Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Nicholas Reicher

Bible Factoid... Chiastic Structure And Psalm 12!

What is chiastic structure?

Chiastic (kee-astic) Structure is anything parallel. A-B-C-C-B-A.

While Lamentations is a series of alphabetical acrostics (like Psalm 119), some parts of the Bible (including some of the parables in the Gospels) are written following this pattern.

“To the chief Musician upon Sheminith, A Psalm of David.

Help, Lord; for the godly man ceaseth; For the faithful fail from among the children of men.

They speak vanity every one with his neighbour: With flattering lips and with a double heart do they speak.

The Lord shall cut off all flattering lips, And the tongue that speaketh proud things: Who have said, With our tongue will we prevail; Our lips are our own: who is lord over us? For the oppression of the poor, for the sighing of the needy,

Now will I arise, saith the Lord; I will set him in safety from him that puffeth at him.

The words of the Lord are pure words: As silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.

Thou shalt keep them, O Lord, Thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.

The wicked walk on every side, When the vilest men are exalted.” (Psalm 12, KJV)

Color coded so that everyone can see except the colorblind, Here's the structure. The first verse is a cry for help for the righteous, while the unfaithful fall away. It is repeated (echoed) by verse 8. that's the A.

B is verse 2. The answer of the words spoken by unfaithful men (they speak vanity, the tongue speaketh proud things, double heart do they speak) is the answer of the Lord in verses 6-7.The word of God is like the purest silver, purified seven times.

Now, you see that verse 7 says the Lord will preserve them forever.

“אַתָּה־יהוה תִּשְׁמְרֵם תִּצְּרֶנּוּ מִן־הַדּוֹר זוּ לְעוֹלָם׃” (Psalm 12:8,

Atah Adonai T'shmerem - the third word clearly says keep or preserve. The L'olam denotes forever.

I'm bringing this up because someone's bound to go to some other translation and say, "Waitaminnut"...

The translation of the King James on verse 8 literally is the only way you can translate this verse.

So nyah!?

What's the C section? It's the judgment of God - note the judgment of God reflects upon the lies, doubletalk and scornful words of the unfaithful.

It's important - Psalm 12 is a Chastic Psalm dwelling on the words of the unfaithful versus the pure words of God.

• Like 2

Interesting, so that explains a few thing. Except for the thous and such I like the KJ. Those words make it hard to keep reading. 

10 hours ago, lynnmosher said:

A little confused. Are you saying keep and preserve are the same word?

Sorry, was trying to keep this from degenerating into a Hebrew lesson. "Keep" and "Guard" are the same word. Preserve is a different word but related. Using Davidic Repetition (a common feature in the Psalms), a play on words is used to communicate and emphasize the concept.

Like saying, "He beat them, he destroyed them." two different words in English, but we understand the hyperbole of "destroyed" to mean an exaggeration of beat, meaning defeated.

10 hours ago, zx1ninja said:

Interesting, so that explains a few thing. Except for the thous and such I like the KJ. Those words make it hard to keep reading. 

I'm about to make you love the uses of "Thee" and "You". The King James is one of the few translations that shows the plural v. singular that both Greek and Hebrew have.

T words are singular - Thee, thine, thou.

Y words are plural. You, yours.

So, "I tell thee, ye must be born again", means "I tell you (singular) everyone must be born again."

Takes ten seconds to learn the advantages and uses of them! Opens up the King James Bible for serious study!

Love delving into Hebrew. I knew they were two separate words with slightly different meanings. I thought you were saying it was the same word used. Thanks so much for all this, Nicholas. I certainly enjoy it. Even though I'm not a KJ only user. ;):D

1 hour ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

So, "I tell thee, ye must be born again", means "I tell you (singular) everyone must be born again."

That I never knew, and I've been reading KJV for a while now! Wow!

2 hours ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

I'm about to make you love the uses of "Thee" and "You". The King James is one of the few translations that shows the plural v. singular that both Greek and Hebrew have.

Very cool. Will still be difficult to read, but perhaps that's a good thing. Thanks Nicholas 

3 hours ago, zx1ninja said:

Very cool. Will still be difficult to read, but perhaps that's a good thing. Thanks Nicholas 

By the time I'm done, you'll be a KJV pro!

I wonder if there's a certification program for this???

2 minutes ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

Nobody's perfect ?

I will agree with that, especially about myself.

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

Takes ten seconds to learn the advantages and uses of them! Opens up the King James Bible for serious study!

Bless thou, my Brother! Been preaching that for years.  Of course, I also have replaced "the LORD" with YHWH in my Bible (by writing it in) as well as Elohim for God. I have a whole paper on it.  

Also on chiasm, it also means the structure of the meaning of ideas in a paragraph even if the words are not cognates.. Here is a clip from my study "Finding YHWH".  It changes how we read the passage that describes YHWH's name (especially when hidden by the English Lord. That's where the KJV really fell to the English Monarchial Hierarchy in their translation "God's Sovereign The Right and Honorable Kinge James.." from the frontispiece of the original KJV.

Good to meet thou  @Nicholas Reicher I'm a Bible Nerd too!

Exodus 3-14 Table.PNG

Exodus 3-14 text.PNG

Edited by Guest
Grammer

appreciate your comments and enthusiasm, brother, but the W thing is a pet peeve of mine. There's no W in Hebrew!

I'm not a Holy Name enthusiast, but I can respect that you are.

Ahah! Now we get to how do we determine if the "V" in Hebrew is the V-huh sound or a W-uh sound? Or the half-way between like German VWuh! I chose to stick with W because I had to choose.  But I do agree with you on the actual lettering. Transliteration versus Translation!

Thanks, Brother!  ?

I go with the V sound because my people have always pronounced it that way. Since Hebrew is completely unrelated to latin, it made no difference whatsoever when Latin changed its pronunciation.

The Falashim have been separated for a couple of thousand years and they pronounce it V.

But you go with how you feel best - just know this is something that's one of those bees in my bonnet - I can't let it go when someone uses the W sound.

I'll try to confine it to a grumbly face?

Yeah. That's the way I feel about the Holy Name too. I appreciate your insight. I'll look into that a bit more. Perhaps I'll change my spelling to match!

1--thanks for sharing!!

2--we can use different colors?! *searched and finds the "button"* YES!

3-- LOVE THE KJV!