Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Went to a Christian writing convention yesterday. I talked to several people and found that:

1. most know only how to write a book
  2. most don't know how to edit their books
  3. most don't know anything about a writer's platform. Of everyone I talked to, none of them were on Twitter or any other platform as a writer.
  4. Several had takeaways, but one committed the mistake of not putting contact information on one of the pages.
  5. Almost all were self published, and none had sold more than a few copies
  6. one person had written 14 books in 4 years.
  7. Not one person considered me competition, but a fellow Christian author which was good
  8. There was really good smelling mexican food there and I had no money.
  9. There was a guy there named Nikolas.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Interesting. Thanks for sharing, Nicholas!

I am sorry you did not get any Mexican food. Here's a taco. 🌮

• Haha 1

Goodness. Nicholas, that is terrible! Sheesh! Too bad we don't have CW business cards so you could have passed them out. That's an awful outlook for future published writers. :(

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Nicholas Reicher said:
  • most know only how to write a book
  • most don't know how to edit their books
  • Almost all were self published, and none had sold more than a few copies

😩 The first couple of points may explain why they only sold few copies.

17 hours ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

There was a guy there named Nikolas.

Always the highlight of a writing convention. 😃

21 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

Hmmm- that says something for the convention.  How many people were there?

it wasn't a large convention. Maybe twenty authors with displays. about 50 walking around.

Good group of Christians. The whole thing felt Godly, so that was a good witness, I thought. One person had lost a raffle ticket, but went up when they won a free book, and it was decided immediately that if they went to the trouble of memorizing the number, they deserved a prize without any questions.

After talking to me for five minutes, two of the writers were saying I should have been a speaker at the convention. I may email the person putting on the convention.

• Like 2

As I see it, there are two segments of writers. I've been associated with those desiring to learn all they can about all areas of writing here and on FB. That's one segment. The other segment includes those who are on their own,  not knowing there are groups they need to join. Not knowing what they don't know and what they need to learn. And that's how self-publishing gets a bad rep. :(

3 hours ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

Is this common that most writers don't learn anything about writing, the business end, etc?

No, it is not common. At least, not out here. The conferences I've attended have been very helpful, a lot of fun, and worth both my time and my money. I've attended sessions on self-publishing and I've met with agents and editors from small publishing houses. The presenters are people who have published both traditionally and self-wise. 

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience.

I don't know anything about writing, I've been learning as I go along, which is why I joined this and another writing forum. I took a mail-in writing course some years ago but it didn't work out well, so I hesitate to try an online course. I would really love to go back to college to take writing courses but it's not feasible. 

We're glad you're here, LR. We all learn together! If I come across some freebies, I'll post them. :D