Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
CE Martin

Where Are All The Christian Paranormal Investigators?

I recently released a non-fiction book of ghost (and other Forteana) stories on Amazon--they're tales from my own life, and stories related to me by co-workers and friends who personally experienced something possibly supernatural. Entitled: Stranger than Fiction: A Skeptic's Journey, the book shows how experiences and stories in my life shaped my belief into skepticism, or rather, skeptical belief. One chapter centers around supernatural things in the bible (e.g. giants, dragons, witches, etc. etc). Some of the first feedback I got on this book was surprise from a paranormal follower who was amazed that as a person of Faith, I was so "into" the supernatural. I explained that Christians have to believe in the supernatural--it's in the Bible. 

Now I'm wondering about Faith and Forteana... the Bible clearly tells us not to seek out spirit mediums, etc. Does that preclude ghost hunting? I for one, have never had to go looking for anything, and the weird things I've experienced can be explained away as not-supernatural.... but really, I don't know if they were or weren't. But if I did want to go conduct a little skeptical research on "haunted" sites, would that be contrary to God's word? 

As an aside... my plan was to release this book to reach people who like the supernatural. I write supernatural thrillers with a Christian-mindset, and incorporate as much modern Folklore as I can into my work, while making sure it adheres to Christian "rules", e.g. magic/witches/etc are evil. The plan has, more than one month in, fizzled. I don't seem to have reached any new readers.

Guest Steven Hutson

Have you sought out a professional critique? This could answer many of your questions.

In any event, I say, write the book you want to write. It doesn't need to be for a "Christian" publisher or audience.

1 hour ago, CE Martin said:

The plan has, more than one month in, fizzled. I don't seem to have reached any new readers.

Not having published, I can't speak from personal experience. It seems to me that one month along, especially with that month being December when people are up to their ears in Christmas shopping, a new book might not be noticed unless you've had some major publicity along with it.

I've had an encounter with an angel (I only mention this because - while weird - it matches with Biblical accounts of angelic encounters). Personally, I don't believe in supernatural beings other than the ones already mentioned in scripture and I find such things easily explained and not worth additional study. 

Most of the 'haunted' things I've seen presume an extrabiblical interpretation of supernatural beings and we simply come at those things from different perspectives.

• Like 1

I once saw a flying saucer hovering in the area. Bright silver. I waited a minute. Eventually the jet plane, which had been heading straight toward me, turned aside and I could see the wings and tail section. But for thirty seconds it definitely looked like a flying saucer.

Paul

• Like 1

That's exactly the kind of thing I included in this book, although in my case, I came to believe in vivid hallucinations after seeing giant spiders... that turned out to be bushes. 

Guest Steven Hutson

We live near an air force base where they keep a few B-2 bombers. Sometimes they fly them around town here for no apparent reason (training?). A few years ago I could swear that I saw one hover over a supermarket, making no sound or downdraft.

Guest Steven Hutson
3 hours ago, CE Martin said:

The plan has, more than one month in, fizzled.

What does your platform look like?

When did you start your marketing, in relation to the book's release?

I'd rather keep this thread related to the topic, not the failure of the book to reach new readers for my "brand". I just thought I'd mention it didn't work, in case anyone else has thought about doing this kind of thing. 

Guest Steven Hutson
2 minutes ago, CE Martin said:

I'd rather keep this thread related to the topic, not the failure of the book to reach new readers

It's all relevant and connected. It sounds like you didn't just write this book for your own enjoyment, but to reach a certain audience. The success of the enterprise depends (partly) on whether your marketing efforts reached the right people.

The "right people" might or might not be Christians. This is not a moral question. I say, write the book you want to write. Then identify the audience, and find the best way to reach them.

You seem to be walking many razors' edges at the same time!  There are more Christians who are legalistic about this topic than those who are not.  There are more Secular people who don't want their little fantasies explained away than those who do not.  

What motivated you to wander into non-fiction territory?  This is a very different world from the fiction universe, with all manner of different rules and expectations.  Reaching people there means having credentials in the subject, not just having a story to tell.

The territory between heaven and hell is full of the best and worst.  Humans have dominion there, as long as they stay close to God.  When they stray, they yield dominion to Satan.   As I said, there are razors' edges everywhere!  I am not surprised by anything that happens to me, or that I hear of, and I am more afraid of humans than any other being.  Humans, having the potential to be holy, are more evil than Satan's minions, when they stray.  

• Like 1

I agree with the comment above.  You should write your book how you feel.  I wrote a book based off of my sister who is passed away.  I still have a connection to her that is unexplained by science.  I believe there is much that we do not know.  I receive visions while sleeping, and they come true in life.  I watched my daughter’s friend fly into heaven, and it happened that day.

2 hours ago, Kat17 said:

I believe there is much that we do not know.

This sums it up neatly, Kat. What a responsibility you have!  I pray God blesses you with His guidance. 

• Like 1

Thank you very much.  It can be hard.  I had to look for the good in the dream, which was the fact that she was happy and flipping around in heaven.  I got to tell her mother that and it made her smile.

This brings up a question regarding supernatural abilities. Law enforcement today has used several psychics during criminal investigations. A few of them refer to themselves as Christian seers and are surprisingly accurate. This seems to step outside of typical orthodox thinking other than some groups that believe spiritual gifts did not end at Pentecost. How would a story documenting  Christians gifted with psychic abilities be received within the general Christian community?   

• Like 1

Guest Steven Hutson
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Blaine1948 said:

spiritual gifts did not end at Pentecost.

Psychic ability is not among the spiritual gifts enumerated in Scripture (such that they might cease after Pentecost.)

Edited by Steven Hutson

That is true, however we are told in Revelations that in the last days some will have visions. The Christians I'm speaking of all say they receive visions, non that I know of claim to have encounters with spirits. What they have accomplished has definitely been a blessing in many cases. I refer to all of these people as having psychic abilities, maybe my definition isn't correct. 

• Like 1

Guest Steven Hutson
Posted (edited)

I have no opinion of the modern psychics. I have no experience there. But whatever gift they might have, it's not anything prophesied in Scripture.

The Bible passage you speak of, is from XXX. Which, according to Peter, was fulfilled at Pentecost (Acts 2).

CORRECTION: That prophecy is from Joel 2, and cited by Peter at Acts 2. My bad.

Edited by Steven Hutson
Correction

8 minutes ago, Blaine1948 said:

That is true, however we are told in Revelations that in the last days some will have visions. The Christians I'm speaking of all say they receive visions, non that I know of claim to have encounters with spirits.

This is speculative enough that I would read it just to see how it played out. My friend Mike Duran has a series of ParaNoir books which skirt the supernatural line. I think they do so in a way which leads people to want to know more about Jesus instead of doing damage to Christ. 
The Ghost Box
Saint Death

• Like 1

I do not have psychic ability.  I am a visionary.  It is set to be.  I just see it before the rest of us see it, but it is set.

I had to say that God set it.  Trust me, this sucks.  Every day I wish that I had “figured out” what I was seeing.  I’ve had to learn to accept that this was Gid’s Will.  I as not to change it.  I was to find the food and pass on his message.  God is good!

I did not read my response.  I understand those who think it’s against the Bible.  I had that thought myself!  But, it’s my reality.  Through Christian counseling, I have learned it was God’s will and I just see it before others.  I can’t change it.  I am not a psychic, I only use that word because others call me that.  I prefer visionary.

Guest Steven Hutson

Kat, I have no opinion as to your gift. Only the proof text you offered. That prophecy was not in Rev, and it doesn't mean what you think.