Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Rebecca

Writing & Publishing In The New Year - 2019

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 12:22 PM, Steven Hutson said:

Risky, esp for a first book. It's hard for a publisher to make money on a book that only sells a few weeks a year.

For 60+ years I have been put down by being told "That's hard. You can't do that."

I can be a realist, but at the same time, I refuse to be put off from following my dreams by being told something is hard, implying I'm not capable.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sibermom65 said:

I refuse to be put off from following my dreams by being told something is hard, implying I'm not capable.

Follow the yellow brick road to wherever it ends. You are capable.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Sibermom65 said:

I refuse to be put off from following my dreams by being told something is hard, implying I'm not capable.

I said nothing about you. And I have no opinion as to what you should do.

I worked in drugstores for many years. We sold a ton of Christmas merchandise every year, including books. About 99% of them sold during a period of six weeks in Nov and Dec. Barely anything before or after, even when we advertised them at half-price. Your book just might be the one that bucks that trend.

But publishers know from experience, to be very selective when choosing those projects. They will have six weeks where they can't keep up with demand, followed by 46 weeks of near-zero.

Steven actually does have a point.  Publishers think this way.  They're in it to make money, not to make authors' dreams come true.  That doesn't mean you shouldn't write what you want to write.  It just means you might have a harder road to publication.  

I have a story that might be difficult to publish, so I plan on showing it to my agent once I've already published something else.  I wouldn't think of starting off with a story that might be hard to sell.  I also would never consider boxing up that story and not even trying to get it published.  I believe it has potential.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2019 at 12:39 PM, Steven Hutson said:

As a stand-alone book?

Yes, it will probably be a short volume. Maybe less than 50 pages. 

10 minutes ago, SteveHolder said:

Maybe less than 50 pages. 

That's not a book. My most recent few issues of Time Magazine came in at 60 pages, and that's small even for a mag.

2 hours ago, Blaine1948 said:

Want to complete my first book.

Go for it!  We want to read it!

Thank you Nicola, I'm getting close, and working on it every day. I recently read my first draft, it was terrible. 

3 minutes ago, Blaine1948 said:

I recently read my first draft, it was terrible. 

All first drafts are terrible!  The good news is that you have something to revise and edit.  You can't do that with a blank page.  😊  By the way, congratulations on finishing your book!

12 minutes ago, Blaine1948 said:

I recently read my first draft, it was terrible. 

Welcome to the club!  God bless the redeemed!  

Even my 11th draft is terrible.  I am still learning. 

Edited by Nicola

I have two goals this year!

1) Set up my home recording studio so I can record the audiobooks for my last two novels.

2) Publish my latest novel (which is about the moon) by July, the anniversary of Apollo 11

Find confidence that what I write about others can understand.  I  have a abundant amount of stuff to write about, just need to learn how to do it correctly. 

14 hours ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

I'm getting out of my comfort zone this year!

Is there an emoticon for someone with hair-standing-on-end-frightened face?

:oops: I guess this is as close as it gets.