Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Alley

How To Prevent Amazon Reviews From Being Removed

I hope this is helpful to everyone wondering how to keep your Amazon reviews.  Let me know what all of you think!  

Ah, that algorithm sneaking peeks at everything we do.  We should not be surprised.  

Yes, this was helpful, thanks Alley.  It confirms to me that I'm not eager to have Facebook.  And I'm encouraged to seek reviews without hustling.  

• Like 1

Great information! Thanks for posting. 

This has been a big, ongoing problem  - particularly for self-published authors. Some fall victim to "review sites" or to their own ignorance to Amazon's rules.

I haven't experienced any review losses (thankfully), but I always wonder how many reviews Amazon kills before they are posted. On more than one occasion I've heard from a reader who claims to have posted a review that never showed up.

I can understand Amazon's motivation for being so vigilant.  Their rating/review system is a huge part of the buying decision process, and there seems to be countless unethical sites willing to post fake reviews to game the system. On the other hand, it's also scary how long of a reach Amazon really has into our personal info.

• Like 1

If I sell books off my website or at a bazaar or someplace like that, how can those people post reviews ? What sort of disclaimer do they need to make?

Great info. I know for a fact there are people trying to game the review system in all kinds of ways including review sites, incentivized reviews, private Facebook review groups etc. Amazon is doing their best to keep reviews relevant and honest. Unfortunately, some of those honest reviews sometimes get thrown out with the proverbial bath water.

13 minutes ago, Sibermom65 said:

If I sell books off my website or at a bazaar or someplace like that, how can those people post reviews ? What sort of disclaimer do they need to make?

I believe anyone can review anything on Amazon. If they haven't bought it from Amazon the review will say "unverified purchase" ...or something very similar.

I am unable to review on Amazon because I have not spent the required amount of money there.  I buy my books directly from the author and skip the algorithm, thereby exempting myself from their exalted company. 

With the advent of this discussion, I decided to check Amazon and see if I had gotten any more reviews. I did - four glowing reviews. However all the older reviews were missing. I can't win!

Posted (edited)

On of the earliest lessons I learned in publishing: I should never be content to rely on the efforts of others, to sell my books.

My agent had a place in the process.
My editor had an important function.
My publisher had a role in the process.
My distributor had a part to play.
Retailers (such as Amazon) have a part in the process.

But no matter what anyone else does, the single most important party in the whole process was me. Marketing, publicity, soliciting endorsements, setting up speaking engagements, on and on.

Sure, those starred ratings are nice. But to rely on the ever-changing business model of a single vendor, for the success of my career? Never. Ever. It's a poor man's game. image.png.62730d393943c4096e6f81446ada813f.png

Edited by Steven Hutson
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Steven Hutson said:

But to rely on the ever-changing business model of a single vendor, for the success of my career? Never. Ever. It's a poor man's game.

Is there a full moon, Steve? I've agreed twice today with every word you wrote. 😀

Edited by EBraten

24 minutes ago, EBraten said:

Is there a full moon, Steve? I've agreed twice today with every word you wrote. 😀

giphy.gif

• Like 1