Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cephas7

Xian Poetry

Hello! I am a “Medicare” man who has written much poetry, mostly having philosophical, existential and theological themes. I work part-time as an addiction and mental health counselor, volunteer at a local prison camp, food pantry and participate in Saint Luke’s healing ministry. I am graced with a happy marriage, a daughter and son-in-law, and of course with God the Father, God the Son and God Holy Spirit.

No doubt like many of you Christian poets, I also have written two volumes, one free verse and the other metric--largely Christ centered. I have yet to find any publishers that are interested in Christian poetry. I realize that is a narrow genre and a publishing risk. I believe there is a market for Christian poetry in Christian bookstores, and other bookstores in their Christian sections. E. g. Calvin Miller wrote Christian books in a poetical genre, which were placed and sold well in Christian shelves. Moreover, I always see people surfing in those sections. The audience is for general and reflective Christian readers—especially those having poetical leanings (as most would, given their frequent exposure to figurative language in the Bible, i. e. Job, Psalms and Songs of Solomon).

Peter C. Venable

oelkers9@msn.com

Welcome to our writing family. Glad you joined us. I'm sorry, Peter, I removed your question. Hop over to the writers' forum and post it there; you'll receive better answers there as Meet and Greet is only for introducing oneself. Be sure to check out the FAQ to see how things run around here. You'll find plenty of help, support, and encouragement around here, so roam around and make yourself at home. Blessings on your writing!

Welcome to CW. In poetry you've picked the hardest discipline in which to get published (trust me I know). Frankly the only 'unknowns' who make any money from it are performance poets who sell their wares at their gigs. Not a lot of help to those of us who are introverts !