Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

(I hate to ask for prayer so soon after joining. And after not participating very much. But it would seem I don't have much choice.

I'm struggling. A lot. I've always enjoyed writing, but that enjoyment is becoming less and less. I keep wanting to finish something. I've been told by several different people that my stories have merit, have emotional impact, and etc. But getting it done has proven impossible. 😢 I need some kind of help - I know it and I admit it. I've searched for and asked others to help me. They have to some extent, but I'm still struggling.

I would appreciate prayer. Thanks.

Kendra, you can always ask for prayer. I know you struggle a lot and I'm so sorry for all you go through. I'm wondering. Have you been to a Christian counselor? I think you need more help than we can give you here because I believe it is more than just writing. Also, you might ask the Lord if He is leading you in a different direction. Maybe there is some other area where He would like you to serve. We're always here and will surely pray for you and help you as much as we can. 🖤

• Like 1

Don't ever be ashamed for asking for prayer!  That's what we're here for. :)

And I'm praying!

• Like 1

I haven't been to a counselor since I was in the hospital, no.

I tend to think that God, church, family and friends help me through things. Plus, some weeks I just feel more down than others.

8 minutes ago, KR LaLonde said:

Plus, some weeks I just feel more down than others.

I can understand that.  Some days are just hard. 

Do you have something you really like to do?  Maybe read a good book or listen to some music.  I don't know.  Sometimes I just need to give my brain a break :)  Reading normally helps me.

• Like 1

I mostly just write. I used to make book covers and sometimes consider doing it again. Except that isn't looking too good, either. 😕

Just now, KR LaLonde said:

Except that isn't looking too good, either.

I'll bet yours look a lot better than the ones I'd make :) 

You should try to make one.  Just for fun, nothing serious. 

• Like 1

Just now, HK1 said:

You should try to make one.  Just for fun, nothing serious

That's how I started out making them. Then things got too serious. I really should start making them for that reason again.

2 minutes ago, KR LaLonde said:

I really should start making them for that reason again.

And that's the way it should be :)  I'm always impressed by people who can make covers.  Getting everything to match and line up would be really hard for me.

• Like 1

It almost comes "naturally".

But that's great!

1 minute ago, KR LaLonde said:

I just got all starry-eyed after being told more than once that my covers are good. :(

That's not a bad thing.  But you shouldn't hold yourself to such a high standard because of it that you don't want to design them anymore.  Just do a couple for fun.  Don't put yourself under pressure. 

• Like 1

Yes. Perhaps.

But I went overboard more than once and purchased severla photos from stock sites. Now they just take up space on my computer. 😕

Yes. Perhaps.

Yes!  I'm going to talk you into it :D

I'll talk to you later.  Dinner time... :)

4 hours ago, KR LaLonde said:

I can't wait to see you try. :D

It'll be fun!  :D

• Haha 1

I will be praying!

Just a suggestion - what worked for me so that I could finally finish something was letting go of the idea of perfection. The scene does not have to be perfect for you to move on. You can edit it later. It's hard to finish if you're spinning your wheels over that one scene in Chapter 4. I can thank @Alley for finally getting this idea into my head!!

13 minutes ago, PenName said:

what worked for me so that I could finally finish something was letting go of the idea of perfection

Oh my. I've tried doing exactly this repeatedly for months. My inner-editor won't shut up. :( I keep wanting and praying to move on past questions I have. But I'm not sure I even used the write word here: past vs passed. I'm always getting those two confused. :(

45 minutes ago, KR LaLonde said:

But I'm not sure I even used the write word here: past vs passed. I'm always getting those two confused.

I've had to look this up like a million times :D

What helps me is that passed is a verb.  Past is everything else. 

Keep praying on it. Remember that no one has to see draft 1 except you, and that even if you’re not sure if it’s past or passed, you know what you meant. 😊 Get the ideas down. The best words for them can come later. 

Also, you used the right one. 😉 

• Like 1

@PenName has got it!  It's called the rough draft for a reason.  If it were perfect, editors wouldn't have a job :D  And I wouldn't have to spend weeks searching through mine for typos... and going back after I've finished and finding another one...

14 hours ago, HK1 said:

What helps me is that passed is a verb.  Past is everything else

I've never really noticed this before. I mean, I know it's a verb, but I don't think I've ever applied it in that way before.

I also noticed just now that I said write instead of right. -_-

3 hours ago, KR LaLonde said:

I also noticed just now that I said write instead of right.

I do it all the time!  We're just thinking of what we really want to be doing :D

• Like 1