Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
KR LaLonde

Do You Listen To Music Or Other While Writing?

What do you do when writing? Do you listen to music? Do you have the television droning in the background (white noise)? Or do you need absolute silence when writing?

To be honest, I'm not sure what works better for me. My brain is messed up, so that could be part of it.

• Like 1

Kendra, I moved your question out of your introduction thread and put it on its own. You'll get better answers this way.

I usually have soft music playing. No singing. If there's singing, then I start singing with it and can't write! LOL xD But when I need to really concentrate, I turn it off.

• Like 1

Understood. And thanks!

LOL. That makes sense. I used to sing along all the time. Thankfully, after my TBI my voice lost any inkling of talent. *shrugs* I keep playing a movie I want to apply into the book. Of course, then I get terribly distracted by the bulging muscles of the one actor....

• Like 1

Thanks.

Not anyone's fault.

I suppose you could say I have moments of decent writing, but I doubt that a lot.

• Like 1

Oh, no. That's rule #1 around here: NO DOUBTS ALLOWED! LOL xD So hang in there and don't give up. ?

• Like 1

I listen to my collection of Grand Movie Themes. Soundtrack albums like Glory, Braveheart, and so forth. Composers like John Williams, Hans Zimmer, and James Horner are my favorites. 

As long as it is music and not words! Though I do like Gregorian chants, or singing in Japanese or Spanish so I don't understand the words.

I like soundtracks becuase the music follows a story with the tropes and sweep of the film giving highs and lows.

?

Thanks @KR LaLonde  (us Noobies have to stick together!) 

I can run my collection (including extended versions of all The Lord of The Rings and Hobbit) for 27 hours before it repeats. Of course, I have the collection broken down in times I wants softer elevator music style. For that, I have John Tesh (I met him once!) and other Instrumental only albums.

I have Amazon Prime Music subscription, and it is so easy to program a playlist. But I downloaded them too so I have them offline as well.

I find the grand and glorious sounds keep part of me busy while I am trying to keep typing. 

NICE!! I've been thinking of trying Amazon Prime myself.

I enjoy going to one of the coffee shops nearby. Well, one of them is actually a McDonald's, but it's almost as good.

• Like 1

Me too! I have to get out of the house sometimes. But now I am working almost full time so my writing is happening on the weekends. So I won't be here tomorrow or Sunday! 

Since I moved to PA two years ago I haven't found a really good place to have coffee and write. Where I lived in Buffalo a grocery store down the street had a great cafe that I used often. 

Whupps...gotta go! Just reminded I have to go get my neighbor and take him to the pharmacy (he doesn't drive).

Ta-tah! 

3 hours ago, RLBailey said:

I listen to my collection of Grand Movie Themes. Soundtrack albums like Glory, Braveheart, and so forth. Composers like John Williams, Hans Zimmer, and James Horner are my favorites. 

As long as it is music and not words! Though I do like Gregorian chants, or singing in Japanese or Spanish so I don't understand the words.

I like soundtracks becuase the music follows a story with the tropes and sweep of the film giving highs and lows.

?

Another James Horner fan... yes!

I like Zimmer's grander stuff. He writes some stuff that... ugh. Some of it is blah, some of it is astounding.

I listen to a large collection of the same soundtracks, also some Akira Ifukube.

And I've got a bunch of Bill Brown!

• Like 1

When I am drawing it depends on the subject. I create aviation art for museums. If the subject is WW2 aircraft I listen to Glenn Miller or Vera Lynn. The more contemporary the subject the more contemporary the music. When I am writing I usually listen to calming music except for when I write action scenes the tempo has to be faster. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yeah @Nicholas Reicher you got it! I agree on Zimmer, and I Like some of what Giocchinp does. But his renditions of the new Jurassic Park movies entirely depended upon Wiliam's earlier themes. So I bypassed it.

Its the Grand themes that get me. Especially James Horner and Korngold's use of horns. Brings tears to my eyes.

When I read Tolkien's The Return of the King, I could hear Korngold's horns as the Riders of the Rohirrim rode to the Battle of Minas Tirith!

When I was in elementary school the Rifleman was on TV and I loved the French Horns in the title theme. So I elected to play the French Horn as an instrument. Bad Choice! I like the sound but not enough to be a musician! ?

But I am a singer! Love to sing though I never really learned to read music. I can repeat what I hear by ear, but only follow the music if I can hear it too...

TheRifleman Theme Horns

Edited by Guest
Add Link

Perhaps I should start listening to music as I write again. Playing movies (even older ones I've seen) has proven to be more of a distraction than a help. Although I do get some pretty good ideas from movies.

• Like 1