Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
euggio

What Do I Do If I Only Have A Great Book Idea But With No Manuscript?

Hi,

Some book ideas popped up in my head but I have no idea how I can turn them into a manuscript. Should I contact a freelance ghostwriter first? Or can I just make a book proposal without that manuscript and contact an agent? Thank you for your help.

Either of those ideas could work.
But if you hire a ghost, you'll need to give them some direction. Otherwise it's their book, not yours.
With a proposal, you will need 2-3 sample chapters.

Oh, great. So I will just need 2-3 sample chapters. What then, if the project is accepted? Will they provide me with a ghost or brainstorm my ideas?

Euggio I'm curious,    are you wanting to do the writing or specifically looking for someone else to do the bulk of the writing?    

In songwriting, when I get an idea, called a "hook," I will begin by writing down everything I can think of that has anything to do with the subject (title). I'll write down everything I can think of that has anything to do with everything I just wrote down.  After awhile, most of the time, I will begin to see a direction I want to go it, i.e. a point A to B direction.  Most of my songwriting is co-writing so I am a fan of involving others in my process, but the trade off is that you give up some of your idea to them so they can contribute their part of the idea. I only say that because, with a ghost writer, much of what they write may be their idea and direction. I'm really not sure as I've never worked with a ghost-writer. I guess it depends on how all of that works. 

There is probably much information here about the "process" of turning an idea into an outline, into a rough draft, into a book. 

Good luck.

SE

• Like 1

On 12/15/2018 at 3:57 PM, carolinamtne said:

BTW, e uggio, I love your peacock. Is he yours or a picture of someone's?

Someone's. Courtesy of Google image 😂

On 12/15/2018 at 4:50 PM, SEHatfield said:

are you wanting to do the writing or specifically looking for someone else to do the bulk of the writing?

I have the plot and the timeline, main characters, but not the setting and how to shape them all. I guess I need as you said a co-writer in this case, but I said ghostwriter because only my name will be on it.

Even if you hire a ghostwriter or collaborate with a co-writer I would strongly suggest learning the rudiments of writing: grammar, vocabulary, dialogue, setting, research, plotting, theme structure, copyright laws. It is a serious commitment to write a novel,...a great idea is only the first step on a long and rather unglamorous journey. To suggest otherwise would be completely disingenuous and no service to your query. 

Writing a novel is a complex task, the more characters the more complex, and once the first draft is complete there is rewriting and editing. Even if you hire out your editing, you won't get out of doing some editing, and there is proof reading and more proof reading.

Don't get me wrong - writing is fun, great fun, and the satisfaction of a completed project is rewarding, but it is work, and a very long commitment just to complete the manuscript. Publishing the manuscript is a different journey altogether.

Good luck on your story idea! 😀

Edited by Katherine Johnston
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, euggio said:

I have the plot and the timeline, main characters, but not the setting and how to shape them all.

Do as Katherine suggested, but sit down at your computer and start writing. As you go, submit to this place, and people will help you. Learn the rudiments, and have fun.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

I think you should write it yourself!

I have come to think as much, but due to less and less time on my end, that will likely take ages. And it's also because I am already on a commentary, which according to my current editor's critique may take longer to polish. And now I have this idea about a novel, which screams to be on paper. Not that I want to burden myself but I was wondering why not use the help of a professional that would do the bulk of the work for me as @SEHatfield suggested me in his question.

Thanks @Katherine Johnston. You are absolutely right. As I have just said, it would be about the bulk. All the rest will be mine to do. I am learning this gig everyday @carolinamtne. I will have to admit, the fun is yet to come. I think it's because I am new and in a disillusion phase. But, eh, do expect more newbish questions from me.

Don't be disillusioned everyone has to start somewhere! 😀

Literature is an art, and like any art it takes time to learn your craft,...think a musician, dancer, artist or even an athlete also must learn the nuances to their field and practice to gain the skills needed for performance!

