Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Alley

The Real Reason People Shop Online

This is so true but at the same time funny. I laughed which is something I need to do more of. I personally shop on line because I do not have transportation. It is easier to get things shipped. Great job

I shop almost every day at a local Walmart.  There, the people at the checkout counters are very pleasant and courteous.  They never try to force anything on a customer.  There are signs and posters displayed, advertising similar things, to what' the clerk in the video is trying to impose on the customer.  The clerks at the Walmart don't behave like him.

The only thing they ask is if I'd like my purchases to be placed in plastic bags. They've been doing that for more than a year.   

A local County Ordinance has them charging five cents for each plastic bag.  This is supposed to help the environment.  If it wasn't for the Ordinance, they wouldn't be asking.  I bring my own, folded up, old Walmart bags.  

As for why I don't shop on line?  You never know if what you order, will be what you get.  Especially clothing.  What arrives in the package, may be the wrong size.

Edited by William D'Andrea

I work at a Walmart. Once in a while, cashiers compete for a prize when they raise money for charity or sign people up for something ( extended warranty or store credit cards).

Also, a big part of our quarterly bonus is determined by the "Clean, Fast & Friendly" score. An online survey determines this score. If  only the customers with complaints use the survey, we stand to lose 25% of our bonus, with most other factors being things we may not be able to control, like sales, profit, and in-stock.

I buy books, electronic equipment, and sometimes an app for my phone online. I bought shoes because I had a gift certificate, but I may end up returning them to the store because different brands run different sizes. They should be here tomorrow. If they're big enough to add an arch support or if they fit fine without one, they're keepers. (Again, it's only four miles to the store, but the online pair is a fantastic shoe at a good price, and the weather's not great for cycling.)

Amazon has stores where you scan your things and leave. I don't know if I want Big Brother knowing that I always buy a particular brand of sweet tea and lemonade, but if that means that the company will start producing a half-and-half blend of organic tea with lemonade, I'm all for it.

Hello 

1 hour ago, EClayRowe said:

I work at a Walmart.

The Walmart I shop at is located in Centereach, New York, which is on Long Island.   If that's the one, then it's possible that we know each other.

I started at the first superstore in Connecticut. I was able to transfer to Kansas City, Missouri when my wife got a job offer out here.

We have robots that do our floors and they're testing robots to scan for outs and straighten shelves. I hope to transfer to door greeting when I "retire." 

I do sometimes wonder if my customers from Connecticut followed me to Missouri

I live 45 miles from the nearest shopping center, and I do enjoy getting out and going to town for groceries, dinning out, movies, or visit friends. What I don't like is standing in long lines, waiting because someone ahead of me forgot to get something, or is chatting on their phone while attempting to make their purchases. The convenience of on line shopping is fantastic in my opinion, and frees up a great deal of my time to do things I enjoy. 

On 1/24/2019 at 10:04 PM, jonjovi said:

I would of told him my favorite ninja turtle, but that would be all! 😄

Raphael. Because his name doesn't end with "O."

We have to drive across town to our Walmart and even further to Meijer. These stores are too big for us. I walk with a cane and also deal with fibro. I can't find clothes for a woman in my age range there. Last spring, I was looking for a raincoat. I wanted one at least knee length. All I saw were jackets.  I wound up ordering one from Amazon. It has a hood and is the length I desired. The only thing I didn't check on was my raincoat does not have pockets. It will last me a long time. 

When I did my Christmas shopping. I only found one-third of the three things my husband wanted when I went to Walmart. I found another one at a store that God sent me to, one I would not have thought about on my own. I found the last item at Dollar General Store--white 100% cotton men's handkerchiefs.

I will monitor my shopping in the brick and mortar stores. Online shopping is not so bad.

Edited by quietspirit

UpHorror story. I'm still not sure how it will play out.

My wife and I got each other the same thing for Christmas: gift certificates to a shoe store. That sells just shoes, socks, insoles and laces. We both needed new shoes.

She drove to a store about ten miles away and bought the first pair she tried on  I was working that day.

On the last decent day off I had, I planned to bike to a closer branch of the store. Following the bike directions from Google maps, I got hopelessly lost.

So after a week of nasty days or work, I decided to see what they had on-line.

And, lo they were very good. But not available in wide sizes.

No matter. Sizes run differently for different brands. So, with an extra 15%off the clearance price, I took the plunge. The discount covered the shipping charges.

Tracking the package was easy when a prominent shipping company had it. Two days from Lincoln NE to a post office in KCMO.Maybe even my local  post office. But the tracking number for the one company isn't valid for the United States Post Office.

Five days after the estimated delivery date and it's not here yet.

Well, the nasty days mean I can wear my winter boots to work.

But if the shoes don't fit...

13 hours ago, EClayRowe said:

I'm still not sure how it will play out.

Can you contact the store and relate your efforts about tracking your order to them and see what they tell you? 

I had to do that last year with two companies. One of the companies contacted me and reduced the price I had paid by refunding me the shipping cost. The issue with the other company was my error.(Sorry to say.)