Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Johne

Writer’s Digest Parent Company Files For Bankruptcy

From Self Publishing guru David Gaughran.
https://the-digital-reader.com/2019/03/11/writers-digest-parent-company-fw-media-files-for-bankruptcy/

Writer's Digest parent company - F+W Media - has filed for bankruptcy. Here's why I'm not sad. F+W Media ran an awful vanity press called Abbot Press in partnership with Author Solutions for years and ignored writers calls to rein in the most exploitative practices. Writers Digest regularly took ads from some of the worst vanity publishers in America. Writers Digest also used its massive mailing list of newbie writers to regularly flog them exploitative services with zero value. I'm sad for the workers, but good riddance, quite frankly.

• Sad 1

I've bought so many issues of this magazine over the years.

I guess I can unsubscribe from the Writers' Digest emails. Not that I ever paid $199 for one of their webinars, but I have read through some of their articles. Some seemed worthwhile.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carolinamtne said:

Some seemed worthwhile.

A friend in a writing group I attended observed that Writer's Digest catered to those with MFA degrees. I realized that they seemed to be in business to assist those who were beyond my skill level. 

4 hours ago, Johne said:

I'm sad for the workers, but good riddance, quite frankly.

I agree with Johne. the workers always suffer when this type of thing happens.

From the article, I glean the following:( F+W now owes money to just about everyone. The filings show that it owes somewhere between $100 million to $500 million to an estimated 1,000 to 5,000 creditors.) That sounds as if their business practices were less than commendable.

I'm kind of astonished by this turn of events. Writer's Digest struck me as kind of the gold standard of creative writing entities.