Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
paulchernoch

Deep Point Of View

Maybe it's just my take, but doesn't writing in first person eliminate the need to indicate unspoken thoughts? In the two examples given, I wouldn't have considered writing it the first way. To me, first person is all the thoughts from the character.

Not sure how this would work in third person without it having to shift to first person.     

• Like 1

Ah, good old italics.  Personally, I would like to see each characters thoughts in different font colours, quite impossible from a monetary standpoint, but gorgeous to the unfocused eye. 🎨

11 hours ago, Nicola said:

I would like to see each characters thoughts in different font colours,

Maybe different fonts? That might be cheaper.

4 hours ago, carolinamtne said:

Maybe different fonts? That might be cheaper.

Still more work than the ordinary eye wants to do.  

Look at Johne's thread on mind control.

Multiple fonts tend to be distracting, leading the reader outside the suspension of disbelief. It's used extensively in sci-fi because it can indicate nonhuman communication. so often you see bold, italic, sans serif, "typewriter" fonts.

And maybe it's easier to do in an ebook. I know I convert to large type so I can read without my glasses.

I've pondered over this issue for a while, ever since Caroline taught me more about proper formatting.  Italics communicate thought as well as emphasis.  I'm personally fine with it being used to indicate thought, but it's a serious oversight that emphasis also got lumped into using the same thing.  If someone want's to emphasize something in thought, you're out of luck.

I haven't really thought of a good method to adopt for this in my own writing yet.  The only options that stand out to me are underlining for emphasis, bold, or all caps which looks sloppy as it conveys yelling.

12 hours ago, TDDracken said:

If someone want's to emphasize something in thought, you're out of luck.

Maybe this is a situation where you just have to tell, not show.

Maybe I should just ... he paused, then shouted in his mind ... go home!

Personally, I would just bold what he shouts and leave it in italicized thought.

Edited by carolinamtne