Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
zx1ninja

Critique Match

Never heard of them. I would be very cautious. If they have some guarantee that someone won't steal your work, fine. Otherwise, I wouldn't do it. But that's just me. ;)

Read the terms of service. Typical you can't do anything with their software etc.

As for plagiarism it is clearly one of their hard don't do and not allowed because they track who has access (members only) and clearly will assist in prosecution. 

Still think caution with extreme prejudice is warranted. But I may join to see how it actually works as a critiquer, not a requester.

Found out the copy feature is disabled. I think I forgot to say it's in beta. You don't critique in the work, it highlights the section and your notes go on the sidebar.

Their critique rules are pretty close to here, nothing harsh, be uplifting and supportive, but clear in the suggestion.

Took a quick look. They're basically a matchmaker for critique partners. 

11 hours ago, zx1ninja said:

As for plagiarism it is clearly one of their hard don't do and not allowed because they track who has access (members only) and clearly will assist in prosecution. 

But at the same time they state: "CritiqueMatch disclaims all liability associated with plagiarism committed by any users of the Web Properties."

I also don't see that they perform any sort of screening of members (other than having everybody rate each other).  Proceed with extreme caution. 

Overall, it appears to be a great concept. They also appear to be sensitive to the risk of plagiarism. I hope it turns out to be a legit effort. It would be a great resource. 

I've done a couple critique now, all you can do is read and insert comments. You CANNOT copy anything as the function is disabled. So far it's an interesting system. I'd like to get a few more in and maybe submit something from me. I'll keep y'all posted.

On 1/26/2019 at 9:42 PM, zx1ninja said:

clearly will assist in prosecution. 

That's a very hard thing to do. If someone copied your work, how would anyone know?

In any event, most plagiarism is of ideas, not page after page of verbatim text. And no one can own an idea.

21 hours ago, lynnmosher said:

That was my veiled point. ;)

I did get your point as it is a concern of my own, but until you check it out you don't know. Realistically though I have no illusions about what could happen. 

11 minutes ago, Steven Hutson said:

Reason #2,368 to attend a conference at every opportunity.

You know I've not been on too much lately, but every time I see one of you post you're trying to sell us on your conferences.  Go post it in plugs and proms and stop trying to shove it down everyone throat!  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Alley said:

you're trying to sell us on your conferences. 

My conference? I didn't know I had one.

For anyone who has trust issues, a conference is a fantastic place to make connections.

1 minute ago, Steven Hutson said:

My conference? I didn't know I had one.

For anyone who has trust issues, a conference is a fantastic place to make connections.

If you don't have them then why do you keep saying, "Come some to one of MY conferences sometime.  You might learn something."? You know what nevermind.  I am not going going to feed into this. 🙄 

Z, be careful.  People can still type on another page or handwrite things.  I do hope it proves to be a good resource but proceed cautiously.    Oh, and let us know what you learn!! 😃

1 minute ago, Alley said:

why do you keep saying, "Come some to one of MY conferences sometime. 

Heh. I don't have a conference, so as to make such a claim. But in any event, it's not about me.

People ask for advice, and sometimes a conference is a place to find the answer.

Sometimes a conference is the worst place for this type of thing.  You never know who you're tying up with- really you don't.  There is just no substitute for long term exposure.  

But if you're willing to risk the plagiarism thing, I'd say got for it Z.  If not, then don't.

12 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

You never know who you're tying up with- really you don't.  

Agreed. This is why you'll always be better off to get to know the people first. Which is what a conference (in any industry) is for.

Professionals (in any industry) who network at conventions, build a wide network. This is how they learn who to trust. After a while, they will never have to call a stranger ever again.

16 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

There is just no substitute for long term exposure.  

Agreed. And that long-term exposure needs a starting point.