Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
suspensewriter

How Do You Write?

Recently, I've been using Dragon NaturallySpeaking 15 to write my manuscripts. How about you? Do you write on computers, or do you write your stuff out by hand? The reason I ask, is I've been having a blast using Dragon NaturallySpeaking 15. I wondered if anyone else is using it.

Edited by suspensewriter
  • Like 1

Nope, don't use it. I'm not a word person. ;) A speaking person. Rather non-verbal. The words leak out of my brain and down into my fingers. Usually with a pen and paper first in snippets of thought and then I transfer to my computer and write it out. :D

I have an HDMI connection to a BG (Beta/Gamma) Wave Reader. I simply place a wire lead over each temple and relax into a meditative state. The congestive interpretation software then extracts the story in my mind, and converts it into a MS Word file. The entire process takes less than an hour! I end up with a 85,000 word manuscript that's perfectly edited and ready for publication.

Then I wake up from my dream, look at my laptop, and yell:

17425950_639637709553374_3591698372909464990_n.jpg.ab543dd1d0ac3bbd395fffcc7482f83b.jpg   

**Sigh**

I simply peck away at a keyboard and hope it forms coherent sentences. :|  

Edited by Accord64
  • Like 1
  • Haha 9

I tried Dragon once and it could not under stand my hillybilly. ? Every time I said there, it wrote bear. ? Funny now, but not then. I type it out on my computer. I like it over writing by hand because I can type at the rate of my slow speaking, so it flows easier, and if I forgot a word it is sooo much easier to fix! 

• Like 1

I take notes when they come to me on my iPhone. Then use msWord to type out my thoughts and manuscript. 

• Like 1

My phone has Google doc on it so I can type from my phone to add to my work if I want. It auto syncs with my Google doc on my computer. Just NEVER use the Grammarly keyboard on your phone for a Google doc. It randomly throws you in the middle of your story for no reason. Frustrating!!! 

• Like 2

I know a lot of writers who swear by Dragon Naturally Speaking, saying it put rocket fuel into their productivity, but I haven't tried dictation yet. I still type the old-fashioned way, on Libre Office and Word, then transfer the completed scenes/chapters onto Scrivener.

I do my outlining and plot mess unsnarling with pen and paper, though.

• Like 1

I converted to Scrivener after I got the 50% discount for doing NaNoWriMo, and am really enjoying that. But like EBraten, I use pen and paper for outlining and undoing plot snarls. Fortunately, I don't have to try read my handwriting afterwards. 

• Like 1

@suspensewriterI think my hesitation with trying dictation is I'm not sure whether I can actually compose a story like that. I suspect it would be quite a learning curve! I'd have to try dictating a scene into my phone recorder just to see whether or not I can do it before investing in the software.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

Alley, you know Dragon Naturally Speaking might help with your dyslexia.

I have heard speech to text helps a lot of us dyslexics. 

I forgot about plotting! I use workflowy. It's a bullet point system. It works great for me! 

• Like 1

You don't happen to like Dragon do you? 

I could only use it after small children went to bed. Otherwise, it would look something like: 

They crept through the woods, listening for, Don't hit your brother! I don't care why I said don't. The men hunting them. They prayed they, No, you may not spray paint the dog orange. 

?

• Like 1
  • Haha 7