Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Lucian Hodoboc

Anyone Else Have A Wordpress Blog?

Do you guys have a blog that runs on the WordPress script? I just started one today and, goodness gracious, is it time-consuming and difficult to get the hang of! The learning curve for setting up the posts and the design and the plugins etc. is very steep. You also have to research a lot of legal stuff to write a privacy policy page that complies with the latest European laws (the GDPR). Seriously, this is kind of upsetting! All I want to do is write articles and create fun quizzes on my blog. Why do I have to study law or hire an attorney to be able to have a personal blog?

Edited by Lucian Hodoboc

Yes, I have one on my own domain. It is a lot of work and a lot to keep up with. You might check the free side of WP. Not sure if all that is required for freebies or not. You might also check other free sites to see what they require. There's also another requirement that will be coming soon and that is to have your site handicapped accessible. And all images must have an alt text for the same reason.

33 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

Yes, I have one on my own domain. It is a lot of work and a lot to keep up with. You might check the free side of WP. Not sure if all that is required for freebies or not. You might also check other free sites to see what they require. There's also another requirement that will be coming soon and that is to have your site handicapped accessible. And all images must have an alt text for the same reason.

What do you mean by handicapped accessible? And what is an alt text? Sorry. I'm new to WordPress. And yeah, the blog I started is on my own domain with purchased hosting.

What's your blog about? 😃

1 hour ago, Lucian Hodoboc said:

What do you mean by handicapped accessible? And what is an alt text? Sorry. I'm new to WordPress. And yeah, the blog I started is on my own domain with purchased hosting.

What's your blog about? 😃

*Handicapped accessible: Companies are being hit with not being ADA (American Disabilities Act) compliant. Mainly for the blind. For a fee. This is trickling down to the little guys.  The alt (alternative) text block is with all the info you enter for an image. This might help...

"Images should include equivalent alternative text (alt text) in the markup/code.

If alt text isn't provided for images, the image information is inaccessible, for example, to people who cannot see and use a screen reader that reads aloud the information on a page, including the alt text for the visual image.

When equivalent alt text is provided, the information is available to people who are blind, as well as to people who turn off images (for example, in areas with expensive or low bandwidth). It's also available to technologies that cannot see images, such as search engines.

You may want to research this for yourself. I did see an article that said the regulations are being reconsidered. So, I need to check this out as well. 

I write devotionals and inspirational stories. In case you'd like to check it out, it's here. :D

• Like 1