Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
lynnmosher

15 Most Popular Fanfiction Sites

1 hour ago, suspensewriter said:

Wow!  I never even knew there was such a thing.

Yeah, it's a sizable genre these days. But I've heard that you really need to know your stuff, and I mean every little detail and nuance, or the fan-fic readers will tear you apart. They are very passionate about their material. 

For instance, I'm a Star Trek fan. Not a super fan, but not a causal fan either. But I wouldn't dare write ST fan fiction. I don't know nearly enough about the extensive details. Like what deck on the Enterprise "E" are the photon launchers located, or how many ships were lost at the battle of Wolf 359? Yeah, you need to know that type of stuff. You have to be a ST super-geek.   

Thanks for sharing this, @lynnmosher. I'll definitely check it out sometime soon.

Are you using any of these, by the way? I'll be sure to avoid those so I don't bug you too much. 😉

I've heard that if you are an author, you can never read fanfiction or at least you should not. (For your own books) The reason is that if you write something similar you could get sued. Something to keep in mind. 

16 hours ago, Alley said:

The reason is that if you write something similar you could get sued.

Seems to me that this logic would also apply to any other books. That would mean that a writer shouldn't read anything!

On 3/10/2019 at 1:01 PM, Accord64 said:

Yeah, it's a sizable genre these days. But I've heard that you really need to know your stuff, and I mean every little detail and nuance, or the fan-fic readers will tear you apart. They are very passionate about their material. 

For instance, I'm a Star Trek fan. Not a super fan, but not a causal fan either. But I wouldn't dare write ST fan fiction. I don't know nearly enough about the extensive details. Like what deck on the Enterprise "E" are the photon launchers located, or how many ships were lost at the battle of Wolf 359? Yeah, you need to know that type of stuff. You have to be a ST super-geek.   

federationclass.jpg.e92e8422fcd4ca1e86d2f86fb055dd69.jpg

1 hour ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

federationclass.jpg.e92e8422fcd4ca1e86d2f86fb055dd69.jpg

Looks like a fan-fic variant. Half of Trekkie-dom probably threw a conniption while the other half swooned. 

Nope! The die hards would recognize it immediately!!!

NCC 2100 - the Federation. Class ship of the Dreadnoughts, from the original Technical Manual.

Posted (edited)

And that's why I would never write ST fan fiction. 😥

PS: Is that considered canon? 

Edited by Accord64

I'd thought of writing fanfiction to practice writing, but very quickly discovered that I'm not a big enough fan of anything to be able to write any character believably.  The closest I can get is the original Mission:Impossible tv show characters, but I can't write complicated scenarios for them to go through! It would be great practice for me to try, though. 

If fanfiction isn't your thing, try other areas. Or maybe nonfiction. Whatever you feel comfortable writing. :)