Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
euggio

What Do I Do If I Only Have A Great Book Idea But With No Manuscript?

On 12/19/2018 at 2:13 AM, Nicholas Reicher said:

Give something a try. Write 1667 words a day. You'll be done in six weeks.

This is very precise. Is this the magic number of novel writing? Anyway, I made half that today (I was mostly doing research). I will add a few more words later.

Edited by euggio

1 hour ago, euggio said:

This is very precise. Is this the magic number of novel writing? Anyway, I made half that today (I was mostly doing research). I will add a few more words later.

Because you'll be done with the first draft in six weeks.

6 hours ago, euggio said:

Anyway, I made half that today (I was mostly doing research).

You started! :D  What were you researching?

euggio

I know you can write it yourself. I takes time and dedication. I know because that's what I did. I was just a retired carpenter working for the city with no experience. I didn’t even know how to type on a keyboard! This is what I did:

1. I started, like you, with a concept and characters. Then I made a broad outline.

2. With the outline, I planed the scenes and divided them into chapters.

3. Then I made an outline of each scene. That’s when the ideas begin to flow. Creative juices are activated when you plan and imagine what can happen in a scene.

4. During the planning stage, I read books about writing. I found these books by James Scott Bell very helpful:

Plot & Structure

Revision & Self-Editing

How to Write Dazzling Dialogue

Conflict and Suspense

27 Fiction Writing Blunders - And How Not To Make Them!

5. Once you have devised the plot and structure with your scene’s outlines then begin to write each scene. Write the first draft all the way through, don’t stop! It will suck big time! Not a single author has written a great or even good first draft. All the great novels come from revision, revision, revision. I think I must be on my thirtieth revision. I lost count.

6. As you write, study the writing style of your favorite authors. Mark up the books you study and take notes. Never stop studying other authors.

7. Make lists. I have a whole binder of synonyms, words and phrases etc. I also made lists of action beats (action that breaks up dialog).

8. When you revise, use the lists to make you’re writing more pleasurable.

9. Once you have a passable manuscript, ask beta readers to critique your work. Have a tough skin and don’t let comments get to you. They’re just trying to make it better. Treat them right.

10. This is where you decide to go the publisher route or self-publish.

Good Luck, oh by-the-way, I have six years into my manuscript. I didn’t have much spare time either. Plus, its 224k words long. (And that was just half-way through my original outline!)

You can do it euggio. Press on!

John

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HK1 said:

You started! :D  What were you researching?

Yeahh 🙌 Yesterday I ended up writing 1,018 words and messing up with the narrator. In one part I used the omniscient narrator and in another part a character as narrator. Eek. A rewrite is required at the very beginning. I don't know how to call them other than parts, bunch of paragraphs separated with *** in the same chapter.

I did some research because I want the story as close to reality as possible. It's a realist novel. I researched news about a suicide in the Parisian metro, how that kind of news is treated in the French media, distance walked from one place to another. Stuff like that. And since it is also about a Witness woman incarnating all or most of the views of her sect which she saw of course as the only true religion while keeping a few secrets, I also had to read many things about that organization so that what I wrote is not pure fiction.

I sometimes read stories from the end. So I tried to work on a juicy end but I am not satisfied with what I have had so far. Still, I am partly satisfied only with my opening scene and my blurb. I will post them in the Critique & Feedback section for everyone to review and help.

Hey @John Sellers. Good experience and plan. You must be writing a memoir or a nonfiction book. And six years? Maybe it's because of lack of time and perfectionism. Anyway, hats off. I love plans and so far I have been taking a bit from all plans out there in order to create my own. I will surely borrow some of yours. My biggest problem is that one scene is sensational for me today and the next day it becomes a subject of self-mockery. I am considering making a scenario planning too, for those scenes I thought was nonsense may come back in my good graces again. 

Edited by euggio

5 minutes ago, euggio said:

A rewrite is required at the very beginning.

No it isn't. What the first draft is for, is to get the information down. Get a few chapters down, and then go back and analyze it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, euggio said:

Yesterday I ended up writing 1,018 words and messing up with the narrator. In one part I used the omniscient narrator and in another part a character as narrator. Eek. A rewrite is required at the very beginning. 

You've already got a really good start!  Don't worry about rewriting yet.  Just get it all out there :D

euggio:

“You must be writing a memoir or a nonfiction book.”

Actually, I am writing a fictional series telling about the experiences of normal people living through the tribulations of the last days. Yea it’s been done before, but I think I have a unique and an interesting viewpoint. The first book in the series is entitled, Half Hour of Silence and tells of events leading up to the beginning of tribulations. Here is my Goodreads post asking for Beta Readers that tells a little more about the book:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/19631027-christian-sci-fi-dystopia-alternative-future-225k

John

Edited by John Sellers

I rejoice to hear of your progress, Euggio!  Free yourself from the inner editor and WRITE!  Vomit words as a spasm of your creative spirit.  We are with you all the way!

