Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Alley

Editing Your Book On A Budget - Self-publishing

Is it Find a retired English teacher who will read your manuscript for Apple's.

21 minutes ago, zx1ninja said:

Apple's.

Apples, bananas, internet cookies.  :D

21 hours ago, zx1ninja said:

Internet cookies, nah, but real fresh-out-of-the-oven chocolate chip cookies are beyond my ability to resist.

23 minutes ago, carolinamtne said:
22 hours ago, zx1ninja said:

Internet cookies, nah, but real fresh-out-of-the-oven chocolate chip cookies are beyond my ability to resist.

Quick, show her the ones your wife made!  😃

Ally, thanks for the link. The ladies have some good advice, including a few sites mentioned for editors that I haven't explored before. I'm always looking to improve the edits I get.

16 hours ago, Alley said:

Quick, show her the ones your wife made!   😃

If that actually worked I'd make them myself and deliver them before they could get cold.

Edited by zx1ninja
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zx1ninja said:

If that actually worked I'd make them myself and deliver them before they could get cold.

And we would eat them together! :)

Just now, carolinamtne said:

And we would eat them together:)

Got Milk?

1 minute ago, zx1ninja said:

Got Milk?

No cow, but I buy milk in the grocery store. I could provide the eggs if that would help.

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 7:42 PM, zx1ninja said:

Find a retired English teacher

I have a friend who retired recently from 40 years of teaching high school English. Now he's busily working his bucket list, which includes writing the novels that he never had time to write. And they're lousy.

For 40 years, in a room full of 16 year-olds, he was the best writer in the room. Today it seems that his writing skill is arrested at that level. Primary and secondary schools do a fine job of teaching kids how to communicate in writing, and maybe even with a modicum of style. But now that he wants to go pro, the bar is much, much higher. And he won't admit that he needs further training.

I value his insights on my writing. He's a smart guy. But for editing? Not a chance.

Edited by Steven Hutson

18 minutes ago, Jethro said:

I value his insights on my writing. He's a smart guy. But for editing? Not a chance

Proofreading?  

3 hours ago, Alley said:

Proofreading?  

Maybe. But I have so many experienced people in my circle, with much broader skill sets, who I would turn to first. 

Bible study? Apologetics? Spiritual advice? Marriage counseling? Sure, all day long. Those are his strengths. I love the man dearly. But not for professional-level editing.

6 minutes ago, Jethro said:

I love the man dearly. But not for professional-level editing.

I guess it would depend on the person.  Our own comma queen was a teacher for years, and can out comma the best of them.  😊  Still, I can see your point about your friend.  I guess what your saying is vetting, and sample work is important!  Definitely, agree with that.  

30 minutes ago, Jethro said:

I already know a dozen pros who don't need to prove themselves to me.

One day, I might have this — one day.  😊

Ah, the problem with generalizations. Certainly some former teachers would make excellent writers/editors/proofreaders/whatever. Others ... not so. Some folks who have never taught would make excellent writers/editors/proofreaders/whatever. Others ... not so. Some folks who barely made it out of high school can spot a whole in a plot 200 pages away. 

Jethro knows his friend and his capabilities. Another former teacher? Depends.

1 minute ago, carolinamtne said:

Another former teacher?

Oh, oh, I know this answer!  It's going to involve apples and cookies!  

13 hours ago, carolinamtne said:

Jethro knows his friend and his capabilities. Another former teacher? Depends.

Of course. But we're talking about two very different disciplines.

A high school student needs the skills to write a term paper, to demonstrate that he has mastered the subject matter in given course. Accordingly, this is what high school English teachers teach: a rudimentary concept of communication, grammar, and the parts of speech. Maybe even a  bit of personal style to go with it.

But you want to write a book and ask a publisher to write you a check for a fat advance? Entreat thousands of strangers to plop down $20 or more for it? That's a whole 'nuther world. The vocabulary is the same, but almost everything else is different.

Edited by Steven Hutson