Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Alley

Writing with Dyslexia

Someone asked me why I have such a hard time with grammar and spelling.  Why I keep making the same mistakes over and over, don't worry it was not a mean spirited question, but one of curiosity.  It is not the first time someone has asked this question so I thought I would try to clear it up a little for those of you who might be wondering the same thing.  

I have dyslexia.  While some people see words backward or mirrored, mine is a little different.  It is a mix of the four visual examples below.  This is for all writing, including my own.  Not only do I deal with a mixture of examples below, sometimes I see words that are not what is actually there.  My best example of this is a restaurant sign.  Ok, silly I know, but stick with me.  I read the sign, and it said, FBI special.  I thought it was weird, and I know I can misread things, so I read it several times.  I read it letter by letter.  F - B - I.  When I was finally sure it had to be FBI I turned to my husband and made an FBI joke.  He barely glanced at it and said, "It says, Feb. special." And it did.  ?

image.png.f949eb48dfe8e256fc61a79bea051753.png

So if you are ever wonding why I can't seem to spell or keep making the same grammar mistakes now you know.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's really good to know! I sometimes have trouble reading things, but I can only imagine the trouble you have. :) Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for opening up to us. It was brave of you.

Do you use speech to text on the computer? I've never noticed any spelling problems.

Whoa!  Those examples make my eyes spin!

But I don't think you have many mistakes in your writing.

Thanks, guys.  I use Grammarly, but that only goes so far. I tried speech to text once but apparently, dragon naturally speaking does not speak hillbilly. ? And as you guys have seen in the critique section, I get a LOT of grammar and spelling comments. 

3 minutes ago, Alley said:

And as you guys have seen in the critique section, I get a LOT of grammar and spelling comments. 

Can't be more than anyone else. That's why we have editors. ?

32 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

Wait a minute- you have spelling problems?  Well, you could have fooled me!

Same here.

Thanks for sharing! Those examples are very eye-opening! I have similar issues with numbers. Not enough to have dyscalculia (which is sometimes called "dyslexia with numbers" and as a teacher I'm not sure I agree) but enough to make life difficult, especially when I teach math! ?

3 hours ago, Accord64 said:

an't be more than anyone else.

That's sweet to say, but I always worry everyone is so busy with my bad spelling and grammar that they miss other stuff.  

3 hours ago, Accord64 said:

Same here

This spelling message has been brought to you by Grammarly.  xD

2 hours ago, PenName said:

but enough to make life difficult, especially when I teach math! ?

I can imagine!  

2 hours ago, PenName said:

Those examples are very eye-opening!

It's so funny.  When I was young everyone believed you had to see letters backward or mirror image.  It was not until I was a teen that anyone said there were other kinds. (And you have them) 

Thanks for sharing Alley!

Take comfort that the Lord is not arbitrary,...your creativity and desire to write have a purpose,...that you should have to take a harder road than perhaps other writers,..,also has a purpose,...and the Lord’s purpose always prevails,...the Lord will equip you will all you need for that purpose to be fulfilled,...no matter how long it takes. There are others who need what YOU have to offer! ❤️

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing, @Alley. Storytelling existed long before the written word, and thank God that there are tools and support that will enable you to bring your stories to the world despite having dyslexia. But even more importantly, God can use you despite your weakness.

And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 2 Corinthians 19:9

I have tons of problems with my writing now.

I had health issues when I was eighteen and even now at 30-something the secondary effects are pretty major.