Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

37 minutes ago, Alley said:

They crept through the woods, listening for, Don't hit your brother! I don't care why I said don't. The men hunting them. They prayed they, No, you may not spray paint the dog orange. 

I'd hate to be the editor trying to untangle that. xD

2 hours ago, EBraten said:

I think my hesitation with trying dictation is I'm not sure whether I can actually compose a story like that.

That would be my concern. My process demands a keyboard.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Accord64 said:
1 hour ago, Alley said:

They crept through the woods, listening for, Don't hit your brother! I don't care why I said don't. The men hunting them. They prayed they, No, you may not spray paint the dog orange. 

I'd hate to be the editor trying to untangle that

? I do it sometimes when I'm typing and talking. My favorite was when I was giving @suspensewriter a hard time.

I meant to say:

Hello, my name is Alley, and I am a bad speller. 

What I wrote was: 

Hello, my name is Alley, and I go to time out! 

?

Edited by Alley

3 hours ago, Alley said:

I could only use it after small children went to bed.

Kids are wonderful, lol, but I guess their not a help when you need a quiet time to write.

14 minutes ago, Bob Leone said:

Kids are wonderful, lol, but I guess their not a help when you need a quiet time to write.

It can be challenging, but doable. I write while watching kids play outside or after they go to bed. Not much time otherwise, but that's ok. I love them, and they are only little once. ?

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Accord64 said:

I have an HDMI connection to a BG (Beta/Gamma) Wave Reader. I simply place a wire lead over each temple and relax into a meditative state. The congestive interpretation software then extracts the story in my mind, and converts it into a MS Word file. The entire process takes less than an hour! I end up with a 85,000 word manuscript that's perfectly edited and ready for publication.

The last I heard, scientists were 90% reliable in recognizing thoughts when confronted with a limited vocabulary. They train a person to read a document aloud repeatedly and perform a scan of their brain. They see which parts of the brain light up for each syllable. Then they have the person read the document to themselves silently. Most people (except the deaf) subvocalize, so as we read, the same auditory centers of our brain light up that light up when we hear sounds (such as our own voices). The matching of brain activity to words is not perfect yet, but it will improve over time. Mind-reading tech is only a few years away...

BTW - I used to work for Nuance, maker of Dragon Naturally Speaking. The software is good, but when do I have time to sit in a room where no one else is present? Typing is quiet. (Tried playing Beethoven's 9th last night and got chewed out by my daughter two rooms away.)

Paul

Edited by paulchernoch
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Alley said:

I love them, and they are only little once.

That's right, enjoy them while they are small. I've had five. They are fun up until 13 then they aren't fun again until around 19 or 20,. Especially when they get married and have kids. Now, Grandkids are the most fun! Spoil them, rile them up, (lol, buy them a drum set), them give them back to their parents.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 4/2/2019 at 7:29 PM, suspensewriter said:

Do you write on computers, or do you write your stuff out by hand?

I usually write on my NEO, a portable word processor. I sometimes write out in longhand. I consider the NEO writing as my first draft. When I wrote short plays, I wrote directly into a Word document. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Accord64 said:

I think my hesitation with trying dictation is I'm not sure whether I can actually compose a story like that.

Or look at the gibberish that's coming out on the screen and run with it! "Paint the dog orange! Hurry!" She yelled.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, paulchernoch said:

Mind-reading tech is only a few years away...

Waiting with bated breath!

• Like 1

I've used scrivener in the past--it's great for keeping all your information in one place. But more recently, I've been using Word, with many, MANY hard to decipher notes on random pieces of paper I found closest to me when I had my "brilliant" thoughts. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

Sounds like you've got quite a bit of experience with writing, quietspirit.

Yes, I guess you could say that. Also, I have also done newsletters. One for my former church and two, in alternating months for a faith-based non-profit organization I worked in.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2019 at 8:00 AM, Alley said:

Actually, if the dog is a female, pink would be better. If male, then blue. ... At least they asked!!!!

Back to the topic at hand --

I have a friend who dictates with Dragon sometimes and writes it out by hand other times. She only puts in into the computer when she thinks it's ready. 

I wrote out by hand back before computers, but I can't do that now. When a story idea happens without my computer near, I do manage by hand, but it usually looks different when I put it into Word.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2019 at 7:51 PM, lynnmosher said:

Nope, don't use it. I'm not a word person. ;) A speaking person. Rather non-verbal. The words leak out of my brain and down into my fingers. Usually with a pen and paper first in snippets of thought and then I transfer to my computer and write it out. :D

This is me as well, except that I type out even my notes for my own convenience. I used to use a typewriter before moving on to a laptop, though. But either way, I need my fingers. Gosh, I'd be in complete devastation if my fingers suddenly fell off. :|

I use Google Notes on my phone if an idea hits while I'm out and about. Pen and paper for research, outlines, character development, etc. Then into Word. I've used Word to create a couple of newsletters in the past and am currently working on creating a newsletter for the Valais Blacknose Sheep Society. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/2/2019 at 8:53 PM, Alley said:

...Grammarly...randomly throws you in the middle of your story for no reason...

The algorithm is trying to correct something. In fiction, it tries to make everything conform to its standards, which is tough when you're trying to work out a unique voice for different characters.

Edited by EClayRowe
Correcting auto-correct!

35 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

Yeah, Grammerly can be a pain sometimes.

Sometimes, Grammarly and I have issues about certain word choices. I find I can correct things in my Word document when I post it to my blog certain other errors get pointed out.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Part of my WIP set in the far future is mindwriting. Short version? Bad idea, worse than hitting the "send" button while drunk.

It's the filter that makes writing great. 

(Drafting on paper, smoothly flowing ballpoint. No strikeouts or corrections because there might be ore in the tailings. NOBODY ELSE sees those! Alternate renderings in margins.)

Edited by EClayRowe
  • Like 1