Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Dramedy Writer

Phobias - What’s Yours And How Do You Cope?

5 hours ago, Lucian Hodoboc said:

Tanathophobia / hypochondria, and arachnophobia. I deal with the latter by keeping bug spray around the house and always being on the lookout for spiders. As for the former, it's making my life very difficult because I have a lot of health problems and I'm scared of death almost 24/7😥

@Lucian Hodoboc, I can’t imagine how hard it is to cope with tanathophobia and hypochondria. My heart goes out to you. When I’m distressed, I try to meditate on the Scriptures. Here’s a few verses that might help:

Isaiah 53: 5 “But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.”

1 Corinthians 15: 54-55 “So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?”

2 Corinthians 12:9-10 “And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.”

2 Timothy 1:10 “But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel”.

Hebrews 2: 14-15 “Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; and deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.”

Revelation 21:4 “And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes: and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.”

Okay, I should stop before I quote the whole Bible right here... I’ll be praying for you, Lucian!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

@Laughing Rabbit, I used to have to fly at times, and I hated it too, for the reason that my ears wouldn’t pop right, and the pressure was extremely painful. I tried chewing gum, everything that everyone suggested, but was still in intense pain when the plane would start descending. For days, I’d hear everything differently, as though through a tunnel. I dreaded flying for it.

I also have trouble with winding stairs I can see through—and without rails? 😰 I know what you’re talking about, and it is very frustrating when it stops you from enjoying and participating in life.

Thanks for sharing! This helps! I especially appreciate how you explained needing to watch the plane lift off from the window. That’s an excellent example of coping!

• Like 2

I have trypophobia. I cannot stand looking at clusters of small holes or bumps. It makes my skin crawl. Even thinking about images I have seen gives me the heebie jeebies. How do I cope? Thankfully, I don't see stuff like this too much.

• Like 2

For me, it's spiders. I can't stand them. We're talking full-blown, irrational phobia. Most of my nightmares involve spiders in some form. They're terrifying creatures.

I don't like clowns, either. I wouldn't say I have a phobia, but they do creep me out. And heights. But I'm nowhere as freaked out by heights as @jonjovi is.

On 2/28/2019 at 5:47 PM, jonjovi said:

Mine is being afraid of heights. Luckily my son takes care of all the high up and ladder stuff. I don't know what I will be when he moves out. I hope he does not move to far away. 😄  

I know what you'll do. You'll make me climb the ladder and fix, whatever. 🤣 But that's fine, as long as you keep killing the spiders around here! 😄

• Like 2

On 2/28/2019 at 8:42 PM, zx1ninja said:

I hope it wasn't a Gremlin. They're pretty tame and easy going. 🤣

Unless you get them wet!

• Like 1

I cannot stand spiders or any type of bug! I am scared of heights, which obviously is a bad thing, but I'm trying to overcome my fears with God's help. After all, with God all things are possible, right? :D:D

• Like 2

How about a phobia of this guy? He's nightmare fuel enough to name a new phobia for!

The-X-Files-1108-1.thumb.png.784271ae9f35654856ef08fbd82c6d75.png

But seriously, I guess I suffer from the run of the mill acrophobia with some basophobia mixed in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I don't really have phobias anymore, but I struggle with an anxiety/panic disorder sometimes, which can magnify my fears and make them feel phobic. My big ones are doing the wrong thing in relation to God, upsetting others, being caught out in open water by something big and hungry, germs, and cockroaches.

Edited by CM24