Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
CM24

writing partner Looking For Novel Help

Hello everyone! I'm looking for someone(s) to help me with getting my novel series on the road. I have a sense of some events and both protagonist and antagonist characters, but my overall world building, plot, and other characters need serious work before I feel I can start writing anything substantial. To date, I've only managed some notes and the barest start of a short prequel story to the first book I intended to write at first. The genre of my novel series is Christian fantasy with lots of action, adventure, drama, thriller, friendship, and romance mixed in, and though the views expressed therein are definitely conservative, I wish for this series to be as accurate a portrayal of the Lord and His Word as it was written originally as possible. Thank you all for your time and consideration, and I hope you have a blessed weekend and a happy new year!

CM, you might want to read this thread. Though it's for crime-writers, I believe it will apply to most world building. Asking specific questions will get you the answers/help you need. Not to worry that you haven't received any responses yet. It's the weekend (lots of crickets) and it's Christmas/New Year's. :D

Start with writing down your back story. Who are the characters? What do they look like? What are they wearing? why? Describe their family situation to include parents, grandparents, siblings, or just nosy neighbors. (Dad's father was clergy who was very strict and demanding. Dad broke away from home and went his own way. Tensions are still very strained. I share Dad's view, but my little brother just wants to visit with "gramps, creating more family tension. My sister is jealous because boys get to do things where she isn't allowed.....)Who influences them - in what way? How do they feel about those who influence them? Where do they live? How does that influence them? (ie, I grew up in the mountains where everyone depends on their "neighbors", whether or not you know them because dependence on others is necessary for survival.) What food do they eat? Meat and potatoes because that's what they grow? Lamb, because they're shepherds? Fish because they live on a river/lake or other large body of water?

Most of your back story will never show up in your novel, but by putting it on paper, you will understand their motives and reactions in the conflicts that arise. Also it will help keep you straight and not prone to giving conflicting stories later on.

Thank you so much, Sibermom65! Answering those questions has really helped.

Currently, my Microsoft Word is kaput, so I can't convert my outline into any of the accepted file types for this forum. Do any of you use Google Docs?

Writeway novel software is now free... I have a strong, strong belief the quickest way to fail at writing a novel is to use Microsoft Word.

Writeway is good, Ywriter is good, Scrivener is the best.

If you can afford $60, I recommend Scrivener.

If not, then use Writeway or Ywriter for now, do NaNoWriMo in november, and use the coupon code to buy Scrivener.

22 hours ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

Writeway novel software is now free... I have a strong, strong belief the quickest way to fail at writing a novel is to use Microsoft Word.

Writeway is good, Ywriter is good, Scrivener is the best.

If you can afford $60, I recommend Scrivener.

If not, then use Writeway or Ywriter for now, do NaNoWriMo in november, and use the coupon code to buy Scrivener.

I use MS Word all the time - not sure why you find it so awful. I know there are other good programs, but "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Also, NaNoWriMo has projects running in the spring (April?) and a summer "camp" in July. I find them more productive for my writing style and timing than the November one which hits me at a very busy time.

Hi

I would be happy to help you with your books. You are writing right in my area Christian Fanasty. My first peice of advice don't go over kill on the villans. If it is human then he/ she has as least one redeemable quality. It might be hidden but still there. Just something to think about. One last thing I am great at world building. If you are still interested feel free to contact me.

God bless