaded to a publisher or does it have to be converted to Word?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bob Leone said:

I have a question about Scrivener:

does it produce a text that can be downloaded to a publisher or does it have to be converted to Word?

I think @Nicholas Reicher actually covered that in a whole thread on the topic. ? I can look and see if I can find the thread. Give me a couple of hours, and I'll get back to you. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bob Leone said:

Okie dokie ?

I'm sorry I could not find it. I asked him if he could stop by this thread so hopeful the next time he's on, he can hop over. Sorry, I'm not more help on this one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Leone said:

Johne also knows Scrivener.  I know that it can export to all kinds of programs.  One moment, I'll take a screne shot...

• Like 3

I skipped to the end, but my answer is (to the tune of one foot in front of the other)  one word in front of the other and soon I'm typing page after page.

Edited by zx1ninja
Correction
  • Like 3