Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Johne

Indie Authors Find Firm Footing in Christian Market

This is a great time to be an indie author writing for other Christians.

https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/religion/article/79379-indie-publishing-finds-firm-footing-in-christian-market.html

Independently published authors have seen tremendous growth in the last decade, and the trend is increasingly advantageous in the Christian market. Often shortened to indie publishing, this category is defined as authors who act as their own publisher, excluding vanity or custom published authors who pay others to produce books for them.

Early challenges of indie publishing, such as acceptance and visibility, were even greater for Christian authors, according to Sarah Bolme, director of the Christian Indie Publishing Association (CIPA), which recently changed its name from the Christian Small Publishers Association to better accommodate the growing number of indie authors.

“The Christian market didn’t [initially] embrace indies like the general market did,” Bolme told PW. “Stores knew that books from certain publishers were theologically sound, but retailers weren’t sure about indie books.”

Amid the shrinking Christian retail space of today, however, readers who shop online are more willing to try indie authors. This, coupled with the ease of publishing platforms such as CreateSpace and fewer openings on traditional publisher lists, has led to a growing number of Christian authors acting as their own publisher.

On Facebook in the Realm Makers group, author Mike Duran had some additional comments:

I think this article misses one of the biggest -- if not THE biggest reason for the success of indies in the Christian market: The ability to publish content that the mainstream CBA market won't. Heck, I remember when Heather Gilbert published her first Viking novel independently. Though Vikings were popular in mainstream culture, Christian publishers did not think the genre could find traction amongst Christian readers. Well, Heather proved them wrong. This is one of the reasons why indie authors/publishers are so prolific at RM. We can write about vampires, space aliens, and ghosts without publishers telling us what does and doesn't sell. The indie market is playing a huge part in making spec fic available to Christian readers. Pretty amazing, and telling, that the PW author didn't see this.

• Like 1

This is indeed great news. It reflects what I've seen, too. I remember the first time I joined ACFW about eight years ago, it explicitly said it was geared towards writers of Christian fiction aiming to be traditionally published. When I rejoined this year, I was happy to see that it has expanded its support to include resources geared towards indies.

• Like 1

Good article.

But it ended with a puzzling quote:

“The growth will go both ways,” she said, “from authors with traditional publishers choosing to go indie due to a large fan base, more retail profit, and quicker publication, to indie authors with enough sales going with a traditional house.

That last part made me go huh? If indie authors (Christian or otherwise) get enough sales to attract a traditional house, chances are they're already successful enough (with better royalty rates) that there wouldn't be much advantage to doing so. 

• Like 1

Thanks, Johne! (Still catching myself writing the wrong name. 😄)

• Haha 1

Indie was his nickname!  Reserved for those who only shook their heads affectionately at his antics.

I am happy that the readers are being heard.  They were asking the traditional publishers to take risks, and one cannot blame those publishers for not taking risks. 

Trusting theology is a huge deal.  We all aught to have plain statements of our theology on our websites, the kind of statements that gather up all the non-debateables.  "We are all playing the the same sand box, though maybe with different toys." 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, carolinamtne said:

I didn't see the movie, but I don't think they called him "Indie."

29 minutes ago, Nicola said:

Indie was his nickname!

Not to be the off-topic, movie-nerd nitpick, but his nickname was actually "Indy" 😀

But I see what Nicholas was trying to do. 👍

indie-meme-265x300.png

Edited by Accord64
  • Like 1

Closed captioning called him "Indy," so a little tweak makes it work.

Indie Johne & the Trampoline of Destiny!

(I'm feeling Cocky® today!)

Edited by EClayRowe
  • Haha 3