Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Rebecca

Writing & Publishing In The New Year - 2019

What are your writing & publishing goals for 2019? I thought it might be fun to start a list of goals to keep us accountable. Feel free to add your goals to the topic below.

I'll start:

• Write at least 2000 words a week this year. (This may sound tiny, but I'm a very slow writer. ;) )
  • Like 3

I have a goal to publish, but I am in between books. One is a completed stand-alone novel that's in a trilogy, and the other is a novel which is half finished. Leaning towards the trilogy book because it's my all time favorite, but still praying for discernment.

• Like 7

I generally have a few books going at once.  My mood for the day seems to determine which one gets my attention, but I pray for guidance and the Holy Spirit will keep me on track.  One thing I am working on is a commentary on the book of Jude.  I am really excited about it. Prayers are appreciated.  

• Like 4

This year I plan to finish (I've already started) some specific advice from a publisher.  Do some platform building.  Dive into revising and editing my book.  Once it is done, I will dive into learning more about the business side of the industry.  I plan not to rush myself, but take the extra time to learn as much as I can the first time around.  Only when I've at least got all the basics down will start implementing (for the business side).  This does not come with a set date, but I'd love to, and would be excited to, publish this year!!  

• Like 4

Test the waters of traditional publishing with a Christmas book.

My MG first draft is done, finish the first rewrite.

Begin more serious research for my next book.

Stumble through the editing/ghost writing for a friend who needs mega help.

• Like 5

Just embarked on the 90 Days to Your Novel  plan.(I guess this is my public announcement. )

• Like 3

I want to set up a website for a non-fiction project of mine, and use that to experiment with websites, building a following, marketing, and all the other important stuff that goes with writing. Oh, and actually finish the non-fiction book. That might be important. 

• Like 2

I want to obtain an agent ... once I have a manuscript ready to be seen!  I have a bad habit of jumping from story to story.  I need to stick with one and see it through to near-perfection.  ☺️

• Like 2

I'm always the oddball! I never have plans for a new year. I don't set goals...usually. Since I write devotionals, it's all up to the Lord what comes my way to put to paper and online. I have a couple of books started but I work on what I feel led to work on at the moment. Sooo...there ya go. It's always a year of the unexpected. :confused:

• Like 2

Guest Steven Hutson
On 1/2/2019 at 8:59 AM, Sibermom65 said:

Test the waters of traditional publishing with a Christmas book.

Risky, esp for a first book. It's hard for a publisher to make money on a book that only sells a few weeks a year.

Guest Steven Hutson
3 hours ago, jadijohnson said:

I have a bad habit of jumping from story to story. 

This can actually be a good thing. If you hit writr's block on one thing, move on to another. In this way, you're always making progress.

Guest Steven Hutson
On 1/1/2019 at 6:39 PM, SteveHolder said:

One thing I am working on is a commentary on the book of Jude.

As a stand-alone book?

I'm going to get an agent this year and get something published!

And finish editing all my novels instead of jumping back and forth!

I may stop giving advice this year. To date, my advice given has been taken badly, wrongly, or disregarded.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

I may stop giving advice this year. To date, my advice given has been taken badly, wrongly, or disregarded.

Oh, no! Nicholas, I don't believe that's true. Please don't stop sharing what you know! Please?

• Like 1

Guest Steven Hutson
24 minutes ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

To date, my advice given has been taken badly, wrongly, or disregarded.

I haven't seen you give any bad advice in here. 
But if someone responded badly? That's not on you.

1 hour ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

Don't stop!  I happen to enjoy your advice.

12 hours ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

I may stop giving advice this year.

Please don't stop! I have found your advice to be good and solid. And generally leaves me with a smile. So please don't stop. At least not here.

4 hours ago, Claire Tucker said:
17 hours ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

I may stop giving advice this year.

Please don't stop! I have found your advice to be good and solid. And generally leaves me with a smile. So please don't stop. At least not here.

Ditto! Ditto!  We need your voice here, Nicholas.  You need us to help you develop that "send it anyway" spirit that helps authors get published. 

I am planning a complete rewrite of Leoshine.  Drawing from the scenes I have, but reordering them, and drawing from the fabulous feedback and hard nosed criticism that I have garnered over the years, I can tighten her story and raise the level of my craft.