Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
KR LaLonde

I keep doing this....

I've gone and repeated an error I've made in the past. I'm trying to correct this faux pas, but it's very hard at times.

I joined the website at a friend's invitation and I fully intended to stay and make progress. However, I've gone and joined several groups or sites with the same common goals with this same intention. I keep thinking I'll become a successful writer - and even a published author - in a few months' time. I've progressed a little bit, but not enough to satisfy me or actually do what I'm hoping to do the most.

Becoming a published author has become so hard to do. I need one-on-one assistance if I'm going to succeed at all. That's just how my brain works now.

I seem to do better when I'm getting help from my mentor - a published author who I became friends with on Facebook a while ago. I truly wish I could say that being here was actually helping, but I get overwhelmed by what I need/must do just to post something short--I've had lots of trouble keeping things short, too; not to mention several comments get left below someone's story before I get the chance to leave some type of review. You're all so much faster than I am!

I'm posting this to let you all know I might leave unless someone - or someones - can convince me otherwise. *shrugs*

Kendra, just a thought. You can still leave comments in the critique forum even though others have made the same or similar comments. We can all tell you we'd love to have you stay but the ultimate decision is up to you. Only you can decide what you can handle. :)

• Like 1

That's true, I admit. About my choosing to stay or not, I mean.

I just don't know how much help I can really be if others are mentioning the exact things I do. That, or my peculiar behavior to do with wording and the like. I'm a nit-picker for the most part.

I also can't remember if I've reviewed enough to post anything more. *shrugs* Not that I have much to post.

Kendra, I can't tell you what God is calling you too or how much you can handle at a time. All I can say is that any comments you leave will be appreciated no matter if it is different or just letting us know you agree with someone else comments. For me, this is more than just some writing group I'm part of, but a community of believes that support and cheer me on for more than just writing. They all understanding when I can't get to things right away. An example is that it was almost 24 hour before I could respond to comments on my chapter in the critique forum. I have may dependants and yesterday my day started with being chewed out for doing dishes... with water. It was a dementia moment where she could not remember that you needed water to do dishes. My day just went on from there, but my point is, everyone understood I could not get to things right away. They will understand for you also. 😊 So pray about it and go where God leads you. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KR LaLonde said:

I also can't remember if I've reviewed enough to post anything more. *shrugs* Not that I have much to post.

Kendra, you can go to your profile and look through your comments (and click for more there). You can also use the search function to look things up.

• Like 1

Thanks so much, Alley. That was really encouraging to read. I appreciate what you said.

You're very right about this being a community and being able to be a part of it in spite of things. I lost sight of that for a bit.

Okay, you've convinced me. I'll stay. At least for a bit longer to see if I really fit.

1 minute ago, lynnmosher said:

You can also use the search function to look things up.

Oops. My bad! I never thought of that.

1 hour ago, KR LaLonde said:

not to mention several comments get left below someone's story before I get the chance to leave some type of review. You're all so much faster than I am!

I'm confused. What's wrong with leaving your reply after other people have left their replies? 🤔

• Like 1

If I have anything to mention about what's been posted, it's already been said. Ie, missing comma or colon or needing to reword a sentence. Etc. That's all.

Posted (edited)

I'm sure you're right. I just think if I can post more of my writing and get feedback I'll be able to give others better comments than great read! loved it! and the like.

But then there's the other side of the "coin". If I don't think about others more (or at least as much as they think about my stuff) then it's not very equal.

Edited by KR LaLonde

You can also say WHY you liked it! That helps people a lot, too. "I like what you did with the blah blah blah part, that really spoke to me."

Or if you can think of a way to take a sentence that isn't working, try saying, "You could also say..."

• Like 2

There's that.

I'm not very good at reading things on the computer screen ... but I'm working on it. This could make for good practice, I guess.

Posted (edited)

Do they exist with inflections? emotions? anything😮

As you can likely tell from my posts... I'm a pretty complicated female.

Edited by KR LaLonde

20 hours ago, KR LaLonde said:

I'm posting this to let you all know I might leave unless someone - or someones - can convince me otherwise. *shrugs*

Since you asked, let me take a shot at it.

First of all, I do understand online forums can be overwhelming specially if you are not used to it quite yet.

Now let me present my case.

This forum has no requirements, as such how many times you need to post, or be active, to be a member. You can totally MAKE IT WORK for your needs. Only requirement I know is that you post two critiques before requesting a critique. Let me say, if, checking every day is too much, just check it once a week, or biweekly. Take a month break if needed.

I am sure, there is a great spectrum of participants here, from checking every hour and responding to all messages to just reading interesting posts once a week or a month. You can choose to be anywhere in that spectrum, nobody will blame you. If you have nothing new to add, then don’t add, who is there to judge you? It is yours to decide.

Now, if you are expecting an individualized mentor, I don’t know if this is a right place. To be your personal mentor (a person who can coach, and support you step by step), someone should know you personally, all your strengths, weaknesses, and all…. I don’t think any online forum may be able to give you that kind of help (I won’t even recommend sharing all your strengths and weaknesses here😊).

So, may I suggest? use it for what it is,

Simple networking,

Hearing from and responding to (only if there is anything, again, there is absolutely no pressure) likeminded Christian writers,

Learning from other’s failure and success, in their writing journeys,

Just, a “time pass” 😊

For now, if you feel you are not getting what you want from here, try and see if you can use anything you do get from here. But, use it ONLY as much as you want to use it, there lays the secret of using online forums effectively. You can really do make it work for you.

As far as “joined several groups or sites with the same common goals with this same intention.”

Why don’t we try with one or two, just to start? until you get comfortable with online groups!

Finally, my prayers for you to find the right group, and right support, so you can fulfill the GREAT call in your life.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2019 at 12:51 PM, Ahila Prabu said:

Since you asked, let me take a shot at it.

Wow! That was a lot of useful commentary. Thanks!

• Like 1

Kendra, I used to have internet access only at public library computers. This meant that the shortest interval to respond to comments was at least a week.

Other members would have completed line edits before I could get my two cents in.

And the frequent comment  for my own work was, "Surely there's more." Yes, there was, but I had a two-hour window to take care of all my computer business,  or sometimes a late arrival followed by an early work schedule.

But everyone was and still is supportive. It's what we do here, by God's grace.

• Sad 1