And I promise to ignore your commas in your first draft.

I was taught about preaching and teaching that if it's repeated, it's important. So I will repeat what has already been repeated, just put words on paper. Don't worry about commas, point of view, or even spelling (and I can't ignore that!)! Just put the ideas down on paper/screen (whichever you use) and go for it. There will be plenty of rewrites later.

On 12/24/2018 at 8:44 PM, John Sellers said:

Hi John, I guessed it wrong. A fiction, that's great. But I am not a conservative Christian. You have recently posted your beta reader call. Have you found any beta reader so far?

18 hours ago, Nicola said:

Vomit words as a spasm of your creative spirit

😂. I will as long as I do not have what they call the writer's block condition.

49 minutes ago, carolinamtne said:

And I promise to ignore your commas in your first draft.

Please give the full treatment, when I deliver. Anyway, for now, I don't know, I have not written a lot lately. Have had to deal with some family issues, right before the new year. A dysfunctional family indeed. God must have blessed me with patience, for I am incredibly calm.

Blessed be the new year and those coming after it.  

Edited by euggio

On 12/20/2018 at 11:47 PM, John Sellers said:

4. During the planning stage, I read books about writing. I found these books by James Scott Bell very helpful:

Plot & Structure

Revision & Self-Editing

How to Write Dazzling Dialogue

Conflict and Suspense

27 Fiction Writing Blunders - And How Not To Make Them!

Years ago, I read some of these books by Bell. They were very helpful. My approach to researching craft was to read books about the problems I was encountering at the time during my writing, instead of trying to read about all techniques at once. Thus early on in the writing, read about structure. After the first draft, read about self-editing. When I wanted to focus on authentic dialog during rewrite, I would read about that.

Paul

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 8:26 AM, euggio said:

Hi John, I guessed it wrong. A fiction, that's great. But I am not a conservative Christian. You have recently posted your beta reader call. Have you found any beta reader so far? 

euggio:

This is my third and final go-round for Beta Readers. I have an ex-military friend of mine who will go over the combat portions of my book. (One of my main characters is a former Marine Raider) I also have a battle scene involving the Israeli military vs terrorists. After this last edit I should be ready to hire a professional editor.  That takes lots of money as you have come realized too.

I have decided to self-publish. My approach will be to establish a writer’s platform beginning with a website I am designing myself called “The Harvest at Earth’s End” that will be mainly articles on end times prophecies and posts about the book. Once that gets going, I’ll do a Kickstarter campaign to raise the funds to self-publish. The big price tags for publishing my book will be; content editing, copy editing, interior design, cover art and interior art (two maps inside the book), and book printing. The writing is only the first hurdle you must jump over to get a book into the hands of your fans.

So, write, study, write, revise, revise and revise some more. Eventually you’ll have a manuscript you can be proud of.

John

• Like 1

Paul:

I pretty much did the same thing. I studied as I wrote. Bell’s books gave me a foundation to build on. With that knowledge I studied my favorite authors to see how they created their novels. I would underline, make notes and mark up the copies of my favorite books. What I have found in my studies is that you should never stop learning. Read as you write to perfect your craft. It will shows in your work. If I don’t have time to read, I even listen to audio versions of books to study and improve my writing. In truth, all books are meant to be read aloud. Your final drafts should be done in this manner, read aloud to yourself or another person. It helps a great deal.

John

On 12/19/2018 at 8:22 AM, euggio said:

Of course. I will take only what's doable for me. I will take a look at each, including yours.

About that, I am already feeling my idea is not hot enough, but I will keep fighting that negativity. 😀 

Ideas.

Don't talk to me about ideas.

I have a brain the size of a planet and they say they have ideas.

Sorry. Marvin the Paranoid Android wants to hijack the thread.

Ten minutes to write down or record what you have so far.

Flag it.

Dust it off and look at it now and then.

On 12/16/2018 at 9:06 PM, Nicholas Reicher said:

I think you should write it yourself!

On 12/17/2018 at 7:16 AM, Katherine Johnston said:

Even if you hire a ghostwriter or collaborate with a co-writer I would strongly suggest learning the rudiments of writing: grammar, vocabulary, dialogue, setting, research, plotting, theme structure, copyright laws. It is a serious commitment to write a novel,...a great idea is only the first step on a long and rather unglamorous journey. To suggest otherwise would be completely disingenuous and no service to your query. 

Yep.  Honestly, you should just try writing it yourself.