Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Sunny

Music Recommendations

So I have always written while listening to music. Now I feel like my music is making me burn out. Tell me any artists whether instrumental or not. 

I know a lot of people that recommend https://rainymood.com/  

I like listening to the instrumentals on youtube in a separate tab.  Here are some of my favorites with hour, or longer pieces.  

Derek & Brandon Fiechter this is their fantasy channel.  

Derek & Brandon Fiechter

10HoursOfEverything

Premium Music HQ

Also searching "epic music" will get you a lot of instrumentals.  You can also narrow it down by adding something after epic music.  Battle, Pirate, Scottish, Celtic, steampunk, rock, etc.  

I hope this is helpful!  I had this topic a long time ago.  If I find the link, I'll send it over.  ?

• Like 1

Michael W. Smith - Glory - album is instrumental and very inspiring. Also instrumental selections from the movie soundtrack: The End Of The Spear

I tend to instrumental while writing, some vocals for editing, and whatever for research. Also for my novels, I find it helpful to make a playlist for my main characters typically using music from the era I am writing and switch to it when I am really stuck with keeping the character within profile. ?

• Like 1

Audiomachine and Two Steps from Hell for Epic music (please excuse the name of the last one. I'm still trying to decide whether or not to forgive them for it.)

Danny Rayel and Florian Bur for something more like background music.

Erutan for fantasy type music.

Adrian Von Ziegler, Celtic Women, Ronan Hardiman and Gaelic Storm for Celtic.

Eden's Bridge and Maire Brennan for a Celtic take on Christian music.

Mark Knopfler for ... well, not sure what genre he really fits in. Blues?

I also like to use soundtracks when I'm writing. I enjoy Hans Zimmer (Pearl Harbour; Gladiator; Spirit; The Lion King ...), Bear McCreary (the series Black Sails. Wouldn't recommend the series, but the music is good).

I also really enjoy Lindsey Stirling  and The Piano Guys. 

I also enjoy Spanish Guitar music and Jazz. Often helps me zone out of my surroundings and into whatever I need to. And then the classics, as others have already listed. But I'd add the Russian composers (Tchaikovsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, Shostakovich ...).

Generally, I listen to music that fits the theme of what I'm writing. For example, if I'm writing something more fantastical, I'll listen to fantasy soundtracks. If I'm writing a romantic scene, I'll listen to Michael Buble or something similar. If my character is on a camping trip, I listen to folk music or country. The music's gotta fit the mood of the scene or else be something I can easily tune out. 

Somehow I missed this the first go-around. Since I write devotionals and inspirational stories, I can only listen to soft music. I've had Pandora on my computer for ages and set up my own stations. And now, since we cut the cable, I have Pandora on Roku, which sounds so much better on the TV than on my computer.

The Paino Guys are in the mix of one of the stations I listen to the most. Includes Paul Cardall, Jim Brickman, David Lanz, and so many others. Mostly Christians. I may listen to a soft jazz station like Earl Klugh or when I'm just in the mood for something peppy, I'll listen to big band, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, or Christmas music. If I'm writing, I have to listen to instrumentals or if there's a vocal, I'll start singing! Love my Pandora! :D

I'm not helping here, but I've never understood how people can write while listening to music. I can't do it. The music will either distract me because I'm listening to it, or irritate me because it's buzzing in the background.

I know that I'm in the minority, though!

I can appreciate that because when I'm really concentrating, really need to get it right, I turn the music off.

2 hours ago, EBraten said:

The music will either distract me because I'm listening to it, or irritate me because it's buzzing in the background

I can't listen to music with words, it has to be instrumental, or I am distracted too. However, I have tinnitus, which (for me) is a high pitch ringing sound. It is always there, and if I'm alone in silence, it can become distracting, which is why I like having background noise. 

2 hours ago, EBraten said:

I'm not helping here, but I've never understood how people can write while listening to music. I can't do it. The music will either distract me because I'm listening to it, or irritate me because it's buzzing in the background.

Yeah, I'm with you, EBraten!