Great ideas aren't a dime a dozen so cherish your creativity - that's a gift! Don't give up on your idea,...just let it simmer until you have time to develop it,...the end product will benefit from as much thought as you can give to it.

On a practical matter,...get a notebook or journal, digital or otherwise,...record your idea into outline form,...add ideas as you think of them, or as ideas present themselves, it's amazing how often this happens. Clip pictures for settings or characters, or even moods,...add snips of research,...and then let everything just simmer until you have time to give to the project,...it will be there waiting for you, and you'll find all this prep will be a great assistance when you get to the writing phase.

DO NOT ever let lack of time hold you back,...speaking from experience here. My writing time is seriously limited, but I wrote, edited, and self published a novel on the go, with snatches often less than an hour or even half hour, but keeping to task and patience for the long haul have rewards. It's not easy, but doable! 

Also don't ever be afraid to ask,...it's the only way to learn!

God bless your writing endeavors! 😀

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Steven Hutson said:

Whole Bible? Individual books?

You don't remember? The comment on the Book of Revelation, with all the Greek I had to remove...

And @Katherine Johnston, I will just say wow for your input. Great advice. Thank you.

I would say that if you have an idea, you do not yet have a story. My experience is that the best ideas in my books (fiction and nonfiction) are not the initial idea that got me started, it is the dozens or hundreds of ideas that come to me as I write the book. 

The amazing inciting incident or cool premise or great climax or enchanting snatch of dialog that you start with you should view as the condensation nuclei around which the rest of the raindrop grows.

It is one thing to have an idea and long passionately to see it shaped into a book, and another to delight in the creative process that gets you there. That delight (or horror or pain) is what flows from your pen and into the paragraphs. If you hire another to write it, you get a book, but you will rob yourself of something magical: your book.

You might consider retaining a developmental editor, though, once you are farther along.

Paul

Edited by paulchernoch
  • Like 1

All of you are right about it. Anyway, hiring a ghostwriter is for rich people. Prices are crazy. I think my problem was that I needed to know some steps, like a baby starting to walk. Someone directed me to the snowflake method. I am considering using it. I did some online search and found this article https://prowritingaid.com/art/387/Six-Tried-and-Tested-Methods-for-Writing-a-Novel.aspx.

Edited by euggio

There's no perfect method - there's what works for you. Right now, just WRITE. Try the snowflake method. Try the other methods. I developed my own method, but it relies upon my own self confidence that I can write.

There's Save The Cat, Snowflake,... a myriad other methods.

Some writing software like Writeway has built in writing cards to make sure you're planning your story.

Here's a method I use - I don't know how it works for you.

Write out your story Save The Cat method.

Then expand into a 21 point bullet sheet.

Then 60 point.

Take your 60 points and load the bullet point description on the index card for every scene.

Now write the scenes.

Might work for you.

Might not work at all for you.

Give something a try. Write 1667 words a day. You'll be done in six weeks.

And can start editing.

Last point - your first two stories may be so horrible you will just want to bury them. No worries. Keep writing

• Like 1

Of course. I will take only what's doable for me. I will take a look at each, including yours.

13 hours ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

Last point - your first two stories may be so horrible you will just want to bury them. No worries. Keep writing

About that, I am already feeling my idea is not hot enough, but I will keep fighting that negativity. 😀 

14 hours ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

your first two stories may be so horrible you will just want to bury them.

Your second story may be a completely different version of your first story. Your third story may be another take on the first, but each time the writing will be better. 

If you don't write something, you won't get anything. 

3 hours ago, euggio said:

my idea is not hot enough, but I will keep fighting that negativity.

Negativity? Are you sure? Perhaps this is your intuition telling you that it could be better. Which is a GOOD thing.

It could be that too. But I called it negativity in that my motivation was no longer at the same level it was before. But I decided to stay positive.

24 minutes ago, euggio said:

But I decided to stay positive.

Keep at it, and start writing!  Your idea will expand as you write, and you'll start having more ideas too :D

• Like 1