Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Zee

What inspires you?

So, what inspires you to write? Do you have a theme you keep going back to, or an idea you just can't get past? Or is it a certain character you've created, or a compelling world?

Or something else entirely? 

I write about abuse and human trafficking.  As hard of a topic as this is, I want to bring the people, situation, thought prosses and so much more, into the light of day.  To help others better understand, and to let the ones going through those kinds of things, know that they are not alone, and this is not something exclusive to them.  If I help one person or a million, it's worth it.  That's what inspires me.  

The Bible. There are many themes and interesting things that pop out at me. For instance I was reading in Second Kings Chapter Six how Elisha's servant got scared because they were surrounded by an army. Then Elisha prayed and opened the eyes of the servant, and he saw the heavenly host on the hills around them. 

That gave me an idea. What if our eyes could see angels and demons?

So I wrote my first book, "They Don't Cast Shadows". It is at the "Publishers" now being edited. Edit, for the third time, I guess I need more help in my writing skills?

Anyway, that's where I received my inspiration.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Bob Leone said:

The Bible. There are many themes and interesting things that pop out at me. For instance I was reading in Second Kings Chapter Six how Elisha's servant got scared because they were surrounded by an army. Then Elisha prayed and opened the eyes of the servant, and he saw the heavenly host on the hills around them.

I like it!!! 🤗

Hey, @Zee what about you?  What inspires you?  

Edited by Alley
  • Like 1

Very cool...

I am caught up with the conflicts that do occur, and the restoration that can occur, when people from completely different backgrounds meet. That inspires a lot of stories.

Also love. God's love. What that looks like when filtered through messy people.

• Like 1

Since I write devotionals and modern-day parables/inspirational stories, the Bible is, of course, my #1 source. I once wrote a piece called Getting a Little Too Friendly. I asked, how about this for a movie? It's Lynnified from Proverbs 7:6-23. I've found that the Lord will use anything to spark inspiration in this ol' noggin. And I rely on that! :D

• Like 1

I like to take Bible stories and put some flesh on the bones. I make sure I follow the story line, but what were they thinking? How did others react? I think my favorite is the Syrophoenician/Canaanite woman.

• Like 1

I get inspiration from different places. Television shows, movies or even others' books. Usually, if it's TV I want to rewrite it so it's Christian instead of worldly.

That doesn't usually happen, though. That I write stories resembling others'. At least not to my knowledge.

I write a lot of the "you just messed with absolutely the wrong person" stories.

Bible stories that inspire me... John chapter 9, the blind man. I love that one.

I'm drawn to the unlikely hero - an ordinary person thrust into extraordinary circumstances, forced to reach beyond themselves to save the day (or overcome whatever barrier).   

• Like 1

I like to pursue a question or an idea in my writing. So a question could be something like "what if the words we spoke had physical implications?" and an idea could be "what if, in an arranged marriage, both parties eloped in an attempt to avoid marrying each other but wound up eloping with the person they were arranged to marry?" 

Most of my writing stems from an idea, but I do still explore questions through it.

• Like 1

Along time ago I read Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach. He believed he could be more then just another seagull.  I  enjoy encouraging others to be more then what they think they are. That's why I write.

William Porter, his pen name O. Henry. He wrote short stories with surprise endings. Live around the turn of the century, late 1800's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hmmm, I like the idea of a "you messed with the wrong person" story. Can totally see how a retelling of the Blind Man's story could be that.

And I'd be interested to see how one would turn a "secular" story into a "Christian" one.

And the "escape elopement" idea sounds hilarious. If you've already written it, you should share.

Usually, a family dynamic is a big factor in my stories. Honestly, I'm not sure why! Often it has to do with how someone's change in their lives affects the family and how the members react and deal with it. 

This is actually the first time I have put this into words. And now I am really confused why this is my common theme! 

14 hours ago, Zee said:

If you've already written it, you should share.

I'll put it into my "waiting for editing" list. 

8 hours ago, PenName said:

Usually, a family dynamic is a big factor in my stories.

And now I am really confused why this is my common theme! 

Sounds like family is important to you on a personal level. Which is why it will be a common factor in your stories.

• Like 1

I think cross-cultural conflict, and reconciliation is a reoccurring theme for me for the same reason. It's a big part of my life, past and present.