Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
EBraten

Authors offended by "clean and wholesome" tag

There's a dumpster fire raging on Facebook over Amazon's "clean and wholesome" categories. It seems to stem from this blog post. I don't even want to share it and give the writer even more of the oxygen of publicity. However, I think it's important to be aware of the zeitgeist.

A shocking (to me) number of authors are raging over the use of the terms "clean and wholesome" to label books free from explicit sex, bad language, and violence.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EBraten said:

A shocking (to me) number of authors are raging over the use of the terms "clean and wholesome" to label books free from explicit sex, bad language, and violence.

I find it interesting that the term "clean" so deeply offends certain people. To me, that's very telling in itself.

• Like 2

Just now, Rebecca said:

I find it interesting that the term "clean" so deeply offends certain people.

I know! My eyes have been opened tonight. We're minding our own business putting our books on Amazon's "Clean and Wholesome" shelf, and people are claiming that by doing this, we're calling their books dirty, we're harming women, we're rape apologists... 😕

Posted (edited)

It is very strange, especially since writers of R-rated material regularly call their own work smutty, dirty, or filthy as a way to attract the readers who want those stories.

So you can call yourself dirty and that's okay. But I can't call myself clean because that means I'm calling you dirty... 🙄

Edited by EBraten
  • Like 1

Words mean things. Words are important. That’s why we’re readers, right? That’s why this site exists. And the word “clean” when applied to books is a clear value judgement against books that aren’t clean.

Seriously?  I stopped reading after that. This author needs to get over herself.

Words do mean things.:

Clean (adjective): free from offensive treatment of sexual subjects and from the use of obscenity.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, EBraten said:

people are claiming that by doing this, we're calling their books dirty, we're harming women, we're rape apologists... 😕

I noticed that too. So by writing clean fiction, we're harming women and we're rape apologists? I'd laugh outright at how ridiculous that is, but it sounds like they're actually serious.

1-BBT_ZPaQIuw5YUqiQ1FXew-1080x588.png&sp

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rebecca said:

I find it interesting that the term "clean" so deeply offends certain people. To me, that's very telling in itself.

Just the quote mentioned earlier was enough.  I couldn't bring myself to read the rants.  These particular verses came to mind:

Isaiah 5:20-21 King James Version (KJV)

20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

21 Woe unto them that are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight!

Edited by TDDracken
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, EBraten said:

So you can call yourself dirty and that's okay. But I can't call myself clean because that means I'm calling you dirty... 🙄

A double-standard, as so many things seem to have these days. Sigh.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TDDracken said:

Just the quote mentioned earlier was enough.  I couldn't bring myself to read the rants.  These particular verses came to mind:

Isaiah 5:20-21 King James Version (KJV)

20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

21 Woe unto them that are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight!

Exactly what I was thinking!

So, they do believe in "Judge not lest ye be judged." Matt.7. [1] Judge not, that ye be not judged. [2] For with what judgment ye judge,ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to youagain. [3] And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? KJV

And they are understanding that this is applied to them.  They are just objecting to the Judge, which is not new.  If they accepted the Judge, alas, all would be well for them.

What does that leave those of us who do accept the Judge to do?  Mourn over the lost.  Continue to make available that which is clean and wholesome, without judgement, whether they accept that or not.  And celebrate that there is Mercy AND Judgement at the same time. God is the God of AND, a tiny word that messes humans every time.   

• Like 2

On 3/21/2019 at 1:09 AM, Laughing Rabbit said:

Exactly what I was thinking!

My words exactly.

It's like the Apostle Paul when in the book of Acts  “These men who have turned the world upside down have come here also ... saying that there is another king, Jesus.” 
Acts 17:6-7 (ESV)

They were turning it right side up. 

It is the world who is trying to turn it back wrong side up. 

• Like 1

On 3/20/2019 at 8:17 PM, Rebecca said:

Preach!!!!!

Even before I started looking for Christ, I remember searching for clean fiction as soon as they started to fade away. If anything, it helps with categorizing books that are clean in language and with no graphic sex or violence. It's why I also like to read and write sweet romances because I tend to prefer the story itself with no distractions of the non-clean content.

• Like 4