Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Claire Tucker

Desertion Stories

What stories, either books or movies, have the following rough plot line, either as the main plot or a sub-plot:

A character who deserts/runs away, for whatever reasons, later coming back and helping the main characters or becoming the hero. 

I know I have seen a movie or read a book with this plot line in it, but I can't remember which one. And I'm wanting to use this idea in my WIP, and just want to see how some others have done it. 

I remembered this morning the story I was thinking of: "The Red Badge of Courage" by Stephen Crane. Amazing what a good night's rest does for your brain's functioning

• Like 1

The Abandonment by Joshua Ferris I think it maybe what you are looking for? Doesn't exactly fit.

Story of a man who leaves his wife and then returns?

21 minutes ago, Bob Leone said:

Story of a man who leaves his wife and then returns?

Sounds like it will have some ideas. Thanks, Bob :) 

I feel like this is a plotline that shows up for "one episode" pretty frequently. For instance, on a TV show. I wish I had some examples!

I guess Han Solo kind of did this at the end of Star Wars: A New Hope! Though it was about a half-hour of a two-hour movie.