Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Nicholas Reicher

What Not To Put On Your Web Site

If I got a link to an interesting article, followed it from Twitter, or got the result from Google, I'm there to read it.

I don't want a pop-up.

Definitely don't want two.

Three start to irritate me.

Four make me hit the back button.

I don't want a big screen blocking pop up to join your mailing list.

If I go to clip your article to Evernote, I don't wan't a second big screen overlay.

Don't tell me to whitelist you in my adblocker. You have little control over what the ad marketers want to put on your website, and I've learned the hard way that often they make HUGE mistakes based upon my research.

Don't have a popout video that scrolls down with my website.

And for crying out loud, I already know your "how to write a book" course costs a thousand dollars I don't have. And beg your pardon, most of the authors teaching these courses are fairly poor writers.

If I like your articles, I'll LOOK for your "join my email list" button.

Please don't pop it up in my face, along with a whitelist request, note about cookies, a video, several ads, download your free pdf of whatever enticement for joining a mail list, etc.

It is effortless to install all these things.

And it's really easy to annoy the visitor to your website.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

I don't want a big screen blocking pop up to join your mailing list.

Yeah, this annoys me to no end. Everyone wants to build a mailing list these days, and too many get in your face to do so. 

Oooh I really hate the scrolling video one. Especially when I have a sleeping child nearby..

No I didn't want to watch your video the first time! Now make it go awaaaaayyy! 😭

10 minutes ago, Accord64 said:

Yeah, this annoys me to no end. Everyone wants to build a mailing list these days, and too many get in your face to do so. 

fistful-800x347.jpg.a713a4cf6614faa08816ebfaee8e8381.jpg

"Now you're gonna join my mailing list, right?"

1 hour ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

"Now you're gonna join my mailing list, right?"

203169__38932.1542706213_380_500.jpg.35e2963b3ea4bd420a15b954402e43c2.jpg

"NO, I don't believe I will. But I'd still better get that free webinar you promised! "

Edited by Accord64
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

It is effortless to install all these things.

And sometimes nearly impossible to remove

I hate popups too! They annoy me to no end.

Speaking of mailing lists. I've tried so hard to build one because I keep hearing how important it is, but I've had a super difficult time doing it. And it doesn't seem very effective. I have 26 subscribers and hardly any of them even open or click through the emails.

Am I just doing it wrong? Or are lists overrated?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, dprowell said:

Am I just doing it wrong? Or are lists overrated?

I've heard many similar sentiments lately. Having a mailing list seems to be a default marketing strategy these days, but I see it as just another marketing fad. It had its time, and like any marketing fad, there's a tipping point when too many people are trying to use it. It simply loses effectiveness as it becomes over-saturated.

Besides, I think building a mailing list would be a different story if my name was, say, John Grisham. Otherwise, I'd just be spamming people with emails from some guy who they can't remember (and they already get too many of these). 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Accord64 said:

Besides, I think building a mailing list would be a different story if my name was, say, John Grisham. Otherwise, I'd just be spamming people with emails from some guy who they can't remember (and they already get too many of these). 

Very true, most often it is just spam. But I’ll give an personal example of where a mailing list did help an author sell a book recently... I’m subscribed to an author whose stories stand out as unique and enjoyable. She recently sent out a newsletter email, and in it she asked for reviews on her latest release. I’d lost track of what she’d released this past year, and happened to be extremely bored with the books I’m currently reading. So I looked up her new release online, found the ebook online for $3, and voila! Instant book sale. 🙂

• Like 1

On 1/30/2019 at 10:59 AM, Accord64 said:

I've heard many similar sentiments lately. Having a mailing list seems to be a default marketing strategy these days, but I see it as just another marketing fad. It had its time, and like any marketing fad, there's a tipping point when too many people are trying to use it. It simply loses effectiveness as it becomes over-saturated.

I agree. I think this marketing tool has run its course. Once you're signed with an agent and publisher, you'll do much better.

I disagree with many of these requests, but ok...

I've found that I am a lot more likely to download and check out their free ebooks and learn a thing or two from them if there is a mailing list screen that invites me to enter my email address before leaving their website, than I'd be if that mailing list screen wasn't there.

On 1/30/2019 at 1:13 AM, Nicholas Reicher said:

If I like your articles, I'll LOOK for your "join my email list" button.

Maybe it's just me, but I rarely, if ever, search a website for an email list even if I liked their articles. I'll just read the article, maybe bookmark it for later reference, and then close the browser tab without caring about being subscribed to their future content.

How about the next button.  You make an article with 40 images or paragraphs and put them all on separate pages with a next button to advance you to the next ad filled page.

On 2/3/2019 at 3:19 PM, Lucian Hodoboc said:

Maybe it's just me, but I rarely, if ever, search a website for an email list even if I liked their articles. I'll just read the article, maybe bookmark it for later reference, and then close the browser tab without caring about being subscribed to their future content.

This is the other side of a mailing list. A mailing list is the list in your possession, the names you have who have signed up for your emails. What you've mentioned is signing a subscription form to sign up for someone's emails.