Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

I have an interest to pursue writing as a Christian, and am open to whatever that looks like with the Lord’s blessing. What do you recommend as a good starting point? 

First, hop over to Meet and Greet and introduce yourself so everyone will know you are here and can welcome you. :D

What genre do you like to write?

• Like 1

Thank you! 

As far as a genre, I am not exactly sure. I could see myself writing fiction, but could also see myself writing devo’s, blogs or articles and sharing some of my own story. 

Thank you for your help! 

That's cool! Multi interests. Be sure you search through the threads in the writing and publishing forum. You'll find lots of topics of interest there. :D

• Like 1

Lisa,...the best starting point for any writer is to study your craft,...thus read everything pertaining to your writing goals right down to the utter glamour of grammar. Read writers you admire in the genre you choose to write in. There are accepted rules of story structure for each genre that readers expect,...even down to the type of font you choose for your book if you should self-publish. A good dictionary, thesaurus, and grammar/style book will be your best friends. Read vocabulary enhancement, word origin books like novels! The more words a writer knows the easier it is for them to convey the exact nuances of what they are trying to relate to an audience be it fiction or nonfiction. 

While you are researching and reading,...write,...and write,...and write,...and then write some more. First drafts are called rough drafts for a reason,...it takes time to refine your work. Think of it like a sculpture,...chipping away at the story to get a rough likeness of what you want, then refining the details, and lastly polishing to get the final high gloss. Like any craft to master it takes time and patience and practice,...

As a Christian if you feel a call upon your life to write take heart that the Lord has a purpose for your writing to reach an audience be it large or small that only YOU can reach. Don't be daunted by the task, writing is work, often very hard, and can be isolating - just you and the keyboard for hours, but the rewards of learning your craft are great! Writers, write because we love it! The Lord is so gracious to give us joy in the process of creating and satisfaction knowing our work can touch other's lives for the glory of the Lord. ❤️

Edited by Katherine Johnston
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Lisa Olsen said:

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am not into science fiction at all😂

LOL okay

On 11/9/2018 at 4:51 AM, Katherine Johnston said:

While you are researching and reading,...write,...and write,...and write,...and then write some more.

I concur. Just write a ton!

In order to get anything written, I have to be super purposeful to carve out time and just do it.

I will sometimes travel someplace for the sole purpose of writing, or else my day gets away from me. I can barely write in my own home or my office - so I make it a point to just leave with nothing but what I need to sit and write.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2018 at 5:42 PM, Lisa Olsen said:

As far as a genre, I am not exactly sure. I could see myself writing fiction, but could also see myself writing devo’s, blogs or articles and sharing some of my own story. 

Do you keep a diary or a journal at all? That could be a good starting point. Just begin writing about your thoughts, what you've learned in your Bible study, something interesting that happened in your day.

To explore fiction, there are some great web sites that give writing prompts you can try. Here, for example, or here. (Penguin Random House is the first, and Now Novel is the second).

• Like 1

Write!

Start with "the." add 84,997 more words.

Add "the end" after that.

Seriously, if you're not bursting with ideas (I bet you are), do get a list of writing prompts and write a bunch of short stories. The more you write, the better you get.

For devotionals, I strongly recommend you study doctrine first - I had a reputation at my old church of trashing Sunday school lessons and weekly devotionals for inaccuracies, wrong conclusions, errors, bad advice and some actual heresy in one of the more famous monthly devotionals!

Your pastor can help point you in the right direction!

• Thanks 1

On 11/7/2018 at 10:42 AM, Lisa Olsen said:

All of the above!  Put finger tips on the keyboard, pray, and watch the wonder materialise!  For an even more miraculous experience, place pen on paper and wiggle it around a bit.  

We are excited to read what you write, Lisa!  Please share!  

On 11/12/2018 at 5:08 PM, Nicholas Reicher said:

Write!

Start with "the." add 84,997 more words.

Add "the end" after that.

Seriously, if you're not bursting with ideas (I bet you are), do get a list of writing prompts and write a bunch of short stories. The more you write, the better you get.

For devotionals, I strongly recommend you study doctrine first - I had a reputation at my old church of trashing Sunday school lessons and weekly devotionals for inaccuracies, wrong conclusions, errors, bad advice and some actual heresy in one of the more famous monthly devotionals!

Your pastor can help point you in the right direction!

Thank you so much! Such good advice! 

• Like 1