Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
zx1ninja

Judas There Or Not?

Here's the question, Did Judas leave before, during or after partaking of the bread and wine?

According to Mark and Mathew t looks like before, but hey, I'm still curious and would like some input.

The answer is yes. Depending on which account you read. I think that's one of those questions to ask Jesus when we get Home. ;)

Good question, Z. I had never thought to ask that. 

One thing that always makes me pause reading the gospel of John is when Jesus washes His disciples feet. He washed Judas Iscariot's feet, knowing full well that he had already spoken with the Pharisees and co.

If this meal paralleled a traditional Seder, Judas was not only present but singled out for special honor by the presentation of the sop.

17 minutes ago, EClayRowe said:

Judas was not only present but singled out for special honor by the presentation of the sop.

And all the while Jesus knew ... He just knew

That depth of love just blows my mind.

15 hours ago, zx1ninja said:

Did Judas leave before, during or after partaking of the bread and wine?

Yes, Judas was there. But Z asked the above question. That was the reason for my first response. When he left was a difference of reporting the account between the gospel books.

And yes, Claire. I totally agree. That love blows my mind as well. :)

Kind of an awkward answer, but - yes and no.

There's four cups of wine at a Seder - Jesus would not drink of the last cup, because that's the cup of the King Messiah. "I will drink it with you at the Kingdom" is a good rough way of putting it.

There's also several times we do the matzoh, including the very end of the Seder.

Matthew says no - Judas was gone during what we traditionally refer to the Last Supper, but in reality was only a small part of the five hour celebration.

Mark says no.

Luke implies Judas was there, but possibly a reference instead to Peter as "the one who betrayeth me", since it's followed by "Simon, simon, Satan has demanded to sift you like wheat"... but I think it was Judas.

John doesn't say. There's no mention of the part known as the last supper, as Christians think of it.

By a complete coincidence, I turned on some Klezmer tonight as I was trying to do stuff on my computer, and I've got Piamenta "Dances with Rebbes" playing in my headphones when I read this.

There's no such thing as coincidence, since Piamenta weaves traditional Jewish songs and prayers throughout the music.

Just another way of saying God influences everything we do.

And yes, Jesus knew from the beginning that Judas would betray Him, for thousands of years before. And not once did Jesus treat him any different.