Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Nicholas Reicher

What If I Got Dirty Filthy Sticking Rotten Rich From Writing?

I'd buy a house.

A newer car.

A Mac.

Open a Karate school.

Hang out with @Johne all day

Build a Lionel train layout that will end up in Toy Trains magazine.

And start writing my next book.

What about you all?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Every time there's a huge lottery jackpot I ask myself this question, so I've given this much more thought than I probably should. :D

- I wouldn't tell anybody outside of my best friends and close family members. People get weird when they find out you have a lot of money.

- I would buy a big plot of land (mostly forested and with a running water source) and build an eco-friendly house that was a mix between Viking and Elvish (Rivendell) styles. When I say, "build," I mean with my own two hands, as much as possible. If you want to come by for a visit, bring chocolate. :) 

- I'd donate money to worthy causes and projects. Yes, I have a few in mind.

- I'd pay off the mortgage/bills for my close friends and family

- I would still work on websites.

- I would still write.

- I would get back to art and more creative activities.

- I would quit my day job. I don't hate it, but there are plenty of other things I'd rather be doing.

- I would set my kids (and eventual grandkids) up eventually, but not right away. It's important that they go out into the world and work hard so they appreciate what they have and understand what it takes to get by.

- I've never found the need for super fancy "stuff," so my car, clothes, etc. would likely stay the same.

- I already have an awesome husband (who is also my best friend) so nothing changes there.

- I might do a small amount of traveling (I've always wanted to visit my ancestral homelands) but not too much. I really prefer home.

• Like 4

Remember, this is supposed to be a Christian website.  To what Godly and righteous activities would any of us contribute?

For myself, it would be a full tithe to the First Presbyterian Church of Greenlawn, New York!  I've been a member there for almost 52 years.  Members of the Congregation have  helped me through some very difficult times; even once when I was homeless.  That's when I learned to thank the Lord for even a breakfast bowl of cold cereal; and for the good new rented room, that my friends in the Church helped me find, restore my life, and get enough of an income, so I can pay my rent, have more than enough to eat, and live securely, in modest comfort.  

Jesus did say that if we seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness, then all that we need will be added unto us.  The Kingdom of God in this World is the Church.  If we use what we have to help one another, I'm not sure, but we might be that righteousness of the Lord, to which Jesus was referring.  

Of course there's more to it than that.  What do any of your think?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, William D'Andrea said:

Remember, this is supposed to be a Christian website.  To what Godly and righteous activities would any of us contribute?

Um, wow. So much for trying to show a sense of humor on a Christian website. ?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jonjovi said:

If I Got Dirty Filthy Sticking Rotten Rich From Writing I would keep writing! ?

Forever and ever and ever lol ?

Pay off debts

Buy a house 

Build a barn 

and fill it with little goats and sheepies ❤️

Then teach wool spinning to everyone! Hee hee hee

14 hours ago, Accord64 said:

Um, wow. So much for trying to show a sense of humor on a Christian website. ?

I didn't realize that the others were just kidding around.  That's a problem I've had, when I've written humor to be read, instead of a comedy to be performed.  People thought I was being serious, and I've received serious criticism for it.  

The problem is that when someone's just reading, he or she can't hear the vocal tones, and there is no laugh trac.  Now, before I post something humorous, I add the words "A Comedy" under the title.  

I think we're all just fantasizing and having a bit of fun. Although, full disclosure, I would try my hardest to do all those things (in my list) if I ever did have the means! :D

• Like 2

Not tell anyone, buy SCUBA equipment, a small place in Sodwana Bay, and another place in the Drakensberg. I'd make sure that the only difference people noticed was that I was going away more. I'd probably also travel. 

Truth is, the way I was raised was that you work for what you get, and life experiences taught me to hold money rather low in the list of priorities. I'd probably end up giving a lot away, and helping my family achieve their dreams. 

Ooh!!!

- I'd still homeschool.

- I'd still write and self-publish.

- Buy at least two homes: one in Norway, one in England. The one in Norway would have a view similar to Geirangerfjord, the place in my profile picture.

- Set up trust funds for my elderly relatives and children, but not tell them about it.

- Buy a newer (but not brand new) model of the van we've got.

- Learn wool spinning from @Shadowjess?

- There are a number of wonderful ministries I'd support.

• Like 2

I know that even if I had all the play money in the world and my dresser looked like a monopoly game, I'd still spend most of my time writing. So my boat would get moldy and stinky because I'd never take it out, my car would take probably ten years to get 50,000 miles on it, and the cats would never play with all their toys.

But I'd be running Lionel trains on weekends for sure!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/28/2019 at 5:13 PM, Nicholas Reicher said:

I'd buy a house.

A newer car.

A Mac.

Open a Karate school.

Hang out with @Johne all day

Build a Lionel train layout that will end up in Toy Trains magazine.

Sounds like a plan! Make it so! ;)

Since I have a serious nature. I agree with William D'Andrea. While not having been homeless, God did bring me through some difficult times in my adult life. I would give my tithe to God. I would also give offerings above my tithe to missions and to those who were truly in need. However, we would have two new cars in our driveway. We would remodel or add onto our house. And since I love to travel, Hubby and I would take some fabulous vacations. And I would still write.

Every so often I look at my 401k and start calculating. Then I look at my possible life expectancy and start praying. "Give us this day our daily bread. Don't give me tomorrow's bread, because I'll eat it all today."

When I dream of getting rich, it's more like winning a game show. That's how my MC got rich. Still, there are elements in my writing that might work as a blockbuster film like "Passengers" or a series like "The Librarian."

I'll buy Nicholas's computer when he gets his Mac, provided he doesn't wipe the hard drive and includes all that juicy software!

I just remembered that Nicholas was having computer trouble. So much for that idea.

Edited by EClayRowe
Remembered another post

14 hours ago, EClayRowe said:

Give us this day our daily bread. Don't give me tomorrow's bread, because I'll eat it all today."

That is an excellent reason to pray that prayer. 

After repaying my dad for all the money he's loaned me throughout the years (and said "don't worry about paying me back"), I would buy a farm out in the middle of nowhere and buy all the rabbits. All of them will be mine! And then I'd keep writing because the upkeep of millions of rabbits would drive me to the poorhouse otherwise.

• Haha 1